PDA

View Full Version : are you an honest businessman? let's see

bobbygedd
02-27-2004, 05:48 PM
ok, today i was confronted by a test, i know it was a test from above, do you think i passed? what would you have done? here's the scene: a man calls for an estimate on full service. i scurry my fuzzy little butt down there asap. take my measurements, add it all up, i give him prices. x amount per cut, x amount fer a fert program, x amount for a spring and fall cleanup. we sit down to talk about it. he says, "oh, did you forget the trimming of the hedges?" i'm like, "yes i did, but, let me take a look at them." he says he wants them cut down to 4.5 feet. piece of cake, i'm lookin at 2 hrs work, not much disposal. i'm about to open my big mouth and say, "$175." when he says, "listen, i had a quote for $600, for the hedges, your other prices look fine, if we can keep the hedges at $600 or close to it, i'll consider signing with you." NOW, FELLAS, we always talk about pricing, and the "other guy", and how we can't live by the "other guys" prices. you do realize that is a two way street? you can't come DOWN to the other guys prices, so in all fairness, you shouldn't GO UP to the other guys prices. let's hear it. who's gonna stick with thier original figure, who's going up after hearing what i heard? be honest. and i'll tell you what i did. what do you think i did?

PCLL
02-27-2004, 05:53 PM
2hrs of work should get you at least 280. So my advice would be increase the charge and explain you made a mistake.

jajwrigh
02-27-2004, 05:56 PM
I think you should shoot for somewhere in between. I woud probably go around $300 or maybe a little less.

pines
02-27-2004, 05:57 PM
well, he already told you you were good on the other prices ......all you had to do was take care of the $600 quote. I would have told him that seems a bit high and quoted him probably $250.00. ( right or wrong that is what I would have quoted) The reason I would have done this is because you just exposed someone who was trying to rip him off....someday the same thing could happen to you. Secondly, your price savings to him will immediately win him over and you will create trust. Tough for a new guy to come in and break that trust factor. Last, I guarantee you will get more work and references from this guy. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

lawnman_scott
02-27-2004, 05:59 PM
$400 or so is what i would say. I think you said $300-350.

bastalker
02-27-2004, 06:01 PM
I would have immediately thought if I under estimated the time it would take me to get the hedges done. I would have re- evaluated the hedge job, an if I knew I was gonna make money with $175, I would have stuck to my guns....For me, its an integrity thing....Maybe this was his test to see what you would say......

By readin your post bobby, an knowing that you were trying to pass a test from above, I think you told the guy $175. Which is what I would have done, as long as know I am making a profit with this price. From what I have read from you so far, I think your gettin a little integrity an compassion in yer old age...

This honesty, will really get his attention, and probably lead to more work in the future....

Carma will bite you in the butt everytime.......

impactlandscaping
02-27-2004, 06:01 PM
If you didn't give your price of $ 175.00 before he said" $ 600.00 or around there", I would have told him the price you were going to quote him. If that's a good enough figure for you to make some$$$ on this account, fine.Just be sure you have a little "fudge factor" built in your pricing somewhere to cover any unforseen obstacles.This would have been that cushion to add in at say even $ 300.00. Honesty is best b/c it can and will come back to bite you in your fuzzy butt.If your happy, and the client is happy, what else matters?

jsr2741
02-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Only mistake here was him telling you what the other company bid. Anything under $600 and he's going to think he got a deal.

My guess is you bid higher, maybe $350.

NCSULandscaper
02-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Do it at the price you thought at first seemed fair. Obviously someone is screwing the guy over, no need for you to half screw him either.

gator-town
02-27-2004, 06:05 PM
you can't come DOWN to the other guys prices, so in all fairness, you shouldn't GO UP to the other guys prices.

bobby ... do you believe in kar∑ma ... that the effect of a person's actions and conduct during the person's existence determines the person's destiny ... I would give a price you could both live with ... and that is what you did ... sleep well !!!! :)

wojo23323
02-27-2004, 06:13 PM
I would stick with $175. What comes around, goes around.

