PDA

View Full Version : Sod Installations

SIRCAESAR
03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey guys, I am looking to have sod installed in my backyard.. I have close to an acre i need installed.. I do lawn care, but have never tackled any sod installs, should i Just hire someone do this.. or shoud I just pick up some sod from home depot or a nursery and ask you guys to show me how to lay it?

ipm
03-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Check your pm.......................................

mow2nd
03-01-2004, 10:22 AM
sod is expensive.............if it is your yard, why not just aerate and seed?

Lombardi
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
If you can afford it, go with the sod. It is very simple to install. Just roll it out and butt the ends together. No need to overlap. Sod will expand when it is watered and begins to take root. During the first week keep the soil beneath it completely soaked. It is hard to over water at this time. In about 3 weeks it should be established and you can reduce the watering.

rmartin
03-01-2004, 12:06 PM
when you average out the prices for sod VS. the seed and fertilizer you will need to start the project along with the instant yard you gain over the wait and see and reseed your bare spots i think sodding is the best route. plus it is so easy.....just rent a sod cutter..cut your area where you are going to install the new grass, throw it away, rake it up a little and resod....3 weeks and your cutting...just keep it watered

little green guy
03-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Do it yourself it's not too hard. If you have guys that work for you cutting have them help you out on a sat/sun. The one thing to make sure you do is after you get the sod on site start laying it right away and don't let it sit and bake in the sun. It should be layed as the same day it's cut and if you have to let it sit for a day or so keep it watered.