PDA

View Full Version : Correspondence Schools

ken50
02-28-2004, 06:40 PM
I am brand new to all this, but had a question. Have any of you used, or can you suggest, a good online correspondence school for landscaping, that upon its completion, will have you ready to go out in the real world and be successful in the landscape industry? I have a fulltime job in which I work a good 50+ hours a week, working for a company I have been with for 18 years. Unfortunately, it seems that there are some major layoffs coming, and I may be one of the ones cut...who knows? Bottom line, I am tired of dealing with the corporate "bologna" and would really like to go for this. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ken

mow2nd
02-28-2004, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't pay for school, this is not rocket science. Get a job with a good landscaping company. You will get paid and you can learn the business. After a year of working with a good company, you can go out on your own.

good luck

Randy J
02-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Don't know much about the landscaping schools, but 2 real good lawn care schools are the University of Georgia Turfgrass Management Course (http://www.gactr.uga.edu/is/turf/) , and the Purdue University Turfgrass Course (http://www.cll.purdue.edu/extendeduniversity/selfdirected/correspondencecourses/pestcontrol/detail/index.cfm?Course_ID=3) . I recommend taking the UofG course first, then the PU course.

Randy

Flipperneck
02-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I would listen to mow2nd I haven't started my business yet but I know alot about landscaping and maintenance you could never learn in a classroom. Thats whats important in any trade. I have 8 years experience and I'm not rushing things. I am waiting till I have all the equipment and saving to do this right. I you can find a job working hard in a "decent co." give it some time and learn things right. I see guys using equipment and tactics that are just flat out ridiculous but it just that they don't know any better. Find someplace with clean people and equipment that runs on a normal basis and model yourself after it. Just don't rush what you will hopefully be doing for the next 30 years.

ken50
02-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys...I appreciate the help...looks like it's U of G Turfgrass Management course for me!

Randy J
03-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Good luck with it. You'll get a lot of valuable information out of the course. Just remember to not get behind. It's a lot of self-paced reading.

Randy