Del9175
02-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Talk about lowballers. Its one thing if you go around under cutting your competitions prices, but you really got problems when you start under cutting your customers prices. :D

I say that in jest. Would I have stuck to my origanl price? Defiantely not. I would have said to him that $600 seems a little steep, I would do it for $400. I am certainly an honest person and doing this would not be considered dishonest in anyway. Its no different then in bobby's thread about the guy telling him he would pay $25 for lawn cutting. Suppose the guy had said he would pay $50, would he be obligated to lower his price to $30.

rodfather
02-27-2004, 06:20 PM
This sounds like a nice account bobby...stick to $175. This is someone who sounds like they will get you referral work when he tells others what a great LCO you. You'll make up that $425 hands down with other clients he sends you.

westernmdlawn
02-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Fellas Fellas Fellas, did anyone stop and think about whats gonna happen down the road? If he gives a quote that is high, but less than $600, say $400, the customer may be happy at first, but not for long. Just wait till the day comes when the customer is bragging to his next door neighbor about all the good work his LCO does and then proceeds to brag about how cheap his prices are - see where I'm going? There's a chance that someone will clue this guy in about paying way too much for a service down the road. At this point, if he looks into it in any detail, he will realize that he has been taking a fat one in the cheeks all summer long. There goes your good name and reputation you worked so hard to build. Is it really worth it? The truth is, if you treat people fairly and don't rip them off, you rewards will come back tenfold.
I think he was honest and charged him $175 -- $250

hole in one lco
02-27-2004, 06:40 PM
Well we are all here to make money but honest money. I would never gouge some one like that, dont turn landscaping in to used car sales .

dfor
02-27-2004, 06:42 PM
I probably would have thought to myself "maybe I underestimated how long it would take", and end up giving him a price of $250.

greensummer
02-27-2004, 06:55 PM
Be Honest: Reminds me of a true story,

I had an elderly lady agree upon a fair price for trimming of all sorts of trees & shrubs..............work is completed...... its time to collect........she has all kinds of cash laying around and in her wallet..................she starts to count out the money............she counts out way too much(its in my hands!)..............the phone rings...........she leaves me alone with all the money lying around & a "thick wallet of money" .......man, my heart is pounding but alas I say no way.........I tell her that she did not count correctly and gave her back the "extra" money that she had counted ................she says "thats not enough of what I gave you"...........I received an extra $400.00 dollars.

The moral of the story, it pays not to lie or steal!

Tommy, CBR 600 F4i :)

bastalker
02-27-2004, 07:07 PM
This was a pretty good thread bobby!! It has also gotten a few different responses. I just want to give everyone a couple of things to consider.

1. Have you ever gone to a customers house, for whatever reason decided that you didn't want the job, and gave him an astronomical figure knowing he would turn you down. If in the slight chance he took you up on it, you would make a ton of money? Maybe this is what the lco did that gave the $600 bid to begin with.. To say he was undercutting the competitions price, as one reply stated, might not be totally accurate..

2. If a customer was to tell me that the last lco quoted him $600 for a 2-3 hour hedge job. The first thing that would come to my mind, is why did he just tell me that. The second thing that would come to my mind, is what if he is just testing my honesty? Maybe he has had an lco do this same job for $150 - $200, an he just wants to see what I am going to say...

3. How much do you guys actually think you want to make off someone for a 2 hour hedge job. Some of the replies I saw, I would have sent you packing!!!

Think twice the next time someone gives you an off the wall dollar figure, before you go spouting off one of your own.

Yes its definately a matter of integrity!! Some of you guys might want to look up that definition...... ;)

Nevermind here it is:
Moral soundness; honesty; freedom from corrupting influence or motive; -- used especially with reference to the fulfillment of contracts, the discharge of agencies, trusts, and the like; uprightness; rectitude.

bobbygedd
02-27-2004, 07:16 PM
ok look, i didn't start doing this yesterday. its a 2 hr job tops, working by myself. no ladder required, no heavy cutting. i'll take about 1-2 ft of bassically last years growth off. thin, whispy top growth. and maybe 3 green barrels of disposal. i'm not by any means a lowballer. but the guy who quoted the job was either a crook, or a bad estimator. i've been wrong before, but this time it's not likely.

dcwalker
02-27-2004, 07:26 PM
I might double check to see if I underestimated first. If I didn't then I would surely stick to my origional price. If I think I may be underestimateing I would quote a little higher and see how long it took me. I would rather over price something and end up charging them less when I'm done than the other way aound. Also, when I give a fair price and quality work, I almost always get a good tip. Sometimes up to 50% more then what I charge. The most important thing to think about is "How am I going to sleep tonite?" Praise God, I think you past!
DC

Advanced Lawncare
02-27-2004, 07:28 PM
I would have immediately thought if I under estimated the time it would take me to get the hedges done. I would have re- evaluated the hedge job, an if I knew I was gonna make money with $175

Probably what I would do.

