PDA

View Full Version : More pre-season drama...

KMSLawn
02-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Now I know I have been "vulchering" for quite a while but I felt I needed to vent a little on a scenario I am facing in S.W. Ohio. I have been overbidding on a corporate account of 12 facilities for the past 4 years, each year reducing my price in order to land this account. This year however I have an "In" into the actual bidding of these facilities and I wanted to share my frustrations. First of all these facilities are in a triangular pattern that takes me 45 minutes from shop to point A from A to B...etc. as well as most anyone else who would bid on any of these accounts. One of the centers gave me one of the estimates from another "supplier" that showed this person driving 45 minutes to reach the facility, mow, trim & blow another 45 minutes, and at least another 30 minutes to the next center (all that have to be serviced after 6:PM or on the weekends) and charging them $38.00. Where as I am almost double that price. First of all, bid at a price to where you can at least make a small profit, secondly understand what the market you are going into will bare, thirdly if you are willing to take a loss and look like a "idiot", like several other posts have eluded to, do not drive out of your area to do it!

I could go on and on as to how they are not charging for spring and fall clean-ups, only charging for 22 out of 35 potential mows, etc., but, I feel a little better now and will wait on corporates final decision, but I wish everyone on this site who is willing to better their operation, small or large, a great 2004!

Royalslover
02-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Don't worry, they won't be around next year, although someone else will be willing to do it for free.

metro-hp_48
02-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Wishing a great 2004, back at'cha KMSLawn! (Favorite train store is in Milford.......need to get back that way, soon. [Davis Electronics/Davis Trains]

KMSLawn
02-27-2004, 01:18 AM
Metro 48, I played college ball just above you @ WKU, beautiful area you are in! Wife and I have often discussed packing up and moving back. How is business in your area? Train store in Old Milford is still there!

metro-hp_48
02-27-2004, 01:22 AM
"How is business in your area?"

Could not be better. Having the time of my life! (just "doing time" waiting on the weather to break)

Johnny
02-27-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by KMSLawn
Metro 48, I played college ball just above you @ WKU, beautiful area you are in! Wife and I have often discussed packing up and moving back. How is business in your area? Train store in Old Milford is still there!

Hilltoppers,

I spent a little time in BGKY. From Jan. 1990 to Dec. 1994. Graduated from WKU (Agriculture Education). And I agree, a very beautiful area.