PDA

View Full Version : What size zero turn to buy?

ALLFERRIS
02-26-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm looking to buy my first zero turn and need some advice. Now I have two 48" WB and a 61" WB. What size Z should I get. Does a 52" sound right? I only use one 48 and the 61, the other is a back up

specialtylc
02-27-2004, 12:06 AM
60inch is apretty good choice. Need pretty flat ground for a 72. And the 60 will get into about as tight as areas as a 52 or 54.

Tonyr
02-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Hi Kevin,

a 60'' deck is most used for by general contractors, not too big and not too small, a good design will have a good amount of left side trim overhang

I just bought, actually today, a new toro 588e, efi and 60'' turbo force deck, this machine can go into tighter areas than my toro front mount pictured left. Seriously!

28hp kohler, efi, 60'' deck, mulch or side discharge, does both great, certainly enough power!

Yeah, so demo a toro 588E, you will like it.

ALLFERRIS
02-27-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks, I hope to demo some later this week. The dealer I have bought all of my previous equipment from sells ferris and dixie chopper. Right now I am leaning toward a ferris, but I hear alot of good things toro, so I'll let you know. Thanks

Tonyr
02-27-2004, 01:16 AM
If ride quality is important while all are good-ish, comparing spring suspension machine to a suspension seat machine, the best ride I found from my comparison was the suspension seat gave a better ride, now if the ferris came with a suspension seat AND the springs, now that would be one awsome mower!

the springs while great and all, but just don't take as much rough out of the ride as a good suspension seat imo.

Ferris IS 3000 cuts well, overall a good rig, only drawback is if you mulch and require a dedicated bolt in mulch kit, they don't make one to my limited knowledge. Run meg-mo's on one and plug the shute, may solve that problem some?

ALLFERRIS
02-27-2004, 01:21 AM
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind when I decide to buy. I'll bring this up to my dealer also and see what he says

swim
02-27-2004, 07:47 AM
A 60 in gets my vote.
Not to big for most residentual lawns and not near as bad about scalping as the larger mowers.
It will probably become your primary mower so why not get the most productive.
As far as which brand goes I would just make sure you have good dealer support.

P&C Lawn Care
02-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Ferris is super mower but last time I looked at them they did not have a good mulching kit, yazoo/keys will out mulch them. But the IS is good on them. Another thing to look at for a first ZTR is mid-mount or front mount. If you are use to running WB's with the deck out front you may want to look at a front mounted deck mower, but they will be higher in price than a mid-mount. Grasshopper makes the best front mount that I have seen. Front mounts may be a bit slower than a mid-mount but they give a better cut and you will have to do less trimming with them. I think a 52" or 60" deck is a good six deck, not too large or too small. But I guess you only asked what size.