Let it Grow
02-27-2004, 07:37 PM
I'd take a look at them again to be sure that I wasn't missing anything, maybe even repeat back to the customer what he wants done to be sure that I didn't miss anything. Then give him a quote of YOUR price, not based on what anyone else bid, but YOURS.
What if you bid $500 and he gets another company to come bid it and they say "that's only two hours worth of work, this guy is ripping you off, we'll do it for $200"? That's gonna make you look worse than the guy who bid it before you.

Give him your honest bid.

MudslinginFX4
02-27-2004, 07:51 PM
I would also stick with $175. No need in ripping a customer off. I am an honest guy and believe in doing what's right. It's not all about the money!

little green guy
02-27-2004, 07:55 PM
Here's the thing, we all talk about raising prices, now this other guys has the numbers up and a customer is willing to pay it. Now you go in cheaper and wreck the chances for everyone else to start bring up the prices. For a few reasons, 1) now if you lose the job and someone else gets it and the new company wants 375.00 the customers will say well my old guys only charged 175.00 so how can we start to bring prices up? (2) if it where me i'd prolly charge them 400.00 or so without knowing the other guys # because your prolly gonna end up wasting half a day doing small stuff like that and I'm not gonna send guys there for a few bucks, small little jobs like that should be profitable otherwise I don't want to do it.

I also don't think I'd be ripping the guy off or the other guy that gave the guy a bid is ripping him off. The way I look at it is he's getting prices, nobody is making him go with the guy charging 600, he's got a choice. He dosn't have to hire anyone he can do it himself if he dosn't want to pay 600.

I think if a contactor dosn't do what he says he's gonna but charges for it or changes the price in the middle or after the job is done or creates hidden fees, that is ripping them of. But if we want 600 to do the hedges he's not getting ripped off, he dosn't have to pay it, he can do it himself if he wants. I'm honest with customers and they always tell me how much they appreciate that. i don't rip anyone off I charge them what we agree upon and if they don't like my prices they have the freedom to hire someone else, thats what great about america.

Charge what the market will bear and don't sell your self short, if people are willing to pay than nothing less should go.

kris
02-27-2004, 07:59 PM
If you think you are correct with your estimate then stick with it.

I might have said something like... I don't think I can be that far off the estimate to raise it to 600...if you like I can do it by the hour and charge you accordingly but again I believe it will be around my original estimate.

bobbygedd
02-27-2004, 08:05 PM
sometimes i think you guys don't pay attention. i did NOT QUOTE HIM $175. before i could even give him a price, he QUOTED ME, $600! the figure of $175 is just what i had in my head, but he beat me to it by saying $600. is there such a thing as being only "a little dishonest?" or is that like being, "a little pregnant?"

Runner
02-27-2004, 08:12 PM
If you quoted him your honest price, then you did alright. That's all you can and are supposed to do. Also, to those (who think they are worth $200), remember; He called for another quote, - didn't he? That's why Bobby was there to begin with. Know your costs. If you are able to do it for x amount, than that's what you do. If you have to pay a crew of 3, or whatever, than you have to charge for that. Different people have different job costs.

NCSULandscaper
02-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
sometimes i think you guys don't pay attention. i did NOT QUOTE HIM $175. before i could even give him a price, he QUOTED ME, $600! the figure of $175 is just what i had in my head, but he beat me to it by saying $600. is there such a thing as being only "a little dishonest?" or is that like being, "a little pregnant?"

