PDA

View Full Version : Missed them by 4 minutes

SodKing
02-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Interesting night last night....I went to a the UNH - Boston College Hockey game in Boston last night (I am a UNH alum) so I left my car at my Woburn MA office and drove in with friends. Well I returned back to discover a police car in the office lot and an officer looking into a window. We were burglarized, they ransacked the place looking for cash. Fortunately they didn't find it. Missed the perps by 4 minutes. Our luck is that we have a great alarm system, we could follow their every move by the sensors they kicked off. They were in for only 7 minutes and the police must have scared them away.

Don't know what would have happened if I arrived 10 minutes earlier...

metro-hp_48
02-28-2004, 10:30 AM
Oh $hit! Seems like there are alot of thieves out there, esp. with the cr*ck problem. Must do alot of stealing to afford a habit that cost hundreds a day. Hate to hear about that, but it could have always been ALOT worse. Glad your safe.

Andyinchville
02-28-2004, 11:44 AM
7 minutes is way too long !!!!.....People can take alot or do alot of damage in that time....We have a tear gas dispenser tied in w/ the central station alarm.....If alarm is tripped there is a 30 sec delay (user adjustable between 1 sec and 90 sec....in case you accidentally false trip it yourself)...until the place fills up w/ smoke and tear gas...Believe me they will be trying to get out when that happens!....Actually I think it is OC spray......It is available commercially and they claim you can air out your property in 45 minutes after an event.....A friend of mine who is also a gun dealer turned me onto the idea.

pjslawncare/landscap
02-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Neat idea Andy, Tear gas-- that will empty the place priity quick!
Sorry to hear about the break in sodking. Glad they didnt find the cash, but its a shame they messed up the place. Hope it doesnt set you back too bad.

cush
02-28-2004, 01:55 PM
Funny story. My brother in-law is a cop and responded to a car fire. Pulled what he thought was a red fire extinguisher out of the trunk. It was tear gas, he and the poor old man just rubbed their eyes till the fire department came.

MOturkey
02-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Happens out here in the boonies as well. I run a wholesale milk route, leaving about 3:00 AM. My truck is parked a couple of miles outside of town behind a business. Back during deer season, some lowlife broke into my Jeep while I was on the route, and cleaned it out. Not a great deal lost, but about $500 replacement value, plus the headache of having to do so. Even stole my hunting boots. Luckily, I didn't have a gun in the Jeep, but had left my binoculars and my wife's camera in there without thinking. Guess I won't do that again. Neill

SodKing
02-28-2004, 02:59 PM
It keeps getting more and more interesting. We just discovered that the 50 pair line that hold our T1, phone, internet line and also that of our tennants were also cut.

But wait theres more...

We had two trucks broken into yesterday as well, One while parked at a job in boston and one at a managers house last night.

swim
02-28-2004, 08:17 PM
Any disgruntled employees or anyone fired resently with a grudge.

Sounds very susipious to me.

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble.

SodKing
02-28-2004, 08:25 PM
We just took over a contract, $10,000/month from a less than credible competitor.

swim
02-28-2004, 08:51 PM
:confused: huh sounds like this is a good direction to start looking. :gunsfirin

tx_angler
02-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by SodKing
It keeps getting more and more interesting. We just discovered that the 50 pair line that hold our T1, phone, internet line and also that of our tennants were also cut.

But wait theres more...

We had two trucks broken into yesterday as well, One while parked at a job in boston and one at a managers house last night.

You're not dealing with the village idiot here. Whoever is doing this knows a lot about you, your business and is technically proficient. Be careful and good luck

tiedeman
02-28-2004, 10:13 PM
I would have to agree. Whoever does this knows a lot about your business

exmarklover
02-28-2004, 10:43 PM
But is the mower ok! OOh god tell me the mower is OK!! :)

Eric 1
02-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by exmarklover
But is the mower ok! OOh god tell me the mower is OK!! :)

lol......But is it ?

