PDA

View Full Version : Fence installation?

workaholic
02-29-2004, 08:26 PM
I was interested in knowing if any companys do fence installations? Thought maybe this might be another way to expand business.

AGLA
02-29-2004, 09:34 PM
If you have enough labor and management to fit it in, you can do it.

I think there is a constant struggle between diversifying and specializing.

I see many well established companies sub out fencing, irrigation, and maintenance in order to concentrate on what they do best and to do it more efficiently.

At the same time I see litterally hundreds of very smal landscapers continually tooling up to offer more services, but they never have more help.

You have to ask yourself what you expect to gain out of it and then to crunch the numbers. I know people that have 2 man mowing crews that gross $100k a year and do it in 36 months with a one-ton and $10k in equipment. Then I know guys That have 2 man crews doing a little mowing, walkways, walls, fences, pruning, light tree work, plowing, ... with 2 trucks and every blessed gadget in the world (none of it free) that gross about the same. Who is making more money? Who has an easier time managing?

Unless you have unlimited human resources, are a great people manager, or have more time than work, it is better to specialize in my opinion.

little green guy
03-01-2004, 12:01 AM
We do some fences, fences can be a pain in the neck though. It depends on what kind of fence, split rail/ post and rail are easy, not to much to mess up and waste time with then you have those aluminum fences and such that are more difficult. I typicall will do split rail/ post and rail, stockade, board on board, picket and some vynle fences. The other are a little harder and I sub that out to the guys who do it all the time that know the tricks. It also depends on how big of a job it is. Stuff like split rail I'll take on any job but the more intricute the fence the easier it is to get lost a snag and end up losing your shirt if your crews not used to doing it.

Malach636
06-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi. Fence installation is my primary business. It would be a great addition to you company. There is alot of need for fences. And the profit margin is fantastic. Need any more info, I would be glad to help.

SERRICO
06-14-2004, 04:31 PM
And the profit margin is fantastic

WELL WHAT KIND OF PROFIT MARGIN?

Malach636
06-14-2004, 04:40 PM
well realistically....it depends on how much you can get materials for. And if your suppliers cut you breaks if you buy in bulk. It also depends on how big the fences are in terms of overall length, height, if its chain link, wood, or vinyl. For a round about idea, lets just say a 300 ft, 4ft high chainlink fence, which is about a two day job. Total bill around $3,200- $3,600, after you pay for materials, you can bring home around $2,000- $2,500. At least that is what the going rate is around here. It not a far reach to make double or triple you material cost.

landscapingpoolguy
06-14-2004, 11:37 PM
i sub out my fences to a buddy that own a fence installation business....Work out well....i get kicks for getting him jobs, I kick him back for landscape or stone work.

Chuck

desertrat
06-15-2004, 12:35 AM
Arizona is a lot different than most states I guess. I have a contractors licence for residential landscaping, and it does not allow me to do fences, as that is another licence. They are very strict on what I can an can't do. But, the truth is, there is no one really checking or enforcing these laws. The only time it becomes a problem is when you screw up and the home owner complains. Then you can be is serous trouble with fines.