You might not have told him that but that is the figure that you came up with in your head, which would have been the quote. And you are either honest or dishonest, there is no happy medium. Only you know if its a fair price or not.

mh1314
02-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm with Rodfather on this one...the referrals you will get from this one will be great for your reputation and business. Let's face it if he hadn't mentioned the $600 and he accepted your $175 bid and gave you the other work, you would have been happy you made the trip. Like you said you're not new at this and you bid to make a living and attract new customers.

The other side is if you pitched a $500.00 bid and he accepted it, only to learn later that there are many out there who would do it for $175.00, he would never feel the same about your work and your word in the future.

Doogiegh
02-27-2004, 10:00 PM
My guess here is that he wants you to do the cleanup, all the mowing and the hedges all for $600 total for the season. I might be misreading what Bobby wrote, but when a quote is off by more then TRIPLE (175 vs 600) then I'd be really hard reconsidering what the job entailed.

I can just see it now that what you think is a easy job of trimming.. Well, it's a corner property and the hedges go on and on and on for .6 miles down the side road.. He only showed you the driveway ones or something wacked like that... <G>

olderthandirt
02-27-2004, 10:43 PM
I don't like being tested by customers on my honesty. I'm in this for the money take the $600 and ride the guy till you get lowballed becouse you will, and you will if you do it for $175. Show me the money! You guys should all be in church either as a preacher or for lying. lol

Mac

Mdirrigation
02-27-2004, 10:48 PM
What does honesty have to do with that situation . I would have probably quoted $ 650. 00 when he said 600 since he was comfortable with the other prices and was ready to sign he tipped his hand a good salesman would have seen that opportunity and closed the deal at $650.. If I gave a price 1000 dollars for a job and 3 other contractors bid 250 to 300 that only proves that 3 contractors are cheaper than I was. Am I ripping the customer off , no I am simply expensive , the customer makes his own choice as to whom he awards the job. I would sell and close jobs knowing my competition was lower .
It is not dishonest to charge what you want for your services. I would set my prices , not my competition , if I am 2 or 3 times the competitions price I am not high , they are low. I have always charged as much as I can, Am I ripping anyone off ? No I dont have a monopoly .......yet

If you dont raise prices, prices wont rise .
You can always work more for less money or you can work less for more money.

GreenMonster
02-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Honesty has everything to do with this. You see it on this forum all the time:

Quote and charge what you need to be profitable. Can't worry about what the other guy is doing.

using that logic, charging him $500-550 when, say, $200 lines your pocket pretty nicely shows a blatant lack of morals, integrity and honesty.

My conscience is worth more than $400. I'd like to think I would have quoted no more $200 in the same situation.

ZX12R
02-27-2004, 11:04 PM
I , like some here would not have the consciense to charge a potential client $600 for 2 hours worth of work.Down the road,he will find out that you are ripping him off bigtime ,and you wont be working for him very long. If I could make $100 per hour(the rate you want to charge) every day,i would be very happy as well as very wealthy.

NCSULandscaper
02-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Mdirrigation
What does honesty have to do with that situation . I would have probably quoted $ 650. 00 when he said 600 since he was comfortable with the other prices and was ready to sign he tipped his hand a good salesman would have seen that opportunity and closed the deal at $650.. If I gave a price 1000 dollars for a job and 3 other contractors bid 250 to 300 that only proves that 3 contractors are cheaper than I was. Am I ripping the customer off , no I am simply expensive

Yet you would still be poor.

Coffeecraver
02-27-2004, 11:07 PM
QUOTE"
bastalker
"I would have immediately thought if I under estimated the time it would take me to get the hedges done. I would have re- evaluated the hedge job, an if I knew I was gonna make money with $175, I would have stuck to my guns....For me, its an integrity thing....Maybe this was his test to see what you would say......"

I agree , there must be a reason 600.00 was estimated. Re-evaluate the job and you will most likely end up with your same bid.Stick to it . A man's Rep is much more valueable than a few dollars.

matthew horner
02-27-2004, 11:15 PM
ok, so I'm not bobbys game. I got tools to put away and it takes to much time to sip cappucino or whatever and watch this screen waiting to "see what he did". A man is as honest as his word, spoken or unspoken. His price was 175, thats what he should have told the guy, end of story. You have to think of the compounded results of all of your decisions. Once again, ncsu landscaper was way ahead of the game on this one. Says something about us nc guys.
Matt

Doster's L & L
02-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Being honest is definitely better than lying to your customers, but if your prices are just expensive, and people are willing to pay it, then you are a good salesman AND you give them what you told them you would give them. That's all customers want isn't it? they want what they are told they will get at the agreed price.

captaingreen
02-27-2004, 11:23 PM
My conscience is worth more than $400. I'd like to think I would have quoted no more $200 in the same situation.

