PDA

View Full Version : what are the customers biggest concerns?

bobbygedd
03-01-2004, 09:51 AM
this time of year,or within the next month or so, we are all giving alot of estimates to potential clients. some are price shoppers, some are quality seeekers, some have issues on reliability, and yet others are concerned with your company history so they can feel confident you'll be back year after year. in what areas are you seeing the customer is most concerned? as the years go on, are you finding more and more people concerned about certain issues? as a whole, are customers getting more picky? are they using more caution in deciding what company they will commit to?

Huften Lawn Care
03-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Bobby- I think each market has their own concerns.

mow2nd
03-01-2004, 10:00 AM
I think there is no one answer. Every customer is different. I'm still trying to figure out how a customer decides which service to go with when all people do is give Estimates.

Say 3 LCO's come out and look at the yard. All 3 give about the same estimate, Why choose one over the other?

Gene $immons
03-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Good topic. Some customers are an easy sell. Others keep me scratching my head. I don't put any pressure on them to sign up right away. I just try to present the most professional image that I can.

Most customers seem to be price shoppers though. Even the ones in $400,000 houses.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-01-2004, 10:14 AM
price is always a concern
quality and who services the property
i am always on the job not a bunch of kids or R Friends from Mexico

NickN
03-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Man Bobby.You always come up with these posts that make have to think.You know Alabama and thinking don't go together.
Anyway,from my limited experience,it appears homeowners differ from one neighborhood to the next.Like the "birds of a feather" saying.Some neighborhoods,the homeowner is interested in nothing but price and it shows.Shrubs aren't maintained,what has been trimmed is done incorrectly.Give em a price and they can't believe it.They get the deer in the headlights look.These are usually younger folks who have moved into nice neighborhoods and are just keeping up the appearance.
Now go over to another neighborhood and price is not issue,but quality is.Gotta customer who signed up for a fair price mowing and wants a French drain installed.Has no problem with the price,but wants me to come over and tell him exactly what I'm going to do.He's more interested in the quality of the work.He lives in a neighborhood where the folks are right at retirement age.
Both want reliabilty.However,the "cheapos" have a very hard time finding someone reliable.But,they'll make do cause those "Beemer" payments come first.

Acute Cut
03-01-2004, 10:56 AM
You know, i would have answered differently a few years ago. After 9\11 i really felt the market change. Every customer now is looking at the bottom dollar because i feel they are afraid for thier jobs. We had three major plants shut down in our area after 9\11 and our economy took a bat to the ol knees. We are recovering, but it was hard. Now with news about terrorism every day i think people are hording a bit of money "just in case".

Price shoppers are always a bane of course. Smart business dictates that you should look around though. We do it for trailers, cars, trucks and maybe even mowers. Once you find a good dealer then price is not the issue any more. SO, price is a factor when they are looking.

A customer will tell you what "issues" they have if you just dont talk too much. "I had so and so and they just ripped up my grass" or "that other company used them big mowers and left ruts, do you use them big mowers?" Want to guess what the right thing to say to get these bids are? I have seen many people make this mistake. I could go on, but i talk too much i think as it is.:)

Lux Lawn
03-01-2004, 11:33 AM
For a lot of customers I think it come down to overall price some will not care if you cost a little more and some will not even think about it.

Reputation-If you are well known in the area you are working in then your building your reputation just by showing up every week.People see you and they might say to themselves "wow that company shows up every week on the same day at almost the same time".

Acute- Good point let the customer tell you why they got rid of the last company and focus on that area they complain about and they will let you know in a couple months how good of a job you are doing.

swim
03-01-2004, 11:50 AM
In my experience people who are new to having a LC are looking for the lowest bid. So-n-so who has had some experience with how the lowest guys quality and reliability are looking for dependabilty more than anything else. If you don't show up what difference does it make what it looks like, it will be a foot tall. Some do want referals but very few have ever asked me for one. Alot of them want to know that I am insured and one time had so-n-so aske me to sign a waver that if I got hurt on their property I wouldn't sue them.

I'm starting to wander on in my experience the most important thing in the beginning is cost but in the long haul dependability is what keeps them comming back to me.

lawnlubber
03-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Many of my clients signed up because I took 5 minutes to chat with them. Many are retired and lonely and are probably paying as much for the personal contact as the lawn service. My grandma was this way. She didn't like tv, she would just sit by the window waiting for someone to drive in.

precisioncut
03-01-2004, 12:50 PM
I think the price is the biggest concern I have run into. I think the next is professionalism. If you show that you care about thier property, them, yourself(apperance), and your business you will sell to many.