PDA

View Full Version : "Stand-UP" mower decision

NJemerald
02-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Hello,
We are trying to make a decision on which "Stand-UP" mower to purchase... either: Wright "Stander" or Great Dane "Super Surfer"

Do any of you have some insight/experience with these units.
ie... efficiency, maneuverability, maintenance, durability, collection of grass

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

mow2nd
02-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Standers are compact so they dont take up as much trailer space or truck space.

Hills are scarey, and have fun with low limbs. other than that, I think if it is something you can work with.......go for it

MacLawnCo
02-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Happy Reading (http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=318546&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

PS, you can see my choice in my signature :)

Turfdude
02-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
Hills are scarey, and have fun with low limbs. other than that, I think if it is something you can work with.......go for it
These are words of an inexperienced operator. I'm 6'2 and comfortably mow under trees that I wouldn't be able to get under comfortably w/ a w/b and still have control over. Just squat down and as long as the handlegoes under the branches, so will you, just peak your head out the side. As far as hills, you can mow either across or up and down. If you're going downhill, just position your weight way out the back to provide more traction for the wheels. It takes some practice, but no biggie once you get the hang of it.
BTW I speaking of the Wright Standers

NJemerald
02-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the responses...
How are they though in efficiency & durability as opposed to the Great danes?

lawnman_scott
02-27-2004, 03:36 PM
I had more trouble getting parts for great dane than anything. Other than that I had no complaints. The frame cracked after about 3 1/2 years. It was welded, and worked fine. I just cant figure out to this day what the parts problem was, and it was with multiple dealers. I say go with Wright.

mow2nd
02-27-2004, 04:05 PM
These are words of an inexperienced operator.

-------------------------------

lol...........Thats funny, I probably shouldnt have responded to this post because I don't own a stander.

I run WB and Z turns, but to say I'm an inexperienced operator is completely false.

Ferdelance
02-27-2004, 04:49 PM
In the 2 years of cutting with a Wright, I have no complaints.

MacLawnCo
02-28-2004, 11:20 PM
just go check out the entire machines and decide for yourself. Im fortunate that one of my dealers carries both, so i was able to compare one unit literally next to its competitor. Considering they are so similar looking, the dane is a world apart (not in a good way)

NJemerald
02-29-2004, 08:06 AM
MacLawnCo
You ARE fortunate to have BOTH at ONE shop to look at.
I had to travel 1 hr just to look at a "36" "Stander, that did not impress me! They had no 52's in stock.
The other dealer (1hr in the other direction) has nothing in stock till late next week.
You'd think with the time of year it is, These places would keep their show room full with several display models at least.
:rolleyes:
Besides talking to people with "first hand experience" beats checking out the obvious, ANY DAY!

From the posts I've read, Your just getting into the Stander. What made YOU purchase the Stander over the Surfer and what size did YOU decide on?

Thanks,
Bryan

The Lawn Boy Pro
02-29-2004, 08:14 AM
I dont know if you have a John Deere Dealer in your area, but they do make a John Deere Stander, as I believe John Deere bought out Great Dane.

brucec32
03-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Anybody mulch with a stander?

Is a stander handier and quicker on postage stamps than a wb/sulky?

Why do YOU prefer your stander to a wb?

lawnlubber
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes the Stander is excellent in terms of maneuverability. Hills take a bit of practice and very steep hillsides are impossible to do a nice job while mowing across the hill. Also had a problem with the bead on the tire breaking and getting flats on hills. I believe the Great Dane has a floating deck which the Stander does not. The fixed deck often catches if you have to go over curbs or something. The quality of cut is fine and the added speed over a wb even with a sulky is great.

brucec32
03-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, not many hills here in S. Florida, so that's something I can deal with. I think I'm gonna get it, at least it'll be a change of pace and fun to try out.

thetemples
03-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Stander is hard to mow on steep hills side ways (especially if you don't have an option of going up and down because of a house, etc) - But other than that.. they are wonderful and the small space is the key.

Itsgottobegreen
03-29-2004, 01:39 PM
the temples i have no problems on a 45% slope. I showed the guy who used to have to push mow this area. I drove up onto it, set the brake and walked back. His jaw about hit the ground. He now had 5 standers 3-52", 2-36". They go across hills better that up and down. Which is why people buy them. I can get 3-52" on my 14' trailer or 2-52" Lazers. So you can have one more machine making money.

Itsgottobegreen
03-29-2004, 02:08 PM
I forgot to mention but Wright designed the 1st stand on mower. Great dane stole the idea. The new Super surfer is worthless on hills. I showed my local dealer mine he was so impressed that he now sells wright. One company near me demo one from my dealer and bought 36-52" stander and traded in all their surfers.

Doc Pete
03-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by NJemerald
Hello,
We are trying to make a decision on which "Stand-UP" mower to purchase... either: Wright "Stander" or Great Dane "Super Surfer"

Do any of you have some insight/experience with these units.
ie... efficiency, maneuverability, maintenance, durability, collection of grass

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

I'm in Basking Ridge. If you are close, you can try my Hustler WB/Bullrider.........

Tbarchaser
03-29-2004, 09:49 PM
We mulch with a 42" stander on St Augustine. It does a good job, as for efficiency, I would love to have shootout between
Wright stander
Super Surfer
and ANY walk behind

When you see a Wright Stander with an Exp operator on board you will be impressed on the agility on tiny props.

For comparison
I have a bunch of zero lot line postage stamps that took me 14-16 min to mow, less than 8 min with the stander...
Really you need to demo a stander if you have small props, you wont be sorry. As for the Surfer...I feel its a joke I demoed one and had to pull it out of the lake with the stander, then finish mowing the same slope with the Stander. You would think Bill would give me a kickback.

landscapingpoolguy
03-29-2004, 10:24 PM
I have a 03 Wright Stander and its for sale 15 hp 36" 150 hours (973) 332 0734...great little machine...I did have to have both spindles replaced with less then 40 hours on the machine but it was all waranteed.

Chuck

logan
03-30-2004, 08:33 AM
I have mowed in FL, on St. Augustine and Bahia grass, for 2 years with my Super Surfer 52". I have had no problems at all. It seems that I am the minority on this thread though. The reason I bought it instead of the Wright, was the height adjustment ease, the floating deck, and the position that I am standing in seems to be a little more upright and I didn't want to risk blowing out my back by leaning forward too much. I do have a couple of hills that I mow and I have no problems making them look good with it, but mowing across them looks a little worse. I am in full agreement that you should try them both out though and buy the one that you feel more comfortable with. Who wants to ride all day on something they don't feel good about?

Hiway
03-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Great dane all the way! The color is brighter