PDA

View Full Version : Trugreen

Hopper1124
02-27-2004, 12:55 PM
It seems that Trugreen has really cornered the market in this area , how I don't know I drove around two areas yesterday and Trugreen had flags in over 50% of the yards if not better. Everyone claims on the board here they do bad work but man they are getting the work here and keeping it. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio I don't know if they are low balling or what but they are up to something. They are taking over neighborhoods left and right.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-27-2004, 02:14 PM
u anwsered your own question lowballing or what
they can go in cheep and take over happens all the time

Pilgrims' Pride
02-27-2004, 04:42 PM
I commented recently about proffessional scrubs.

There it is.

Bob

jsr2741
02-27-2004, 04:55 PM
They under bid me on two accounts I bid by $2,000 a property. Hard to compete with that. I asked the administrative assistant if price was the issue, she replied "yes."

I then asked her to go call their accountant and see if chem-lawn ended up charging them quite a bit more last year than their original bid. She called me later and affirmed my suspicion and said there were some add on cost for problems they had found with the grass. I told her that I drive by that property at least 10 times a day and the only thing wrong with their property was the mowing job the company chem lawn had sub-contracted out to cut the grass (pitiful to say the least).

Maybe now that they know that about their extra expense with chem-lawn I might have a shot next year.

TSM
02-27-2004, 05:04 PM
I dont understand the hostility towards trugreen/chemlawn. Because they know how to market this business they are scrubs? Because they can afford to have lower prices in some markets does that make them a scrub? Because they are the worlds largest lawn care company does that make them scrubs?

Tell you what guys, this season we have drasticaly lowered our prices for new customers. We are selling like crazy. Am I a scrub? Yep, we're going the Wal-Mart route. Sell lots of stuff at a lower price and watch the customers come in. Making $$$ in volume, whats wrong with that? If you make 50% profit on a few lawns and we make 30% profit on lots and lots of lawns, does that mean we are scrubs?

Personally I am thankful for trugreen/chemlawn (or just chemlawn) for they are the ones who got this industry up and running. They were leaders then and are still leading.

Ok, so now you can tell me they have a poor reputation (mostly within the industry, obviously not with the public), you can tell me they use infurior products, have unknowledgable employees, blah, blah, blah.
They made how much $$$ last year??? and you made how much??? This is business and they are good at it. Actually most of us probably set up our business after their model? Most probably have procedures in place that mirror theirs.

I donno, I just dont get it.

My advice to Hopper1124 is to stop in at a few of those properties with those trugreen signs and survey the homeowner. ask why they use trugreen...then set up your business to be more like theirs.

way to grow
02-27-2004, 06:11 PM
About 80% of all trugreen customers I come in contact with are not happy with their service, and will almost always switch over to mine.

James Cormier
02-27-2004, 06:14 PM
TSm, you make some great points. Mostly there right on. I dont like bad mouthin any lawn company, TruGreen spends alot of money fighting for our rights to apply these products.

One area you maybe alittle off is this quoute
"They made how much $$$ last year??? and you made how much??? This is business and they are good at it."

I am not sure on the exact numbers but I believe they lost money last year, Yes they do 900 million in sales but their expenses are 901 million, Back when I worked for Old Fox Lawn Care we where a 9 million dollar company making money, Trugreen bought it and with in 3years they closed the doors. NOt a very good way to run a business, They keep getting bought out by bigger companies looking for tax rightoffs, (ecolab,service master,waste manangement)

Chem lawn started lawn care in ohio in the 70's it was born there, so I would think they still have a good market share in that area.

DiscoveryLawn
02-27-2004, 08:05 PM
I got a quote from TG/CL earlier this month to see where their prices were this year. I also recieved quotes from several other companies at about the same time. Boy the prices are all over the board this year! My lawn is 14,000 sq. ft. and I recieved quotes for as low as $50.00 (TG/CL) per app up to $102.00 (another national company) per app. TG/CL original quote was for $70.00 then they called with their "Special" of only $50.00 per app. with 50% off the first app!!!
I have to admit ...I thought about it for a minute. (nah, just kiddin)

Hopper1124
02-27-2004, 10:21 PM
The problem I have is when trugreen called me to give me an estimate on my yard 9,000 sq ft yard 53.00 per app they started bashing the other companies. He asked if I had any other quotes yet, I said yes one from Davey Tree Service wanted to know the cost of that Quote, I said $42.00 per app he said their cheap because they do trees, I came back said something about him bashing other companies and he then said he would match the price just like that. See I am not in business yet just researching, I have a Horticulture degree but have been out of the landscape field for several years and have been thinking of geting into the fertiliztion end. I don't like cut throats like that , they could eat a new guy up quick.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-27-2004, 10:22 PM
we all have a different way of doing things but the bottom line is we all have to make money and that takes customers.
whatever it takes to get them in the door and then do the best dam job u can to keep them.

MOlawnman
02-28-2004, 12:22 AM
I have found TG/CL to be good for my business. I landed over $10,000 in new work this season because their customer service sucks. Both clients stated the sales person wouldn't call them back or show up to look at the problem. Let alone the fact that the turf didn't look all that good.

They (TG/CL) even call me offering out their prices!

SodKing
02-28-2004, 01:17 AM
Tell you what guys, this season we have drasticaly lowered our prices for new customers. We are selling like crazy. Am I a scrub? Yep, we're going the Wal-Mart route.

Actually Wal-mart prices area an average 4% higher than their competitors.