PDA

View Full Version : Extended reach hedge clippers

energy
02-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Who has used both an extended fixed head trimmer and ones that articulate 90 degrees? Are the articulating ones slower or offer less performance than the fixed? Does the articulating really offer good cut and balance at 90 degrees? Are the articulating ones reliable and able to handle abuse of thicker branches? Anyone with knowledge of the pros and cons of both, please reply.

homerescue
02-27-2004, 04:10 PM
I have a shindawia articulating hedge trimmer, it will eat up anythingyou fit in between the teeth and as a matter of fact i have sawed through much larger stuff than the teeth can bite. any way the articulating head makes it nice to work from mdifferent angles, takes alot less wear on the operator. You get what you pay for spend a little extra money, makes up for the ease of operation and makes your productivity mush higher which in turn makes you more money per hour or more time off, take your pick.

Camelot Gardens Uk
02-27-2004, 04:17 PM
As "homerescue" says they are the best...Shindaiwa easy to start, cuts privet and light shrubs well, Stihl HL75 for Hawthorn and Leylandii hedges. I do like the Shindaiwa AH230 the best as it rotates 180 degrees, easier for transport and storage.

ProMo
02-27-2004, 06:49 PM
If you have a hedge up agaist a house you can trim it a few inches from the wall with the 90 degree you wont be able to do that with a fixed set. Also a slight angle comes in handy for lower hedges because you dont need to bend over

BW4486
02-27-2004, 07:28 PM
We run Stihl HL85 With Articulating head.
I have used both fixed and articulating models and prefer articulating

xcopterdoc
02-27-2004, 07:59 PM
If you continue to hack at large stuff with the acticulating head trimmers you WILL be replacing the gears in the head. They are TRIMMERS, not cutters!

xcopterdoc
02-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Oh.. and for the HL-85 and 75's they are 85 dollars for the gear set.

Pecker
02-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I have the JD extended hedge trimmers (articulating). Wouldn't have it any other way. Using an extended reach trimmer with the head articulated is a little tricky at first. Then you get used to it.

gogetter
02-28-2004, 11:31 PM
You definately want the articulating head. I adjust mine all the time while using it.

I can walk along a hedge row 7' high and trimp the top flat and level by having the head at 90 degrees. If it didn't articulate, I'd have to use a ladder and keep moving it. Ugh!

lawnlubber
03-01-2004, 03:09 AM
I use the Stihl. It cuts very well saves using aladder. If you have a long hedge get out the Ben-Gay it gets very heavy after a while.