PDA

View Full Version : Advice to Everyone

FosterGroundsMaint
02-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm probably going to make some enemies, but this has to be said.

Here is my advice to anyone staring in business:

<b>Don't use the name 'Cutting Edge'</b>
This name is overused in almost every industry that uses a blade. There are hundreds and hundreds of 'Cutting Edge' lawncare's out there.

<b>Dont use cheesey names with a three letter word in front of -Cut</b>
Top-Cut, Tru-Cut and especially Pro-Cut are all dangerously overused. We need to get more creative.

<b>Don't design your own logo</b>
There is a reason that we are in this industry and not graphic designers - we aren't as good at designing! I used to design my own stuff, and it sucked. A good designer is a good investment. Most average people aren't as skilled at creating logos and selecting typefaces.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, just pointing out some problems we have. <b>How do we expect to be remembered by customers if we all have the same name?</b>

FFMED74
02-29-2004, 07:59 PM
No one should get mad at someones opinion as long as you aren't calling names or cussing at us. I have said things here that I would have like to have had back, but it wasn't mean, you are speaking a true fact. Too many people go with the easy route, I tired to do somethings that way, but now I am seeing the light and learning along the way. If someone gets mad, then it is their problem as long as I didn't do the above no no's name calling and cussing at you!
You said the truth.

mow2nd
02-29-2004, 09:13 PM
So is that all the advice you have? No cheesey name and don't do a logo.

I think there is more to the business than cheesey names and logos. To me the Name and the logo..........has nothing to do with business.

I dont think a customer is looking for a company who has the best name and the best logo. I think a customer is looking for a good service.

Hope I dont piss anybody off cause I know a lot of guys work really hard on a NAME and spend lots of money having a logo made. Sorry fellas, spend more time getting better at what you do.

GreenTurf
02-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by mow2nd
So is that all the advice you have? No cheesey name and don't do a logo.

I think there is more to the business than cheesey names and logos. To me the Name and the logo..........has nothing to do with business.

You should of stated that the Name and Logo........has nothing to do with your service and quality of cut that you provide, but your Name and Logo is a big part of business. You had said that a name has nothing to do with business, but if you don't have a name you don't exist.

crawdad
03-01-2004, 09:19 AM
How about "A-1" for a name so that you'll be first in the listings? That's the tiredest one out there, but it probably does work, somewhat.
Crawdad

CNE
03-01-2004, 08:13 PM
Well, I guess I fall into your category of cheesy but it's ok. You are entitled to your opinion. My company name is Cut-N-Edge Lawn Care & Landscaping. Not quite the cutting edge your were talking about but close. I didn't want it to be cutting edge. I think the name lets everyone know what I do and I personally don't see a problem with it. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not mad at you. By the way, I do have someone designing a logo for me. Should have some drafts in a week.

aquamtic
03-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Ok! Since my background is marketing and design- Maybe for the green industry a name and how it looks might not be that critical but at times one can benefit more from something that sticks out within reason. All day long while driving around I check out names and logos on trucks and whether its a towing company or landscaping, the name or image sticks. At times it sticks so well that I will remember it days later and try to locate them online just to capture their whole concept.

So yes a name or logo can set you apart but I wouldnt start grinding up a new name and hiring a designer for 150.00 bucks an hour.

Just my cuttin' edge 2 cents!

Aleman
03-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Or how about AAA...or Jiffy Lube, how cheesy is that? Then you have Burger King...who the heck thought that one up? Roto Rooter?? I guess cheesy can work......

Expert Lawns
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
If you want to stand out or be noticed, mow your lawns in a tuxedo. nothing wrong with that, and noone will forget you. far fetched? yea. will it work? yea

lawncarepros2004
03-02-2004, 08:17 PM
precisely why i married a graphic design artist. any you fellas need a work done?

PROCUT1
03-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Dont use cheesey names with a three letter word in front of -Cut
Top-Cut, Tru-Cut and especially Pro-Cut are all dangerously overused. We need to get more creative.

Hmmm

PROCUT1
03-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Havent ran into another Pro-Cut yet in the past 10 years

Wells
03-04-2004, 08:31 PM
Foster,

How about this piece of advice:

Don't use equipment that a homeowner can buy at Walmart and try to call yourself a professional. What kind of image are you trying to portray? Is this good for the profession?

I've seen a lot of nice logos on this board that were produced by individuals themselves.

People design thier own logos for the same reason you are using walmart equipment. Money...Money...Money...
You start with what you can afford and then work up from there.

IndyPropertyCare
03-05-2004, 05:35 AM
Again....all Im going to say is >>> CA Lawncare :D

ProMo
03-05-2004, 10:11 AM
my home made logo

firedog2710
03-06-2004, 01:43 AM
i used to be a paramedic for a local private ambulance company. to avoid being called A-1 ambulance, but to still be first in the phone book, they called the company Abbott Ambulance. how about Abbott Lawn Care?

KCLandscape
03-06-2004, 02:01 AM
There are 2 pro cut in Kansas City
1 north, one south

sodzilla
03-06-2004, 03:09 AM
My advise to everyone is to educate yourself on what you are doing. It doesn't matter what you call yourself. Or what your logo looks like. Your work is what will set you apart from the rest. Anyone can buy a mower and mow lawns. But can everyone diagnose a turfgrass disease. And know how to treat it. I was going to start my business last year. Actually I formed it last year. But I took last year to get my pesticide certification. Joined PLCAA and I am just about to finish their turf certification program. Then I'm going going to take their ornimental course.

Granted you don't have to take these courses but go buy some books and do some reading. Scott's and Ortho (just to name a few) have excellent books you can buy. There is also alot of good info here on lawnsite. However its not always correct.

I want to assure my clients that they can feel confident with me. And they are going to get the best service they can get.

Brian

sodzilla
03-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Also as far as A-1 goes. A friend of mine owns A-1 Landscaping here in Madison. Madison is the capitol of WI. Its not the largest city in the state. But the population of the county is over 500,000 people. He is the only Certified Landscape Technician, and Certified Block Retaining Wall Installer in the area. He has so much work to do it not even funny. Is this all because he is the first one listed in the phone book?

I don't think so!

Brian

charlies
03-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Wells
Foster,

How about this piece of advice:

Don't use equipment that a homeowner can buy at Walmart and try to call yourself a professional.

that is very funny, i'm laughing. it's like telling someone their fly is down.