PDA

View Full Version : Articulating wing deck mowers are more productive

LASTEC
02-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Has anyone had a chance to cut with a articulating wing deck mower? I have been cutting grass for the last 15yrs with all types of ztr mowers and they a fast, but with this wing deck mower I'm running now it blows me away how much line trimming it saves. Check out this link. http://www.lastec.com/products/comm/69.html (http://) i hope this link works

LASTEC
03-01-2004, 02:05 PM
This link should work
www.lastec.com/products/comm/69.html

Fareway Lawncare
03-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Any plans for a Walk in the near future? The articulating deck looks like a winner.

amw
03-01-2004, 05:48 PM
it looks like it would be great...
and i looked for a dealer near me and the same one i already go to has them, or so it says.. i have not ever saw them in their.. but its a big place, or maybe their just starting to carry them

i am going to go up their tomarrow and see if they have them and check them out

what do they run? ($)
what about warrenty?
will my dealer have a "spec sheet"?

and can the "17 inch portion" be left at a 90 deg. angle for loading and transporting? (and what size gate will it fit in)

thanks for any info

LASTEC
03-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Any plans for a Walk in the near future? The articulating deck looks like a winner.

Not that i know of at this time. Do you think a walkbehinde artiulator would be needed?

Flex-Deck
03-01-2004, 10:54 PM
LASTEC - I have been saying the same thing for four years on this site and was only met with sceptacism. I certainly hope they believe you more than they did me. It may now OK because you are a well known and reputable company. Good luck. You are right, the offset flexible wing saves tons of mowing and trimming time. You have a great product, and keep it going. Thanks, brad

LASTEC
03-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by amw
it looks like it would be great...
and i looked for a dealer near me and the same one i already go to has them, or so it says.. i have not ever saw them in their.. but its a big place, or maybe their just starting to carry them

i am going to go up their tomarrow and see if they have them and check them out

what do they run? ($)
what about warrenty?
will my dealer have a "spec sheet"?

and can the "17 inch portion" be left at a 90 deg. angle for loading and transporting? (and what size gate will it fit in)

thanks for any info

Tony,
Good chance you will not see them in the dealer yet, but you will very soon hopefully in about 30 days.

on a 2869 the list is around 11,200.
2 years parts 1 year labor
Your dealer will not have the specs yet sorry.
I don't think the 69" deck will be a issue for trailering, the 86" deck will lift over the rail of a trailer and then some. I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow.

LASTEC
03-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
LASTEC - I have been saying the same thing for four years on this site and was only met with sceptacism. I certainly hope they believe you more than they did me. It may now OK because you are a well known and reputable company. Good luck. You are right, the offset flexible wing saves tons of mowing and trimming time. You have a great product, and keep it going. Thanks, brad

Thanks Brad,
Every time i run some test time on a wing deck mower it blows me away with how much trim time you can save... and time is money.

Flex-Deck
03-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Lastec - I have people that had 54" decks, then put on another 18" side wing, and almost cut mowing and trimming in half. 5 Hrs down to 2 hrs and 40 min. Under trees is great, + way more.

brucec32
03-02-2004, 12:11 AM
As for the Lastec designs, I'm sure they have their place for those mowing HUGE areas of grass. The design looks promising, and is overdue, but I would argue that an equally pressing need is for SMALLER swath mowers that articulate, not just the 89" behemoth's that you could never put on many residential lawns or apartments with broken up patches of grass. A 36" mower with a 18" wing or 18"/36"/18" whatever....those size mowers are what is used on high quality lawns where cut really matters. Someone mowing with 69 or 89 inches is usually mowing fields or commercial acreage I would think. The 52/17 model is in the ballpark, but a size smaller would be nice too. We're not all mowing golf courses, and I would assume that the market for smaller mowers is much higher volume anyway. But if I show up to many properties, even larger ones, with 69" of deck, I might lose all the productivity gains from it if I have to park it and pull out a 36" to handle the areas it won't fit in.

Also, what about the turf tearing problems caused by trying to zero turn all that weight and the momentum you have to overcome to do that? I assume they're heavier.

This mower type is, btw, what Flex deck could have been . Designed into the product from the factory, not an add-on. No deck cutting, no tedious measurements and clearances to worry about, no installation fees, and no worries that it actually will be installed right.

I also notice all the mowers are just computer graphics. Does one even exist? If so, why isn't it on the webpage? Or did I miss it?

brucec32
03-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Exciting design. I've read some more. But complete and detailed specs might also be useful.