I'm with GreenMonster, what goes around comes around

Doster's L & L
02-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I tried to edit my post, but was preoccupied to get it in time.

I would like to make $100/hour myself to trim bushes, but if Daddy Roebucks can shell out $300/hour then Mdirrigation has a right to charge this much. It's Just My Opinion.

olderthandirt
02-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by captaingreen

I'm with GreenMonster, what goes around comes around

Your conscience won't pay your mortgage or buy grocerys and what happens when a another guy comes around doing them for $150? Think of all the things you let slide through your fingers giving up that $400. Your right what goes around comes around and that includes cheap prices

Mac

gogetter
02-27-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by PCLL
2hrs of work should get you at least 280.

So you're getting $140 an hour huh? I'm guessing you're joking?

Anyway, I'm with bastalker.

bastalker
02-28-2004, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mdirrigation
What does honesty have to do with that situation . I would have probably quoted $ 650. 00 [QUOTE]

I dont know anyone in this industry, or anyone on this forum for that matter, that gets $325 an hour for a hedge job...

An olderthandirt, I dont think you would try an get $300 an hour for a hedge job......... ;) :D

I think $85 an hour is a pretty good price for a job like this. Why would you try an rape a potential customer you are tryin to sign up. Either bobby is exagerating on the $600 price he was given, or this guy was testing him. No one in their right mind is going to pay $600 for 2 hours worth of work......

You never did tell us what ya did bobby...Do tell... ;)

Mdirrigation
02-28-2004, 12:17 AM
Now I have heard the term lowballer thrown around on the board. Now how can setting your price higher than what the competition charges be considered a rip off. If so than the cheapest contractor out there now sets the standard for pricing and any one higher priced lacks honesty or integrity. Honesty and integrity are values that a person holds inside , if you lie or misrepresent yourself or what services you will provide , THAT lacks honesty or integrity , If you can sell a job for more thats good business .

olderthandirt
02-28-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by bastalker

An olderthandirt, I dont think you would try an get $300 an hour for a hedge job......... ;) :D I would try to get as much as they are willing to pay whether thats $300 or $3000 an hr. Like I said if its a test screw the guy I'm out of school and don't do test and if he's willing to pay it I'm willing to except it.

No one in their right mind is going to pay $600 for 2 hours worth of work...... I've made a lot more than $300 an hrs on some jobs but I also made a lot less than than that also, its an average you have to shoot for

You never did tell us what ya did bobby...Do tell... ;) [/B]

mh1314
02-28-2004, 12:26 AM
I think sometimes it's the customer neither knows how to do the job and doesn't have a clue how long it will take.

I can relate to a similar situation a year ago when my truck needed some work. A local tuneup shop quoted me a price of slightly over $400.00. I wasn't expecting that but agreed when the guy said the part would run just under $200.00 and the job would take 3 1/2 hours.

Stranglely enough and probably without the bosses permission the shop secretary called me and announced that my truck was ready 1 1/2 hours after I dropped it off. I paid my bill and left. I began to sense that I may have been lied to. A check with the parts place at the dealer revealed the part to be $40.00 retail, no telling what the repair guy paid.

Bottom line, the repair guy set a price and I agreed to it. Could I have found a cheaper location to repair it...no doubt but I trusted him to give me a fair price. Will I go back to that shop...yeah right.

Do I talk good about their work....... 8>)

bastalker
02-28-2004, 12:33 AM
To each his own I guess.......

