PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Kit ? Doubles? or..?

yz250fpilot
02-29-2004, 11:05 PM
What is everyone's opinion on the best method for mulching? A mulch kit for my Toro 36" wb will run me ~$130. Would running doubles do as good of a job regarding getting the grass clipping size reduced. It would be much cheaper. Can anyone give any input or possibly suggest other alternatives? I have searched this info, but couldn't find a direct "comparison." BTW, I mow 95% bermuda.

Thanks!

Meg-Mo
03-01-2004, 08:25 AM
Check MEG MO system

MOturkey
03-01-2004, 09:38 AM
I'm new on here, and still learning a lot, but I ordered a mulch kit for my Gravely last fall thinking I could use it primarily as a way to get rid of leaves in my own yard, and perhaps use it outside of the peak growing season on customer's yards as well. I ended up returning it, because it was not a simple "add on", but basically a complete refit of the deck, which would require substantial time in the shop to install/remove. I haven't a clue how the Toro WB's are set up, but if it is anything like the Gravely Z's system, you would want to be sure you are going to use the mulching system all the time. Neill

allstar
03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
I have two JD's and a Wright Stander with mulch kits that were installed when I purchased the mowers.They all cut great;leaves virtually disappear and there's little if any cut grass showing(unless it's really thick)when I finish mowing.I read alot of posts from people who recommend "doubles",Meg-Mo blades",etc. to increase the mulching ability.Does this do a better job than the mulch kits installed by Wright and JD?

sildoc
03-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I have the 36" toro with the mulch kit on. I have only used it since january but the little cutting I have don with it is very nice. No clumping as of yet and I have used it on all wet grass. I plan on using some gator magnum high lift mulchers ontop of high lifts as soon as I can find some.
as for the price of the mulch kit I dont know. I had them throw it in with the mower.

imograss
03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
I use doubles with the Quikchute.

DLCS
03-01-2004, 12:27 PM
MOturkey,

I had the same problem with my m,ulch kit for the JD 7iron deck. I could only get mine to work good in the summer in drier grass. If I installed it in the spring, the grass was too wet and lush, I would get clumps everywhere. Putting the thing on was a pita too. I went with the Meg Mo blades towards the end of last summer, they do a much better job of mulching than the JD mulch kits.

LawnPerfect
03-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I am more than happy with the JD mulch kit on my JD 7 iron. I did find that running gators increased mowing speed. The JD mulching blades are great, dont get me wrong. But the gators with the JD mulch kit are just about perfect. In fact if they could sharpen themselves then I would call them perfect.

DLCS
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by lawndoctorllc
I am more than happy with the JD mulch kit on my JD 7 iron. I did find that running gators increased mowing speed. The JD mulching blades are great, dont get me wrong. But the gators with the JD mulch kit are just about perfect. In fact if they could sharpen themselves then I would call them perfect.

Maybe cutting warm season grasses the JD kit does better? But, up here I can't run the JD mulch kit in the spring, grass grows to fast. You have to double cut all the time and you still get clumps.

NickN
03-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Go with the mulch kit.It does just fine in our area with bermuda.

lonnie
03-01-2004, 10:40 PM
I was wondering about the same thing. Do you have the SFS deck. It mulches like crap.