PDA

View Full Version : Suv

ztrguy
02-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Who uses an SUV for business? What kind of SUV do you use and what size trailer (open or closed) do you pull? I'm looking at new vehicles and I'm thinking of buying a Trailblazer or Tahoe. The max trailer weight for the Trailblazer is 6,100. Max GCWR is 11,000. The max trailer weight for a Tahoe is 7,400.

7x12 Enclosed Trailer Curb Weight = 2,000 lbs
60" ZTR = 1200 lbs
48" walkbehind = 500 lbs

Total weight = 3,700 lbs

I believe either vehicle would tow that kind of weight easy. Does anyone have first hand experience on this issue? Thanks!

Ray&Christine
02-27-2004, 03:02 PM
I had a full size Bronco that I just sold, I used it as a back-up truck for plowing and pulling my trailer when my truck was down.I pulled a 6.5 x12 tandum trailer. It worked OK but I prefer a pick-up because it was a pain if you have to put anything in the back. The Broco's interior would get dirty or get gas fumes from the tools or gas cans. I guess if you had racks for everything on the trailer it would better.Sometimes I pick up some garbage or a stick from a lawn an just toss it in the back of the truck, it is hard to do that with a SUV. I replaced my Broco with an ext cab pick-up so I figure I have thr best of both worlds.

MudslinginFX4
02-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Go with the Tahoe if money will allow. Even if the Trailblazer is able to tow the trailers weight it wont tow it as good as the Tahoe. The Tahoe is wider and therefore will feel like it's more incharge pulling the trailer. BTW... are you totally against buying a full size truck? If you are looking at Tahoes why not look at either the full size Chevy trucks or the Fords?

grassyfras
02-27-2004, 03:07 PM
I use to use an envoy. I could a few yards of mulch and almost a yard of rock but it was slow. I ussally just towed a 4x8 trailer with a walkbehind. Did fine with that

EagleLandscape
02-27-2004, 03:35 PM
Dont get an suv for a work truck. The inside is gonna get trashed. The reason why suv's are so expensive is because of the nice interiors. Using that as a work truck is gonna depreciate the hell outta the thing. Don't make a bad investment. Trust me, I used to use a suburban.

ztrguy
02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the posts!!!

Ray&Christine,

I know what you are saying about it stinking up the inside of the truck. I plan on putting everything in the enclosed trailer. The only thing the vehicle will do is hook up to the trailer and take off. Nothing will be in the vehicle.

ECM Lawn,

I have pretty much ruled out buying a new pickup. This will be my personal/business vehicle. It will be my only vehicle. I was wanting to get an SUV rather than a pickup. Pickups are just so much longer and have a longer wheelbase than an SUV. I love driving SUV's. The Tahoe is quite a bit more so that's the only thing holding me back on getting it, but like you said it would probably do better than the smaller Trailblazer.

Any other suggestions????

ztrguy
02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
jwingfield2k,

Did you haul things inside your suburban? Like a gas can, backpack blower, box full of supplies, etc? That's the only way I could see that it would trash the interior. I am going to definately store everything inside the enclosed trailer.

DLCS
02-27-2004, 03:57 PM
ZTR guy, I'd go with the Tahoe. They are built on a 1/2 ton truck frame, basically just like a 1/2 ton truck. I'm not sure about the Trailblazer but the Tahoe is heavier duty. I think your interior will be fine just take a little extra care about keeping it clean.

GrassBlaster
02-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Believe it or not, I do everything with a 97 S-10 Blazer right now. LOL. Tows my stuff just fine. I have a 6 1/2 x 12 open trailer, and I've had my ZTR, a standard lawn tractor, yard trailer, trimmers, etc etc on it and not had a problem.

Last year I put 4 yards of mulch on the trailer, but I didn't have to go very far.

ztrguy
02-27-2004, 04:10 PM
DLCS,

You're probably right about going with the Tahoe, I just don't know if I can fork out that much money. I'm going to get leather seats so it will be easier to clean the interior. I can't stand cloth seats...they seem to look like a mess and look dirtier.

GrassBlaster,

I use a 94 GMC Jimmy S-10 when I'm not using the ext cab 1500 pickup. I have a 6 1/2 x 12 open trailer with a ZTR and walkbehind. Along w/ the trimmers and backpack blowers, etc. I must say that I like driving the SUV more than I do the pickup. It's much easier to turn around and get in and out of those tight spots.