Mdirrigation
02-28-2004, 12:41 AM
The hourly gross of of the bush trimming of 2 hours at 300 per hour . looking at adverage time frames I was taking into account 2 men with 1/2 hour travel time to the job and 15 minutes to unload tools and set up , 1 hour spent on the estimate , 2 hours to cut and load the material and 1 hour round trip to the landfill plus dump fee. That works out to 6 1/2 man hours total
If the job were 600 thats less than 100 per man hour then you include the dump fees . Seems in the ballpark to me

trying 2b organic
02-28-2004, 12:47 AM
The guy should not have lied about the price of the part but for his labour he can charge whatever someone is willing to pay. I only go as far as the high end of reasonable.

Which means I may have said $300 for the hedges. Knowing that there is a back and forth where u will always make less then you should have on some parts of the job it helps if you can make it up in other areas. This strategy means that if he happens to be home and see how long it takes to do them, or if he is lying about the $600. then you didnt try to "rip him off" . But you will make a little money on the hedging to cover what you didnt forsee would take so long, or go the extra mile, in another area.

Envy Lawn Service
02-28-2004, 01:18 AM
Hey!!!!!!! Did it ever occur to anyone this guy might have been saying $600 to "maintain" the hedges at 4.5 feet for the season??? One whack down job, then several shape ups throughout the season???
:eek:

JimLewis
02-28-2004, 03:48 AM
Well, first off, there may be some big difference in your methods vs. the other company's methods. For instance, suppose there is a 150' x 7' Laurel Hedge that needs to be trimmed. Now some guys would get up on a ladder and use their shears, climbing over the hedge reaching as far as they could with the shears and then move the ladder over 3' and do it again. Using shears for a job like this could take like 14 man hours.

Personally, I'd just take our $700 articulating hedge trimmer and get the job done with just 4 man hours. So suppose we both bill at $45 per man hour, then my bid would be $180.00 and the other guys' bid would be at about $630.

So that's how a scenario like the one that might happen.

The problem with the above scenario is that the guy with the $700 articulating hedge trimmer should be charging more than $45 per man hour because of the expensive, time-saving equipment he had to buy.

To answer your question - I would have to say that I probably would NOT have been 100% ethical in that situation. I'd like to say I would have been. But truth is I may not have been. I'd probably have said $300 or $400. I'd figure he's still saving hundreds of $$ and I am making some extra $$. We both win. And I'd also figure it was kind of his fault for spilling his guts about the other guy's price anyway. Doesn't mean I'd be right but that's probably what I'd be thinking at the time.

bobbygedd
02-28-2004, 07:27 AM
ok, here's the scoop. dooghie, give me a little bit of credit, will ya please? i gave him a quote, in writing, for all the other services. it was then he read the quote, and saw the hedges were not listed, so he inquired. he told me that "the other guy" quoted him a one time fee for the hedge job. i don't even know what kind of "hedge" it is. decidious, very thin branches, with the thickest part , to be trimmed, being about as thick as a child"s pincky finger. he said he wanted them done during spring cleanup. he said he wanted them done again after the growing season, but would try to do it himself, as he could not afford $600 now, and another $600 in july. i'm not as old as dirt, but i wasn't born yesterday either. my operating costs, as i previously stated, are $6.31 per hr. i have a ton of other work in the area. i wouldn't be making a trip for him, then driving half an hour to the next stop. i have 7 other stops within 10 blocks of this house. the 3.5 k property brings me $288 for fert program, $30 a cut for the lawn, and also a spring and fall cleanup. here is the way to tackle a job like that: during spring cleanup, i'll trim the hedges for $175, i'll do the spring cleanup for $75, and i'll do the pre-em with fert , this app is about $65. all this will take 3 hrs tops, and gross me $315. i don't know how long it takes you guys to trim simple hedges, but i can make a 100 foot yew hedge look disney characters in less than 2 hrs. now, i will admit, i was going to tell the man $400 after hearing his other quote, but before i could say $400, i could swear i felt someone grab my ear and say, "ummm, robert, i thought we talked about this sort of thing." so, this is what i did: i said we will trim them once during spring clean up, and then again after the growing season, at the rate of $175 for each trim. now mind you, the trim job in july will be nothing more than thin, green, new growth, and probably will take an hour. not saying the "other guy" was a thief, he must have 3-4 guys on the crew, driving a truck that cost $40,000, and using trimmers that cost him $800 a set. my guess is simply, he probably had to charge $600, just to make the same PROFIT as i am making, at $175. and i'll be there 10 months a year making money, and i'll get a few neighbors, and i'll do all thier lawns, chemicals, and snow too. i am not a "lowballer", by any means. i know my costs, and know what my body and equipment are capable of. sorry if i let any of you down. tell you what i'll do mac, when he aint lookin, i'll kick his cane out from under him. lol. how you feeling mac? i don't have an email address for you, could you please email me?

kris
02-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
sometimes i think you guys don't pay attention. i did NOT QUOTE HIM $175.

