PDA

View Full Version : Pay.....

thegrassman
02-29-2004, 12:58 AM
I'm 19, and have one more year in college...after that i plan to start my own lawncare/landscaping business.....
i see alot of people doing well in the business, and i also see alot doing pretty bad. My question is... how much money can you really make in this field.... and.....can you make a good living just on lawn care alone? Also, what do all you guys do in the winter if your not in an area that would need snow removal??:confused:

specialtylc
02-29-2004, 01:06 AM
You can starve or be a millionaire and everything inbetween. I make a good living at it ,I put money in retirement account and make enough in 7 months I dont have to work the other 5 . But we do plow snow as a bonus, but cant rely on plowing income in many areas .

JimLewis
02-29-2004, 01:10 AM
You can honestly make as much or as little as you want in this business - it just takes planning. Consider this now - before you begin; Do you want to own and run a successful company? Or do you want to be a LCO. There's a BIG difference.

If you want to own and run a company - are you preparing for that? It's much harder than you might think. READ, STUDY, PREPARE! Learn all you can about accounting, taxes, marketing, duplication, organization, business etiquite, customer retention, etc.

And if you're wanting to run a successful company the goal is usually to grow the company so that it's one day either self sufficient OR worth lots of money to someone else. Read E-Myth, E-Myth Revised, and E-Myth for Contractors (starting with the last one).

So with that thought in mind, plan to start your business where it has the best chance of success. You may have been born and raised in Podilly, TX. But by God, if Podilly, TX only has a population of 25,000 and an average household income of $40,000 per year and Dallas, TX has a population of 2 million and average household income of $125,000 per year - MOVE TO FRIGGIN DALLAS! It only makes good business sense.

As for what to do in the winter - find out from local LCOs and Landscapers. Here, we have mild but rainy winters. Which is nice because we insist on year-round maintenance. We still stop by every property 2 times per month all winter and do SOMETHING each visit. We charge a flat rate each month of the year. So that's how we do it around here. But I don't know how they do it where you live.

launboy
02-29-2004, 01:50 AM
what is e myth and whre do you get it

JimLewis
02-29-2004, 02:30 AM
I'ts a book. Any bookstore.

launboy
02-29-2004, 03:24 AM
ya i kind of figured it was a book.

MOturkey
02-29-2004, 08:38 AM
I think JimLewis has a valid point about relocation, especially for a young fellow like yourself. I'm seriously considering, after retirement, moving to Ft. Lauderdale and starting a snow removal business. :D

rtyus
02-29-2004, 11:51 AM
This business is like any other; you can build it as big as you are willing to work for. You have to define success by your own defintion. Some people want a multi-million dollar company, and others just want to be large enough to make a decent living and stick something back. As far as relocating goes, that's fine if that's what your goals are and you want to go after the really big money, but personally, I prefer to live in a less-populated rural area. I may not ever have as large a company, but the cost of living is less, and the stress is less. But again it's all a matter of what YOUR goals are and what YOUR definition of success is.

upsondown
02-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Establish a business plan and never take your eyes off of it. Associate yourself with successful business people in your area - not only those in Landscaping and Lawn Care - but from every field. Find an attorney, an accountant, and a banker and establish a relationship with each of them. When I went into business 25 years ago I first met with my attorney - and got his recommendation for the other two - and then one of the most valuable meetings I ever had was with my attorney, accountant and banker. Each knew where I wanted to be - and found it a challenge for each of them to help me reach those goals. The day will come when you will need financial backing and it is critical to have a financial relationship already in place. There is a ton of information that could be provided to you - but the simplest - most solid piece of advice I can ever offer anyone is what I started out with "Establish a business plan". If you are diligent in that - you will be successful.
Dave

Mdirrigation
02-29-2004, 12:58 PM
You wont know unless you try . You will either fail or suceede, the only way to increase you chance of sucess is knowledge, and that alone does not guarentee sucess . Either way win or lose you will have gained experience in business.

Nothing ventured , nothing gained

The only thing guarenteed in life are death and taxes .

If you wait 20 years to start a business , you will always tell yourself I wished I started 20 years ago.

thegrassman
02-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts....As for relocation, i'm set. Every farm and open space in my area is being turned into upscale/middleclass housing developments, not to mention new business's are popping up left and right. When it comes to winter months, its touch and go. Last year we got a few feet of snow, this year like 3 inches, and some years we don't get a thing, cuz i'm in delaware (transition zone). I'm going to school for horticulture, and learning alot!I'm also taking some business courses. I will pick up that "e-myth" book ASAP, i've seen it all over this site, people saying its a must....
As for what i want my business to be..... my vision is that when the client looks out his/her window at my crew, they don't see a bunch of highschool freshman looking kids w/raggedy T-shirts, lazily pushing mowers around. But rather, a proffessional crew doing a proffessional job. I'd like to be a big name in my area, and have a reputation for excellence. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my work, and i'm hoping that will be percieved by my customers. Also, i'm not going into this field for the money. As far as the work goes, i love it! Nothing better than working somewhere, and see'ing people checkin out your work w/thier jaw dropped (happened a couple times w/what i mow). One of my employers even requested that I mow his lawn instead of him, because he likes the way i mow it (stipes perfect, everything perfect). Basically, it all comes down to.. "i'm not gonna do this half ass"

JimLewis
02-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you're off to a great start!

As for this comment; Also, i'm not going into this field for the money. Don't kid yourself. Unless you plan on offering your services for free - you're in it for the money. And there should be nothing wrong with that. We all need money. And in today's age with all the expenses of living, raising a family, having a home, etc. we need lots of money. Nothing to be ashamed of. It's when you get greedy with it that it becomes something bad.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-29-2004, 03:21 PM
do a business plan to find out what it will cost to start out and what it takes to stay in business
there r many people out there that say they have a business and all they have is a hobby
it makes no money and is a total waste of time for the so called business owner
plan ahead and make it happen :)

PROCUT1
02-29-2004, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JimLewis
[
And if you're wanting to run a successful company the goal is usually to grow the company so that it's one day either self sufficient OR worth lots of money to someone else. Read E-Myth, E-Myth Revised, and E-Myth for Contractors (starting with the last one).

Reading the E-Myth revised now......Cant put it down.....

Jim, How is the Contractor one?,....Just as good?

JimLewis
02-29-2004, 08:46 PM
It's awesome. That's why I recommend it so much. I am only half way through it though. I have a lot of books I am reading currently. Mostly boring ones like "Grade Easy" (book on grading, slopes, etc.) and "Soil Science Management." Ugh!

thill
03-01-2004, 12:37 AM
MOturkey,

I like your idea of relocating to Ft Lauderdale to start a snow removal business. I think I might try that too! <silly grin>

Jim Lewis,

Are you sure Podilly is in TX, I thought it was in Oklahoma!

Good thread.

Tom

thegrassman
03-01-2004, 06:55 PM
when i said i wasn't in it for the money, i guess what i really meant is... its not like i'm doing it JUST for the money....

thegrassman
03-01-2004, 06:57 PM
O... and i just ordered E myth revisited, and E myth for contractors.... they should be here in a week or two. I can't wait to soak these books up and c what everyone's talking about

bastalker
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
I wanted to put my .02 in!:( ;)

There is absolutely nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but good luck to you!!

thegrassman
03-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Reading E-Myth right now. i'm about half way thru it... man.. this book is great! Gives me a whole new perspective on my future business!! I had no idea someone could describe the mind set of a business owner in such length and detail. I'd definitly recomend it to anyone even remotely thinking of having their own business!