PDA

View Full Version : Why businesses succeed

billc
03-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks for all the great posts on "Why businesses fail."

Now for the flip side - as someone starting up I need to know "Why businesses SUCCEED!"

OTOH, these businesses don't do the things that cause failure - too much debt, taking on unprofitable jobs, too big, too soon, etc.

But, other than avoiding these, what do you do to promote success?

Thanks!!

maelawncare
03-01-2004, 09:54 AM
They have a huge amount of startup cash. And never have to repay it.

Acute Cut
03-01-2004, 10:26 AM
You know, i hate the "too big too fast" thing. I am trying to go bigger this year and i keep hearing that. Our season is just on the verge of getting started. Its like telling a train not to go too fast and it hasnt even left the terminal yet. lol

anyone ever grown too big too fast?

CNYScapes
03-01-2004, 10:42 AM
#1 is QUALITY, #2 is ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE. They cant call you if they dont know you exist!! #3 is be prepared for the work that will come in. I know that its very easy to become overwhelmed with phone calls in the spring.

lawnlubber
03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Treat everybody right. Whether it's Uncle Sam, your employee,your client, your spouse or yourself, make sure everyone gets treated right, promises are kept and bills are paid. If you are new you will probably have to work harder, and charge more for your work, than you imagined possible in order to do this.

Team Gopher
03-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi Bill,

Did you ever read this book?

"The E-Myth Contractor : Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber (Author)"

walker-talker
03-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Systems, goal setting and planning.

mtdman
03-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Team Gopher
Hi Bill,

"The E-Myth Contractor : Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber (Author)"

Listen to Gopher. They know of what they speak, and those E-myth books are great!

:D

billc
03-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Team Gopher
Hi Bill,

I'm waiting for this and "The E-Myth" from amazon.com.

I'm a reader - any other book recommendations?

MacLawnCo
03-01-2004, 11:59 PM
literally any marketing book you can get your hands on. Sales books are good too. Live near a college? go there at the end of the semester and buy the books back with a couple cases... id recomend a few accounting and marketing, if you can stay awake through them.

AMAC
03-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Think business 24/7 and never take your eye off the ball. Keep reinvesting your $$$ in equipment and advertising untill you reach your goal.

bastalker
03-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Acute Cut
You know, i hate the "too big too fast" thing. I am trying to go bigger this year and i keep hearing that. Our season is just on the verge of getting started. Its like telling a train not to go too fast and it hasnt even left the terminal yet. lol

Pick up 60 accounts in a few months an see what happens.......Yes I grew to big to fast.....I was scrambling to try an cover all the work. Hired several guys to help, then they quit, call in sick, mother died etc... I was overwhelmed!!

Its tough trying to make schedules for crews that decide they want to take the day off. I found myself burnin out fast tryin to cover the schedule.

I have since downsized. Picked up high end residentials, an doin most of the work myself. It's easier to maintain things this way.

There are the few exceptions, though I havent found them. Guys would apply an say"I will bust my a$$ for you. When crunch time came, the only thing that got busted was my a$$.......

lawnman_scott
03-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Acute Cut

Yeah i know a guy that did that. It was great at first, and I was kind of jealous. I was wondering what I was doing wrong. I bought some of his stuff a few years ago when he had a job he couldnt turn down. Why couldnt he turn it down? Maybe he grew too fast?

MOW ED
03-02-2004, 06:48 AM
I am not giving all my secrets but I will tell you that the biggest reason my business succeeds is that my wife supports me. I personally know that without her helping out not only in the field but at home with the billing and office work, I would probably say the heck with it.
Motivation is the reason that we both continue to succeed. We are motivated to do well for many reasons. The money we make goes to help the family and the satisfaction we get is from doing a good job and seeing the results.
On top of that she also does many other jobs that are indirectly related to the business success. Of course there are other reasons but it sure helps me tremendously.

ALIMAR LAWNS
03-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Get the book"GOALS" by Brian Tracy. Also,The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber

Turf Medic
03-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Learn to sell!! Never stop learning!!

For those of you that don't like to read, or are short of time, use educational tapes, you can pick a lot of them up on ebay.

One website that has a broad list of excellent tapes is
http://www.nightingale.com/twww_main.asp?WCU=29AC029CC4FBF111E3

However if you find one that interests you, check out ebay, sometimes less than half price.

GarPA
03-03-2004, 04:04 AM
"Drive a tCar and 16 Other Ways to Small Bus Success:

author Ralp Warner...Amazon has it.

Might be the best little book on small biz I;ve read...mostly down toearth advice...most of his recommendations fit me to a tee

no fancy flavor of the month theories.. highly recommend it

rodfather
03-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Your business has to provide some fun and enjoyment to you in some way. Whether you like the exercise, being outdoors, or operating the equipment, it has to be more than just money. If not, you'll find yourself in a rut real quick...and a rut is nothing more than a grave with 2 open ends.

Danimal
03-03-2004, 08:37 AM
How to win freinds and influence people is a great book and 7 habits of highly succesful people.

Acute Cut
03-03-2004, 10:16 AM
Danimal:
I agree whole heartedly. My life was changed by the how to win friends book. I like to re-read it every few years. It always helps.

Doster's L & L
03-03-2004, 10:31 AM
I've heard alot of good things about How To Win Friends.... book. I look forward to reading it myself. I'm not big on reading, but Marty Grunder has a book called 9 Super Simple Steps to Entrepreneurial Success. I have read this book and it has helped out alot for me in my efforts to expand.

65hoss
03-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by rodfather
Your business has to provide some fun and enjoyment to you in some way. Whether you like the exercise, being outdoors, or operating the equipment, it has to be more than just money. If not, you'll find yourself in a rut real quick...and a rut is nothing more than a grave with 2 open ends.

I agree.

Also add that one of the biggest make it or break it things that I've seen with so many is...
Focus-Focus-Focus

Great focus will grow a business
Lack of focus will grow it into the ground.

Rook00
03-03-2004, 11:03 AM
PRAY!

There might be many religions represented on this site, but if I'm honest with myself, this is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN MY SUCCESS.

This praying isn't just to some god that might be up there. I pray to the One and Only, God the Father. Only through Christ's death on the cross for my sins can I have a relationship with God, but once you come to faith in Christ, you can approach the throne of grace with confidence (pray with confidence).

Not wanting to offend anybody, but this is my honest reason for success. Also, many biblical principles deal with business and finances. Look 'em up.

Let it Grow
03-03-2004, 01:16 PM
I agree God is the reason for my success. Also the fact that I have a passion for what I do...I love it. That is what keeps me going. Now there is much more to business success, but in the end those two reasons are why my business is a success.

GarPA
03-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I;ve said a similar thing about the need to like/love what we do...I tell this to people in my area who think of getting in this biz that they had better LOVE mother nature, changes in weather, independence, etc in order to get past those 80 hour weeks and when you walk in the door and collapse on the sofa. But just like the golf course saying, "a bad day in the landscape is better than a good day in corporate America."...hands down

But then my passion is what I do...just wish I had done it much earlier in life..I;ve never worked harder in my life, nor have I been any happier...and you cant put a dollar value on happy..jmo

bobbygedd
03-03-2004, 06:18 PM
yea gar, tried that phsycology on my wife last time i lost a bundle at the track.she said, "you lost how much?" i said, "come on sugar plums, you can't put a price on a good time...." reason i think businesses succeed, well, bruce lee said it correct, "if one wishes to succeed, he must be willing to sweat, sacrifice, and suffer."