PDA

View Full Version : cheap fertilizers

yardguy.net
02-28-2004, 05:40 PM
I just bought a little over 5 acres. Can anyone tell me the cheapest way to fertilize it. I was reading on line about a fertilizer called Urea. Does anyone know anything about it. It would probably cost me 400 or 500 dollars to fertilize my place using the regular fertilizer you buy at your nursery or plant store.

j fisher
02-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Urea is NITROGEN. No potasium or phosphate.

mow2nd
02-28-2004, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't use Urea........unless u like cutting grass every 3 days

are u in the lawn care business or you just a home owner?

yardguy.net
02-29-2004, 11:00 AM
I am in the lawn care business in San Antonio Texas. I just bought this property last fall and haven't had a chance to fertilize or even mow it yet.

timturf
02-29-2004, 11:20 AM
You maybe in the lawn care business, but not in fert and pest application side!!!!!!!!1

yardguy.net
02-29-2004, 02:11 PM
It seems to many know it alls SPOILS A FORUM. ThatS what a forum is for,asking people questions who have experience. I was just asking for opinions from people who have more experience than I do and may be able to give me a good answer NOT A SMART ASS CRACK.

heritage
02-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Yardguy.net,
Go to a farmers co-op and buy yourself 30 fifty pound bags of 15-15-15 or 18-18-18 all mineral ag. fert. It should cost you less than $200 and will be enough to fert 5 acres. This is the cheapest way I know of for someone to apply a complete NPK fertilizer.

Pete D.

Turf Medic
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by heritage
Yardguy.net,
Go to a farmers co-op and buy yourself 30 fifty pound bags of 15-15-15 or 18-18-18 all mineral ag. fert. It should cost you less than $200 and will be enough to fert 5 acres. This is the cheapest way I know of for someone to apply a complete NPK fertilizer.

Pete D.

Pete has the answer you are looking for.

If you are set up for it you may be able to purchase in bulk even cheaper. Usually the co-op will have a tractor pulled spreader you can rent or borrow if you purchase the fertilizer from them.

And as far as timturfs answer, if it is your own property, you don't have to be licensed.

greenerpastures
02-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Good advice above. In central Texas check your yellow pages for El Dorado Chemical, Helena Chemical, Estes or UAP ag chemicals and fertilizers. You can probably buy bulk for less than $300/T if you agree to buy at least a ton. They may even supply a spreader buggy (requires small tractor or HD pickup). Often they will offer custom application with option to apply herbicides with about a $200 minimum. Not a bad option--- if you are not equipped to spray. If it qualifies as "pasture" they can apply a grazon treatment fairly cheap. And by the way, in Texas you are not required to be licensed by TDA to apply fertilizers for hire.