Well ...I guess I wasn't paying attention and that sheds a whole different light on it... I would have told him Id have no problem doing it for the 6 bills.

Jackman
02-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Had this same exact situation happen to me 9 years ago. The estimate in my head was 125 dollars potential customer blurts out that so and so estimated 400 dollars well I know the so and so guy and he is a Gypsy dirt bag I still gave her my fair and honest estimate and did the job and also got the maintance on the whole place for 4 years till she died. Bottom line for me be honest and fair and all else will workout..

iluvbermuda
02-28-2004, 08:37 AM
I 'll tell ya fellas. If your price of $175 was fair and you are happy with it. And then you hear the customer mention the $600 bid from the last guy. And then any one of you up your price above $175----YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A CROOK. THATS WHAT MAKES US LOOK BAD.

Andyinchville
02-28-2004, 01:01 PM
I'd charge the customer my price regardless of what other companies would have charged him.....The fact that
he may have lower bids or higher bids makes no difference to me....My price is my price and I'd stick by that....I think it'll all balance out in the end...you may be higher sometimes and you may be lower sometimes.....

pjslawncare/landscap
02-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Price went to $450 or $500. Both of us are happy :)

cush
02-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Why not bid $350 and if it only takes you the two hours you thought bill him the $175. This will show him you are honest and fair, if you go over two hours you did'nt loose money and the customer still saved $250!

WIN-WIN :)

greensummer
02-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Ultimately you want this customer to stay with you for a long time...........then you would grease his pocket with a Refer-A-Friend program.............best type of advertising!

Next?

Tommy CBR 600 F4i! :)

Turfdude
02-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Kudos Bobby, I believe you've turned the corner. I agree w/ Roddy's response. I think most would have gone w/ $200-$250.

NEWINNJ
02-28-2004, 06:17 PM
You better hope this customer doesn't know about lawnsite.com.

little green guy
02-28-2004, 07:30 PM
I gotta say I agree with EVERYTHING that MDIrrigation and Olderthandirt have said.

JimLewis
02-28-2004, 07:37 PM
If your price of $175 was fair and you are happy with it. And then you hear the customer mention the $600 bid from the last guy. And then any one of you up your price above $175----YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A CROOK. THATS WHAT MAKES US LOOK BAD.

And if you're going to sit here and tell me that every choice you make in this life is an honest, ethical, and moral choice, then YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A LIAR AND THAT MAKES US ALL LOOK BAD.

Look, I understand what you're saying. But the way you said it isn't very pursuasive. Consider wording it differently next time. Because your choice of words are mostly just offensive and don't stand a high likelihood of pursuading anyone.

dishboy
02-28-2004, 09:20 PM
"I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
Oscar Wilde

mtdman
02-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by jajwrigh
I think you should shoot for somewhere in between. I woud probably go around $300 or maybe a little less.

What he said. If he was willing to pay $600, then somewhere in the middle would make both of you happy. You wanna be happy with some $$ in your pocket, or honest with less $$. AND, he'll never know what your first price was going to be anyway.

craigs lawncare
02-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by cush
Why not bid $350 and if it only takes you the two hours you thought bill him the $175. This will show him you are honest and fair, if you go over two hours you did'nt loose money and the customer still saved $250!

WIN-WIN :)

I like cushs' idea of subtly raising your initial bid to cover your self in case you underestimate the job.
I don't know if I would have bid quite as high as $350 for two hours of hedge trimming but my bid still would have been less than half of the originally quoted price of $600.
If the job takes longer than you originally expected, you are happy and so is the client. If the job goes as you had originally figured, you can lower your billing accordingly and the customer will trust you even more.

Craig:)