Lux Lawn
02-27-2004, 04:50 PM
wWhen I started part time I used a Chevy Blazer because thats all I had at the time. I would not go back to that set up I need the bed space on the trucks.

danno
02-27-2004, 08:21 PM
If you are serious about this business then skip the suv and get a truck that will work for you. Look at a crew cab pickup with a short box. You may think you can work fine without it but wait until you do a clean up of branches and leaves. You'll have to take everything out of the trailer to put debris in there. Unload equipment, load debris, unload debris, clean trailer out, reload equipment. After doing this process 10-15 times you will be kicking yourself. You can also carry bulk material(pallets) in the bed that you can't get in the trailer. You will look like you know what you're doing and not like you are some fly by night operation that is doing this until they figure out what they will do next.

xcopterdoc
02-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Using it as your only vehicle eh... so if it breaks??

ztrguy
03-03-2004, 12:09 AM
The only thing that I do is mow, trim, backpack blower, spring/fall cleanup. I just pile the sticks and leaves on the trailer. No big deal if I have to go dump it a few times. I don't do very many cleanups around here. And as for fly by night operation--I think that would more likely be someone with homeowner equipment, not someone with $20,000 in equipment on the trailer. As for it being the only vehicle--If you can't trust a brand new vehicle then what can you trust? If something goes wrong with it that's when the dealer steps in. That's not something to have to worry about. A trailblazer costs just as much as a pickup so why would it matter if I pulled it with a pickup or suv? Both are made for pulling things.

EagleLandscape
03-03-2004, 12:21 AM
No i didnt, but we all get pretty dirty and sweaty from working outside all day, and thats what trashes out the interior.

Originally posted by ztrguy
jwingfield2k,

Did you haul things inside your suburban? Like a gas can, backpack blower, box full of supplies, etc? That's the only way I could see that it would trash the interior. I am going to definately store everything inside the enclosed trailer.

EagleLandscape
03-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Oh, how many people in the business do you see driving around SUV's and how many do you see driving Pickup trucks... The choice is obvious. This is kinda a no-brainer if you ask me.

Originally posted by ztrguy
The only thing that I do is mow, trim, backpack blower, spring/fall cleanup. I just pile the sticks and leaves on the trailer. No big deal if I have to go dump it a few times. I don't do very many cleanups around here. And as for fly by night operation--I think that would more likely be someone with homeowner equipment, not someone with $20,000 in equipment on the trailer. As for it being the only vehicle--If you can't trust a brand new vehicle then what can you trust? If something goes wrong with it that's when the dealer steps in. That's not something to have to worry about. A trailblazer costs just as much as a pickup so why would it matter if I pulled it with a pickup or suv? Both are made for pulling things.

ztrguy
03-03-2004, 12:27 AM
You could use seat covers to keep the seats clean. Vacuum out the truck ever couple of days.

Around here you see more s10 pickups or pickups w/ equipment in the bed. I've seen more Tahoes and Expeditions pulling trailers than pickups.

chefdrp
03-03-2004, 12:28 AM
I have a trailblazer. 6x12 trailer. Z, trimmer,blower,push mower, trash can safety cones. buying a W/B too. pulled just fine last year.

trying 2b organic
03-03-2004, 12:29 AM
In the early going i decided to play it safe and figured if everyone in the biz was using an open pickup (no-cap) there was probably good reasons. Sold the car, bought a pickup that had a cap on it, sold the cap and built rails. We can debate open or enclosed and other things but there are millions of reasons why most use pickups. :angel:

lawnagent
03-03-2004, 12:58 AM
My main vehicle is a 3/4 ton x cab Silverado 4x4 BUT when I mow in this one town about 20 miles away, 1 day a week. I use my 1991 Olds Bravada. It is basically a dressed up S-10 Blazer with the bigger motor. I do it for the reason one listed above. This towns subdivisions are twisty and narrow and alot of my contracts are on dead end cul de sacs. It is like trying to turn around on a pretzel. All I do is mow, trim blow and go over there so the Bravada is PHENOMINALLY easier to manuever around.

ztrguy
03-03-2004, 01:02 AM
lawnagent,

That's how some places are here. There are lots of dead end streets and places that I can't get turned around in a pickup. I wind up having to back up a block or two. Thanks for your post.

JKOOPERS
03-03-2004, 01:16 AM
now ztrguy to the statement you said that the dealer would step in you better check with them first. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 and the dealer ship didnt want to cover anything that broke b/c i was using it for commercial use. I had a snow plow on it so everytime I had something go wrong I had to take off the under carriage. Just my .02 , you might want to do your homework , dealers will find anyway out of it .

Movinfr8
03-03-2004, 02:41 AM
Unless you are dead set on the leather interior, you could use it as a work truck, if you got the work truck Tahoe! A buddy of mine found a Tahoe with rubber floor mats (no carpet) vinyl seats, roll up windows, for around $18,000 Brand new! Now this was in 2001, and I am pretty sure he paid cash, but that's the kind of truck I want. It gets dirty, grab the water hose!!
Norm

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-03-2004, 07:01 AM
I have been using a 96 Toyota 4Runner for years to pull a 6x10 with 2-3 mowers trimmers, blowers, hand tools, fuel, etc. Never had a problem. I also plow snow with it.

I just did 2 clean-ups last week and just loaded the debris on the trailer. Not a problem. Yes I would rather have a truck...but it is not a priority right now. I just bought the wife a new vehicle so I will be in this for a while. Plus since it is my daily driver also I have to have a back seat for the kids.

Derek