PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if there is good money with storage facilities?

justmjc
02-27-2004, 12:17 AM
I have always wanted to operate one, but haven't the slightest clue what's involved. I see a building with a good security gate, and electricity run to the units. I can't imagine the setup costing too much if making payments on it. Considering, units rent from $50-$150/ month, that looks like a good investment. Anyone know about them as far as income/overhead, expenses, approx lease capacity %, and such?

We have a local Lawn company that built a building where they operate out of half of it, and the other side is a storage facility to the public. They don't plow in the winter and they are a midsize company. I have to imagine, they make good money in the winter months.

I've ALWAYS wanted to do this exact setup and make year round income this way. Any ideas, suggestions, info? Has this topic been talked about before?

justmjc
02-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Haha, I was on the storage usa franchise site and they said min. investment was 1.97 million. I just want to setup a small building up to code and rent the units out to avoid wintertime layoffs. Of course make a profit as well.

2 million, these people are very crazy....;)

DUSTYCEDAR
02-27-2004, 12:37 AM
we have a huge shurgard storage place
half of it burned to the ground arson was the cause however they found that people were storeing all kinds of flammable and explosive stuff in it the fire was hard to put out
just something to think about

impactlandscaping
02-27-2004, 02:54 AM
A friend of mine has about1.5M in his place.All climate controlled, secured keycode access gate,6ft cyclone w/ 3 strand barb wire runners, etc..He just opened about 1.5 years ago, and now has 6 main buildings with about 60-100 units in each ranging in price from $ 39.00 to $ 159.00 per month. He has a waiting list usually for new renters, and has the slickest contracts and software designed just for this biz.