I've heard reports of the gateway mower by Great Dane being unbalanced because of the exaggerated overhang. I would want to be sure that's not the case with this mower too.

And yet another brand with an innovative idea but a very sparse dealer network. One distributor in Florida? Hate to buy a mower that becomes orphaned when it comes to parts in the future.

Sorry to be so negative. Just constructive criticism. But yet again I'm seeing an idea that probably needs a large commercial mower company behind it to take wing.

I also have to wonder why the guys at Exmark or Scag or Hustler or John Deere aren't putting out designs like these. Too staid and conservative? Or have they determined they won't work reliably or fit users' needs?

DLCS
03-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by brucec32

I also notice all the mowers are just computer graphics. Does one even exist? If so, why isn't it on the webpage? Or did I miss it?

Here are some pics of the Lastec in this thread. http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61182

chuckwk
03-02-2004, 06:36 AM
http://lawnsite.com/attach/29/14960.jpg
http://lawnsite.com/attach/29/14961.jpg
http://lawnsite.com/attach/29/14962.jpg
http://lawnsite.com/attach/29/14963.jpg

RidgeCon
03-02-2004, 07:05 PM
We have been using a tow behind Lastec Articlulator for the last 4 or 5 years as part of our fleet. Everyone who uses it loves the ability to float over terrain as the area is heavy commercial with uneven ground. We have had great luck with our mower be interested in checking out these new ones.

LASTEC
03-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Exciting design. I've read some more. But complete and detailed specs might also be useful.

I've heard reports of the gateway mower by Great Dane being unbalanced because of the exaggerated overhang. I would want to be sure that's not the case with this mower too.

And yet another brand with an innovative idea but a very sparse dealer network. One distributor in Florida? Hate to buy a mower that becomes orphaned when it comes to parts in the future.

Sorry to be so negative. Just constructive criticism. But yet again I'm seeing an idea that probably needs a large commercial mower company behind it to take wing.

I also have to wonder why the guys at Exmark or Scag or Hustler or John Deere aren't putting out designs like these. Too staid and conservative? Or have they determined they won't work reliably or fit users' needs?

Bruce,
Thanks for your input, it's input like this we learn from. We want to hear cutters needs and concerns. I will try to answers some of your questions.
This is a new line still some final testing being done before release in about 30 to 60 days. We are working on dealer network, if anyone could recommend a dealer we would sure love to hear from you. Feel free to email me. Your right you don't see articulation in the commercial market, but take a look at the golf market, and you'll see Lastec on many of the best courses in the world. you don't see articulation on other commercial mowers the reason for this is that Lastec has several pattens on it.

LASTEC
03-03-2004, 05:33 PM
As for the Lastec designs, I'm sure they have their place for those mowing HUGE areas of grass. The design looks promising, and is overdue, but I would argue that an equally pressing need is for SMALLER swath mowers that articulate, not just the 89" behemoth's that you could never put on many residential lawns or apartments with broken up patches of grass. A 36" mower with a 18" wing or 18"/36"/18" whatever....those size mowers are what is used on high quality lawns where cut really matters. Someone mowing with 69 or 89 inches is usually mowing fields or commercial acreage I would think. The 52/17 model is in the ballpark, but a size smaller would be nice too. We're not all mowing golf courses, and I would assume that the market for smaller mowers is much higher volume anyway. But if I show up to many properties, even larger ones, with 69" of deck, I might lose all the productivity gains from it if I have to park it and pull out a 36" to handle the areas it won't fit in.

Also, what about the turf tearing problems caused by trying to zero turn all that weight and the momentum you have to overcome to do that? I assume they're heavier.

This mower type is, btw, what Flex deck could have been . Designed into the product from the factory, not an add-on. No deck cutting, no tedious measurements and clearances to worry about, no installation fees, and no worries that it actually will be installed right.

Our website is being updated very soon.. the photo shoot has been done and will have real pics up there soon and specs.

jsaunders
03-08-2004, 04:29 PM
A w/b with the attached deck would be great. There are alot of lawns smaller then 1 acre where a 48 or 52 would be nice along with the added 18'' I would checj them out with out a doubt.
"make it and they will come" Joel

BackAcreFarm
03-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I saw a 72 inch Flex Deck at a Deere dealer last week on a 30(+) HP 4X4 front mount mower (1445).
The deck all by itself was $6,400.
The mower with the deck was almost $26,000.
Pretty impressive but out of my price range.