SodKing
02-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Thats the freaky thing, no equipment damaged or stolen, we believe all that is gone are some gas cards. Some computers were killed and the office is wrecked but not much else. Maybe they didn't have enough time.

SodKing
02-28-2004, 10:51 PM
They only had 7 minutes in the building, hell it took them 16 minutes from the time the lines were cut to get into the building, They had to rip some steel bars off the windows. Police were there 2 minutes after they exited the window they came in and I arrived, by chance, 2 minutes after that. To me, it sounds like someone was down the street or listening to a scanner.

My advice to all is make sure you have redundant security systems. We will probably be installing cameras next week. 11 trucks were in the building and all the associated equip

Eric 1
02-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Thats weird, if i was a thief...but i'm not, i would go straight for the small equipment. Glad to hear that its all there though. You may want to get a dog,a really big, nasty, mean dog! and some more pad locks.

SodKing
02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
I do have to credit the police, within 3 minutes of my arrival and the officer I met on scene who reported a burglery in process 4 more cruisers arrived and they secured the building and surrounding grounds. Then the Crime scene investigator showed up and dusted the whole place for print, it was very interesting....no hot blonde with him though.

turfmann
02-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Many years ago I worked for a company whose office was in a depressed area - constant break-ins. 8' chain link with two rolls of razor wire was no impediment. Once they were in the first thing they'd do was to cut the phone line. Our alarm guy set us up with a novel idea. He ran an alarm wire outside and zip-tied it to the phone cable. Both the phone line and alarm wire were black so it wasn't immediately obvious. The alarm system had a cellular transmitter so when the phone and alarm wires were cut the cellular telephone called the alarm company. Saved minutes - got the PD there all the quicker.

Navig8r
02-29-2004, 08:09 AM
I like the idea of a big dog....... but I guess if ya have motion sensors in the building, this could be a problem......though ya could disable the alarm motion sensors and let the 4-legged one cover!
I think cameras would be a good idea too.

Good luck, let us know WHEN you catch the scumbags..........

Lets get it done
02-29-2004, 10:54 AM
I'm a retiered(or retarted) Border Patrol Agent. We used to respond to calls like this one all the time, where I was stationed last. The local police only had 2 officers, the cheif and his son. They cut off at about 5 or 6pm evry day monday thru friday and didn't want to be bothered unless it was something big. Most people would just call us if there was a problem and these two GREAT OFFICERS would forward all phones to us when they cut off for the night.

The Idea with the dog sounds great at first. Now here is the down sides. Every day you have to feed and make sure he has plenty to drink and worry about his health IE. medical bills. All day someone has to take him out to do his business, or go around ceaning up his messes, or step in them then clean them up. Not to mention every morning someones got to clean up last nights messes. Don't forget the smell and all someone needs to do to defeat your $500.00 to $1500.00 trained killer is give him half a pound of hamberger with poison. Trust me the cost is big when you lose one of these dogs, everyone working for you has become attached, and when he's killed it'll be like you just lost everones most loved co worker to cancer. plus then you've got to get a new one and get him trained.

The OC idea is a winner, but try this (It's the ultimate kick in the balls) Peppar spray instead of OC. also you want to add some paingivers. with OC and smoke it gets the people out. But me I want to catch the SOBS that tried to take the food from my children and my employe's children. So the smoke disorients them, the Peppar spray puts them down hard, the paingivers use sonics to keep them down untill the police show up to apply the propper amount of FOOT TO A _ _!!! I've seen this work and the conviction rate is near 100% if your local PD officers aren't total jerk offs.

SodKing
02-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Right now we are going to keep with the system we have, it is a top system with sensors in every room. We are going to add a loop up the phone line (great idea) to give that much more advanced warning. It took the perps about 16 minutes to get into the building after they cut the phone line. Fortunalty the cell backup functioned properly and the alarm called the police. OC is not an option as there are about 10 offices in addition to the main warehouse to cover.