PDA

View Full Version : 2 cycle trimmers

FFMED74
02-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Went to an open house today and spoke with the Echo rep. He told me that echo is going to soon be the only 2 cycle manufacturer of Trimmers due to the other guys not being able to meet emissions standards and they were all having to go to a quasi 4 cycle engine. Has anyone heard this too? I thought it was interesting.

metro-hp_48
02-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Sure hope not. Nothing against Echo, but just not my brand.

I would never believe it.

iluvbermuda
02-28-2004, 08:23 AM
I talked to my Stihl guy last wek amd he said the same thing.

FFMED74
02-28-2004, 09:09 AM
metro-hp-48 don't worry too much your brand will still make trimmers just a different design, btw I demo'd the Exmark turf tracer there, VERY cool, may have to get my first X, A little high on what I called the demo model, new was $4699 and the demo was $4499? I questions him about that price....Said he'd see what he could do.

outrunjason
02-28-2004, 09:40 AM
It's true! Echo has been able to meet emission standards
with thier 2 cycles. I don't know about others but STHIL was not able to but they have come out with something called a 4 mix. Not sure if it is out. It's almost like a 2 cycle. You still mix the gas and oil together. Only draw back is it weighs several ounces more than a normal STHIL.

I wouldn't buy an echo!

Jason

metro-hp_48
02-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Hmmm. Going to have to investigate this situation. Doesn't really matter, I have enough of my brand to last me a lifetime.
(Glad I just put in a new piston/rings in mine last season in my favorite one) Nobody at my dealer could understand how I got a replacement carb. that was adjustible. They ordered it for me.
They said it was not supposed to be in the US. Don't know.

Grass Master
02-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Echo will be one of the very few manufacturers continuing on with lightweight powerful 2 cycle engines....

4 cycle/ 4 mix engines are heavier (just try them and you will see...don't believe everything you read!!) and they have many more moving parts 18 to 20 moving parts to wear and fail as opposed to 3 moving parts in a 2 cycle engine..PLUS...4 cycle/ 4 mix need much more maintenance over time...MUCH more...valve adjustments etc. every 150 hours or so.....how much do you use your trimmers, blowers etc.....150 hours is NOT long! Keep in mind...if 4 cycle 4 mix type engines were so good manufacturers would have made them LONG ago....now, because they cannot meet emmissions, these companies have to make you think that 4 stroke /4 mix is the only way to go!!

Echo's new stuff is awesome..great power, just make sure you are getting "Power Boost Tornado" enignes with the better carbs.

Very nice stuff!!

PaulJ
02-28-2004, 01:55 PM
By about 2008 there won't be anything that uses mix gas. I read about an engine that operates as a 2-cycle but uses reg, gas and has a separate oil space in the crank case.

maybe diesel trimmers will be next?

MOturkey
02-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I bought a new Echo with the "tornado" engine last summer. Great cutting trimmer. The local dealer carries three other brands, but I was leaning towards Echo because of a friend of mine with a lawn service. He has a couple, one of which he bought used, and has absolutely worked the things to death for the past 5 years. Plus, he is ROUGH on equipment. The did tell him the last time he took the oldest trimmer in for repairs that this was probably the last time it would be worth fixing.

lawnlubber
03-01-2004, 04:08 PM
When they phase out the Stihl 2-cycle I hope you can still get parts?

LawnMower
03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by PaulJ
By about 2008 there won't be anything that uses mix gas. I read about an engine that operates as a 2-cycle but uses reg, gas and has a separate oil space in the crank case.

maybe diesel trimmers will be next?

Can you imagine how heavy a diesel weed whacker would be? I guess theres always the option of a 2 cycle diesel engine like on a bus. But I think there even fazing those out too.

MOturkey
03-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Can you say WEED HOOK? :(

honda
03-02-2004, 08:35 PM
can echo meet the next round of emissions with their 2 cycle. i think not from what i hear. that is why everyone is going to 4 mix. a 4 cycle engine with 2 cycle lubrication. it works great. more fuel effiecency, power and it does weigh 6 ounces less than the fs 85 solid shaft trimmer. you need to check it out. parts for 2 cycle whatever will be around for at least ten years.

dcondon
03-02-2004, 08:42 PM
My farther is a Hushy dealer, they are good to go......... they are ahead of echo......nothing new!

ed2hess
03-02-2004, 09:09 PM
We run a lot of Echo units and find it has the best handling characteristics(light vib free and balanced). They have come back with an adjustable carb this year and that IS VERY important. They let us run one unit as a test and it is a winner. We don't run the guard so we have about 20" of cord and it handles it fine. The unit ran 6mo. and had little clutch shoe wear and little debris in ports. Over the last 4 years we had to replace clutchs every 6mo and clean ports even though we use echo oil and 59 octane.

PaulJ
03-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by LawnMower
Can you imagine how heavy a diesel weed whacker would be? I guess theres always the option of a 2 cycle diesel engine like on a bus. But I think there even fazing those out too.

I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic.:rolleyes:

Although I think bio-diesel is going to be big real soon. Cleaner burning and renewable, But still too heavy.

dcondon
03-02-2004, 10:00 PM
are you in a closet..........Echo sucks......... You can compare them to Ryobi or a wal-mart special

BSDeality
03-02-2004, 10:10 PM
hah. right... many people would compare your husky stuff to something you'd find @ home cheapo.

that being said, i run a shindaiwa T230, but i love my echo PB750

Grass Master
03-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Echo makes awesome stuff especially the newer stuff with the adjustable carb...

DC...maybe you should come OUT of the closet and check it out!!