PDA

View Full Version : Troy built mower

MikeMaupin
03-01-2004, 09:08 AM
I have got a chance to buy a Troybuilt mower 33" briggs 9 hp walk behind mower for 800. I know what most may say and I must agree junk compared to a real WB, but I have a limited amount of money left that I can spend out right. I have got my trailer and bought a Snapper 21" commercial grade mower.It seems like a steal and I still plan on getting a real WB but I thought maybe this could help me be more productive and build more of a customer base while spending less this year, and lay away a 48 belt WB to have ready for next year.Should I take it and would it be good for being more productive and building my customer base while paying on the real WB for next year.The regular price is 1399 and its 800 now, all new and un used.Thanks

metro-hp_48
03-01-2004, 09:20 AM
I would buy a good used walkbehind for 800.00. Alot of good one's out there.

NickN
03-01-2004, 09:38 AM
How large are the lots you're targeting?
How many accounts do you have now?
It's certainly "doable" if you can recoup the cost of the mower AND make enough money to set aside so you can pay cash for larger commercial walk-behind.
However if your lots are larger ones,that 33" is going to work you to death.It'll be a great asset in the future for getting in gates though.
Don't forget to look in the clasifieds for used equiment.Also,check with your local dealer for a "refurbished" walk behind that may be alittle old,but they've somewhat restored.They get equipment from folks who "thought" they wanted to get into lawncare,only to sell out their equipment at the end of the season.
Buy cash whenever possible if you're just starting out.
Just my .02.....

odin
03-01-2004, 12:12 PM
if you have heavy mowing to do besides the things s mentioned by nickN...that machine aint gonna hold up to the rigors .

Rhett
03-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Check around for used commercial. For the eight hundred bucks you can find a good 36 inch belt that will take you thru this season and next season. Heck my mechanic has a 36 toro just repowered 14 kaw for 600. If the troy built has not improved since I had the misfortune of using one I believe you will be sorry.

honda
03-02-2004, 07:47 PM
if this is true troy bilt and not mtd built be careful. for parts are very limited for they are no longer in business. mtd bought them out a few years back and do supply some parts but not all. the vendors destroyed the parts molds and it is not worth the re-tooling to make them . be very careful about parts for the unit

ed2hess
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
We used a Troy for two years mowing residential. Even though the unit did a good job compared to our 21" I think I wouldn't suggest getting the unit. Buy a 32" Scag or Toro if you got gate width problems. The Troy doesn't have lock differential so on hills you have to put torque on unit to keep it straight. It can wear you out. The deck is fragile and you have to watch or if you hit against something it will give in and blades will hit on inside. The pulleys are plastic and they wore a lot. We also had trouble with one of the belts and had to get shorter belt to keep unit working.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-03-2004, 06:56 AM
very tiring to use........it does not turn itself......it turns with people power not HP.......

Derek

polecat63
03-03-2004, 07:04 AM
It's a good little machine for what it is. I had one for awhile and used it for smaller residentials. It held up great until I had to hire employees. Within 6 months of letting someone else use the mower it was trashed. Just ain't tough enough. Bought my last used Toro 44 for $800. That was 4 years ago and I still use it.

The Lawn Boy Pro
03-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by odin
if you have heavy mowing to do besides the things s mentioned by nickN...that machine aint gonna hold up to the rigors . Does it even qualify for a machine? or just a tonka toy?:rolleyes: Honestly, the wheels on them things are horrible for casters. saw a lady once a few houses down form one of my accounts, and every time she had to turn around, she had to man-handle the thing. I dont think they're worth the money, and they DEFINETLY are not built for commercial use. Maybe try one of the new billy goat 33" mowers if youre looking for something lower in cost? Heres a link and a pic: http://www.billy-goat.com/frame_mowing_line.html

DLCS
03-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I have a Cub Cadet 33" which is the same as a Troy Built. I have used it since 2000 and will be using it this year. I only use it for a few small residentials but it has held up nicely. The only repair is the key switch for the electric start has gone bad thats all. No, its not a commercial mower but it does leave a nice cut and mulches leaves excellent, leaves a stripe. Would I buy one if I had employees nope, would not last. Yes, it has manual steering and can get tiring if used all day but by no means is it hard to turn.

Lawn Dog2001
03-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Thats not a bad price for that machine. I wouldnt pay any higher for one though. THe TB is not a bad machine, but its not a commercial machine by any stretch of the imagination. I had two, and both served their purpose. I liked the cut they left alot, but I just got fed up with fixing them. Mine gave me some downtime, but that being said I dont regret buying them. If you dont have a lot of yards yet, then the TB33 should be a good enough machine to use untill you can afford a new commercial.

Fareway Lawncare
03-03-2004, 12:42 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2382551488&category=50377

TXLAWNBOY
03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
For the machine it's a good price. I have the Cub Cadet also and am going into the second year of use w/it. It DOES NOT mow heavy stuff very well at all, but if the prop. you at takeing care of are visited on a reg. basis the machine will leave a nice cut and mulch well. I agree w/DLCS if I employees when I bought it I would not have bought it.

mbricker
03-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Everything you guys say about the Troy-bilt/Cub Cadet 33" wb is true--not commercial duty, employees will tear it up, have to turn it or hold across a hill by muscle-power.

But if you have a lot of small lawns and they are different types of grass--i.e. Bermuda, Fescue, Zoysia, etc. that need different cutting heights, the Troy-bilt has a hand crank to raise and lower the cutting height. It's on the back of the frame where you can reach it from the handlebars, and can even be adjusted on the fly.
That to me is the TB's big strong point. Keep the screw attached to the crank clean and lubed.

$800 for a new one is great. I just bought a used one with estimated 60 hours for $650.

By the way, that bit about MTD buying the Troybilt name but destroying the tooling for the 33"? Not true, as far as I know. I just got a Troybilt catalog in the mail a couple of weeks ago, the 33" is still listed. The last new one I bought, last July, says MTD on the labels. Last parts I bought, blade spindles, came in MTD packaging, and were made different, but fit the spindle housings.

If you don't have a dealer in your area, Troybilt is famous for selling direct to consumers. (Or infamous, to your local equipment dealers)

protouchlawn
03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
I bought a new one last year for a part-time helper's use. I had trouble with the shift linkage from day one. It was put in the corner and it sits there today, quickly replaced by another JD GS-30. I would stay away from them.

Lawnboy5
03-03-2004, 07:59 PM
That mower is junk. I used to have one many years ago when they just came out and I know they have not changed it that much. It leaves alot of grass uncut. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

brucec32
04-27-2004, 12:06 AM
It's a shame that nobody builds machines that bridge the gap between 21" mowers and 32" full length full size wb's. Or at least one that works well and lasts.

Fareway Lawncare
04-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Bruce32, Toro will have a 26" Proline Shortly!

dishboy
04-27-2004, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Bruce32, Toro will have a 26" Proline Shortly!

Fareway do you have any details or a picture?

Tom