PDA

View Full Version : I put up ads and business cards in stores and they disappear...

justmjc
02-29-2004, 11:13 PM
You know how they have stores that allow space to put up flyers and business cards and such, like a meijers? Well, I put out flyers and a bunch of business cards in the area, and I'll be darn, each time I go in there gone. This last time was just 2 days after setting them out. I don't know if it's the store, competition, or some azz holes doing it. I asked a store manager and there not sure who regulates that or if customers just trash them. I put up a cheap, but nice clear display of 30 business cards and some scattered seperatly, and I come back next day....gone.

I'm getting pissed because there are other peoples crap all over the place. I'm about half ready to sit ALL day waiting just to see what kind of trash takes my stuff.

Anyone have any information on who regulates that stuff if any?

DUSTYCEDAR
02-29-2004, 11:18 PM
think about how many other landscapers go buy there
not all of them like compition so guess what bye bye cards
i stopped wasteing time doing it that way you would due better to just throw them out the truck window

scottishmaximus
02-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Hopefully you are getting that many potential customers. If somebody is taking them and that soon, they may work for the store. Do any other lawn dudes advertise there? Business cards are pretty cheap means of advertising. Maybe a few potential customers will get them before they are taken.

AMAC
02-29-2004, 11:43 PM
The same thing happens to me, every time I put up a flyer it gets yanked. My first year it was a great form of cheap advertising, but now it gets expensive.

justmjc
02-29-2004, 11:46 PM
No, actually I put up a clear acrylic b-card holder . I knew they would be taken, so I put the holder behind the metal racks and it was tight to get in there as well. This along with about 30 b-cards disappeared. I made sure that if they were to be taken, it would be a job. Display and cards....gone. Had to have taken him at least 5-10 mins to gather the scattered cards, and fight taking the display out because of how tight it was wedged in there. I know I felt weird putting it in there because of how much of a fight it was, so I can only imagine what this guy went through.

It wasn't accidental, that's for sure.

justmjc
03-01-2004, 12:10 AM
But, I will say this. I am1 step ahead of the competition in another way. I have a 8.5 x 11" full color flyer with a business card displays in multiple locations across the city. I have good friends and families that know the owners that run these facilities as well. AND, it's actual counter space, not the pin up boards. Do to this, all eyes are on the displays at all times, both customers and the clerks. Along with friends and family patroling when they visit, I think this helps prevent a little more with swiping my crap. So far so good with those ventures anyway. At least there still there for now.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
It is a shame that people stoop that low but it does happen,probbly some one thinks they are gonna corner the market and mow 1000 yards a week, good luck

bastalker
03-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Why not go door to door with the flyers, or cards,an target specific areas that you want. I dont think competition is going to follow ya around yanking them out of doors....

Get a couple of kids, an pay them for delivering them door to door. They dont mind doing it, an they are making money..You can spend your time on the phone to SNET Yellow Pages...;) :D

mtdman
03-01-2004, 04:43 AM
I've got a little local store right around the corner that I put fliers up in last fall for aeration. They all got swiped within a day. I doubt that 100 people took them in less than 24 hours. Sometimes it's not worth the hassel.

protouchlawn
03-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Smile!!! If it is the competition taking them, it means they are worried about you!!! Seriously, it is pretty cheap advertising,and
if you wind up with a couple of good accounts from it,it will have been worth the PITA.

kory landscaping
03-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I had same problem, I had an ad up in a drug store and the next day it was gone. So i staked out the area the next day. I stood by the board and here comes a young kid. Walks up to the board grabs my ad and rips it up. Then he checks his ad, so i go up to him and asked him I that Landscape Company is any good. He said he runs it, so i go to pull a tag off and darn my hand slipped and rip his ad off, so what the heck i rip it up. I told him you rip my ad, i'll rip up your ad. The look was worth a million dollars.
the cashier told me she would check to make sure that does'nt happen again. It hasn't received 10 new customers.
Sometimes you get luck and catch them in the acted.

Good Luck
Wayne
Kory Landscaping

cantoo
03-11-2004, 09:38 PM
justmjc, I used to work all over Michigan and everytime I went into a business I would look at the business cards for ideas. I would take one if it was a good one and there were lots there. I likely have one of yours.
mtdman, I worked in Ann Arbor too. :o
I have a couple of places here that we set cards out at. We only use our old cards there just to use them up. We do get calls from customers who got them there so keep putting them out. You might want to consider some cheap plain cards.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-11-2004, 10:46 PM
It seems my partner has been putting our cards at a pizza place he goes to near his house. Well we finaly got a job out of this and while its only one job I am not going to complain on 14,000 dollar lawn and planting job for the cost of maybe 5 dollars with of cards.

tiedeman
03-11-2004, 10:48 PM
it could be the owners that are taking them down. Next time go in there and ask first whether you can post them up.

Randy Scott
03-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Not surprised. Most landscapers are morons and spend more energy trying to screw the other guy rather than build their business off hard work and great service. They are such a pathetic display for a business model, I'm some days embarrassed to be a part of the industry.

Turfcutters Plus
03-12-2004, 12:32 AM
I nail my spot repeatedly.Unbelievable luck i've had.Good i mean.Stores clear boards often.Consistancy is key hear!

Birddog Lawncare
03-12-2004, 09:50 AM
I've been posing flyers and cards at local stores for over a month now. SOme stores seem to stay up longer than others. I did have an SBC/Ameritech sales guy take my card and call to see if I wanted to put an ad in the Yellow pages this year. Who know who's taking the rest of them?

Birddog Lawncare
03-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I haven't recd. one call from the flyers that I've posted. I've hung them in about eight stores in three surrounding communities.

mastercare
03-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Just a little bit of experience here:

I have another business I concentrate on more during the winters as an insurance agent (Health Ins....if anyone in Michigan is interested.....mastercarelawnscape@yahoo.com). I wanted to put up a flyer at the local Meijer's. I called the store and was told that an ad agency runs the bulletin boards for several local stores. I called the number they gave me, and the monthly prices for advertising were RIDICULOUS!

So, if you're having your ads removed, it's probably not competition, not customers, and not some punk kids pulling them down. It's most likely the ad agency that doesn't want you advertising on "their" bulletin board without writing them a huge check first!!!

Thought I'd share my experience!

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-13-2004, 03:43 PM
I had a guy taking my ads down 2 years ago. I knew it was him because I would hang mine on a clear board and come back the next day and his would be there and mine was gone. I confirmed this process many times.

His flyer said to "Call anytime". So I called him one morning at 3:30......and politely explained that I had the same right to advertise that he did. Stangely my flyers stopped disappearing...

Derek