PDA

View Full Version : bush removal

greenback
03-01-2004, 09:47 AM
what do you guys feel is the best way to remove bushes. besides digging them out with a shovel. i have a few small bushes i want to remove. i forget the name of them but the are very close to the ground(about 12 inches high) but are about 3 feet wide, some sort of pine, very stubborn on coming out. i was thinking about renting something but not quite sure what to go for. thanks

mow2nd
03-01-2004, 10:06 AM
Junipers perhaps???

Put a chain around them and pull them out with a tractor or your truck. Or try a pick ax, all depends on the situation

DiscoveryLawn
03-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Greenback
If they are too stubborn to dig out, I hook a chain onto the back of my truck, put it in 4 wheel drive low and pull them out effortlessly. I can pull out 20 year old, 6ft. taxus all day long at about 4 minutes each with myself and another guy.
Don't forget to put down plywood.

greenback
03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by DiscoveryLawn
Greenback
If they are too stubborn to dig out, I hook a chain onto the back of my truck, put it in 4 wheel drive low and pull them out effortlessly. I can pull out 20 year old, 6ft. taxus all day long at about 4 minutes each with myself and another guy.
Don't forget to put down plywood.

yeah i was thinking about just pulling them out with my truck, what is the plywood for???

LawnCrafters
03-01-2004, 10:12 AM
I do the same, I just prefer to use a tow strap instead of a chain.

greenback
03-01-2004, 10:16 AM
i have a bunch of them in a row so i could imagine what the roots are like, probably tangled all together. its hard to explain the bushes but they are spider like. i guess i will go buy some chain and a hook.

DiscoveryLawn
03-01-2004, 10:27 AM
The plywood is to prevent rutting the turf

swim
03-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Ok not the normal answer but one way I have done it when I didn't want to have to drive on a lawn. I use 3 4*4's wrap a chain around them so they are TP like. Then use a come a long to pull them straight up. It also works great for fence posts. All depends on the situation. Its alot slower than a truck but not as messy and much less work than digging them up.

allstar
03-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Another great idea...but when I first saw the post I thought it had something to do with getting rid of the president.

bobbygedd
03-01-2004, 10:52 AM
andora or seargent juniper? mugo pine? sounds small, pluck out with bare gloved hands , like pulling daisies

lawnlubber
03-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I have used a chain and a farm jack (lifts from about 8" to 3' with a 5 ton capacity)

fastlane
03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
For bushes that I can't get with the truck I use a metal sawhorse. 4' long 3' high with flat plates for feet. weights about 150lbs. and a comealong or a 25ton Portapar (hydraulic jack used for autobody work)alittle slow but easy.