PDA

View Full Version : rock solid, plugr aerator

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Im looking at buying the rock solid aerator. 600 model.
How do you guys like them, they are new in Canada.
Also. It comes with either a briggs motor or honda. I know most will say honda is better. But I have equipment with briggs motors and they work fine. Any comments on the briggs motors. Its about 700 dollars cheaper.
thanks
mike

dylan
02-27-2004, 10:25 AM
I demoed the honda version last summer and plan to buy it this spring. They seem to be excellent aerators. You might find the honda easier on you over the long run but on the other hand I've got some brigs that are 20 yrs old and still start in a few pulls. How long are you planning to keep it? How many hours will it get per season? Will you resell it? The honda might be worth more.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
it probablywont get used as as much as bigger lawn care companys. Mostly service my existing customers. Im a small company. So i would say med. use.I wouldnt resell it. I would use it until it dies. I also have equipment with briggs motors. My billy goat leaf loader is a briggs. Starts firs pull every time.
:cool:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-27-2004, 10:48 AM
if the briggs is 700 cheper u could replace it when it dies and still be ahead

65hoss
02-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro, I responded to you PM.

I will put a little of what I told him in that PM here.
Nothing wrong with the Briggs. Should last a long time. Probably longer than the aerator.

I wouldn't buy it though. The Honda that comes on the Plugrs is the one that Honda sets the RPM's from the factory at 3900 rpm. Some may say, so? Well the Briggs is 3600. The Honda is made for the added 300 rpm. The difference is when you run them side by side the Honda is faster. Faster means done quicker and time is money.

mow2nd
02-27-2004, 11:51 AM
What about the Classen split drive aerater..........I bought one 2 years ago and love it. With the split drive you can turn very easily and go around trees. I think this year I'll put a velke behind it and just ride the thing.....J/K

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-27-2004, 12:41 PM
which size of split drive did you get.
Does it chew up the grass at all when you turn.

twwlawn
02-27-2004, 12:51 PM
PRO, I demo both, Briggs and Honda model. 65hoss is right on speed, the Honda will out run the Briggs. I got one last year after I demo and I got the Briggs on mine, yes cheaper, and I own equipment with the Briggs for years with no problems. Maintenance is the key and when they do die, I'll buy another Briggs. Using the Plugr is great, alot easier to use, I don't feel dead at the end of the day. Get one, you will not regret it.

mow2nd
02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I got the biggest one they make, it turns with ease. I would never use an aerater that doesnt have a split drive. I sold my ryan 5 to get the classen, and was the best move I made. I plan on getting another classen this year.

It doesnt make a complete zero turn, so no you dont chew up the grass unless you force the turn. I ususally go around and around, verses side to side. you can go side to side, and if you do it is still the best aerater

Under $3,000 it's your best buy

kory landscaping
02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
i own a rock solid Aerator, ready it has a encore label on it.. i had problems with the cams on the drive shaft, but i called rock solid and they back there product 110%. the shipped me a new machine. been using it for 2 years now and no problems.

wayne
kory landscaping

PMLAWN
02-27-2004, 03:08 PM
I have the PL800, Honda was only 200 more than B&S. 700 seems like a lot of $ difference. The unit is well built and pulls great plugs, I do have a problem on hills. It is not self propelled except by the tines. Going up hill it will just dig up the soil and not move. Also going downhill it wants to over-run. There is no way to move it (under power) unless you are in the grass and can drop the tines. This makes it hard to push uphill on a driveway or sidewalk. Also hard to push back on the trailer. Imagine moving a 300# shopping cart and you get the picture. I am considering the Turfco TurnAer 26 to replace the Plugger this year. Would like to know if anybody has used one. Is it like the Classen? I work in a hilly area and the Plugger is just to much work on hills. If you are in a flat area it will be a good unit for that. Hope this helps your decision. By the way, doing about 150, 6000 - 7000 sq. foot lot I went through 3 set of tines at $102 a set. (NC Red Clay). Something to keep in mind when set your prices.

littlenic
02-27-2004, 03:24 PM
I was looking at the Gator Rator, I'm a small outfit and have never used an aerator before. I have never heard of rock solid, PL800H pro 30 or the Classen split drive aerater.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks, littlenic

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
pmlawn

How is the plugr if you go diagnally across the hill.
I could see the trouble straight up and down.

I was looking at the split drive classen, its actually the same price. Maybe a little cheaper. But classen is wifder and I would have to remove rear wheels to get through a 36" gate. Unless I buy the smaller unit.
The smalle one does16.25" of aeration per pass. that may be too small.
Anyone tried removeing rear wheels. How easy is it.

Also . With never useing either one. IF you have alot of sidewalks too skip over.( townhouses) . which one is faster for lifting tines and jumping sidewalks.
thanks again

PMLAWN
02-27-2004, 07:42 PM
The Plugger does very well going over sidewalks. Just pull the handle and the tines lift up, the momentum will carry you over the side walk with just a little effort. It is not as easy as the video makes it look but it still is better than a Lawnair 4 or 5(the other unit that I have used a lot). I have never used the Classen so I don't know how that lifts the tines.
Going sideways across the hill is better but it still wants to curve down hill. I live by a lake so I do a lot of waterfront properties. The lots tent to be longer front to back which makes the natural run up and down the hill, sides of house are like 10' wide and 40' long with the front 15' higher that the back. Would be a big bummer turning every 10' Had some jobs this year that I had to rent Lawnare and leave Plugger on the trailer. Sad to pay for 2 units at same time and only use 1.(had 1 customer set up 6 jobs in row, hard to tell 3 of them no , afraid I might lose all 6) So to answer about sidewalks, yes it is good but try to set up trial for all else. I think I called Plugger direct and they sent a demo out to the house. 888-418-9065 To bad I have a flat lot. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you too much.

PRO PROPERTY CARE
02-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks pmlawn

It would be 90% flat lots. Alot of sidewalks too skip over on the one property. Its a 80 unit townhouse.
the plugr is looking pretty good.
I appreciate all the help
mike:cool:

mow2nd
02-27-2004, 09:04 PM
To raise the tines up on a Classen is the same as all other aeraters. I find going up, down, side to side all the same with my Classen, very easy. Again I like the fact that it has a split drive so works much like a Walkbehind.

cenlo
04-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Where abouts in Canada can you buy a plugr? I live in Ontario on the Michigan border!

SUGAR_CUT_MARK
04-25-2004, 09:54 PM
is the Plugr self propelled?? I wonder if it is as easy to operate as the classen split drive?

PMLAWN
04-26-2004, 04:42 AM
The Plugger is propelled by the cam action of the tines and will move while on the lawn. At full speed it moves at a fast walk. It is great to use on flat lots and does a great job of pulling plugs.
When the unit is off the lawn and the tines are not engaged you have to manually push the thing around.
Never ran the Classen so no input.