PDA

View Full Version : Deadheading Perennials?????

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-29-2004, 06:30 AM
What is the correct way to deadhead perennials like Hostas, etc? Right now they are all dried up and dead looking and I know they will be coming up soon.

I have seen them taken all the way to the ground and they seem to come back OK.

I am new at bed maintenance.....thanks for the help...

Derek

greenngrow
02-29-2004, 06:55 AM
they should of been cut back last fall. You can give them a trim now, but don't wait too long.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-29-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply....

.....this is a new customer. So as for last fall I can not comment.

But is that correct to take then all the way to the ground???

Derek

KenH
02-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Yes.

You could probably just rake thme out now. The leaves should pull up pretty easily.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-29-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks

Derek

Kate Butler
03-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Deadheading hostas means cutting the finished flower stalks (for any number of reasons: tidiness, preventing seedlings, some clients only like the leaves, etc..).

Sounds like you're asking about late fall maintenance - which should, indeed, involve cutting to the ground and removing the debris (prevents critters wintering over in the debris). To the ground, literally because any aboveground flowerstalks will become splintery by the following spring - making weeding potentially unpleasant for bare fingers. Leaf debris will become slimy and sticky over the winter. Don't worry, they'll come back fine in the spring, cutting to the ground in the fall is good for all non-woody perennials

Critical Care
03-14-2004, 03:44 PM
You know, it's wise to get a good book on plants and how to care for them because a lot of shrubs, for example, you cut all the way down to the ground each year while others you may just thin or head back a little bit. Kate is correct, the hostas look slimy and terrible if left alone to winter's fate. I think you're safe deadheading most perennials down to the ground at the end of the season. Any exceptions???

But, if you're doing maintenance on plants, get a good book like Sunset's Western or Eastern Garden Book which has thousands of plants listed. It's sort of the Bible of plants that many nurseries use as reference.

alpine692003
10-12-2004, 03:27 AM
Okay, I've never pruned hostas before.. When you guys say cut it to the ground, that means going out there grab your hand pruner and snip off ALL the hostas LEAVES so all you are left with are the hosta stems???

Grassmechanic
10-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I usually wait until the leaves just start to turn yellow, then trim the leaves, stems etc. right to the ground. Hostas will regenerate new plants next spring from the roots.

alpine692003
10-12-2004, 12:03 PM
I see, thank you!

Artistic Blooms
10-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Don't cut back Russian Sage until Spring and same with Butterfly bushes