PDA

View Full Version : Quick Lesson Learned

Expert Lawns
03-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I started a thread awhile ago about weed control, fertilzer, and pesticides and licensing for them. I Know there's a lot of talk here about it and some people don't know the facts.

Well, I wanted to spray round-up in cracks, and mulched areas (weed control) for customers. Some said it was ok if I used it sparsley or watered it down.

Today I received a call from the department of agriculture. Talked with a guy from their office that said he received a fax of my advertisement. He asked about the "weed control" I planned to perform. He told me it WAS illegal. Even though round-up is sold at k-mart and anyone can buy it, I must have a license if I do it for hire or on anyone else's property but my own. He is sending me a stop order on my advertisements. No trouble right now, but if I am caught doing it, it's a $1,000 fine. Not worth it for me.

I feel embarrassed. Even though I sought out the help of lawnsite, it still wasn't clear to me. I didn't take the proper steps to make 100% sure that it was ok for me to provide this service. Lesson learned I guess.

By the way, I find it weird that a Convelescent Home would fax my advertisement to the department of agriculture. I guess they do have a lot of worries and a lot of things to worry about. But man, how embarrassing.

mow2nd
03-01-2004, 03:31 PM
so you dont have a pesticide licence??

You gotta get one before you do any kind of spraying. Even some fertilizers require a license.

you should have asked the guy when is the next class and test. You dont even have to take to class, but if you are not familiar with chemicals you should, then the next day they have a class.

good luck

walker-talker
03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
This one thing I learned while study for my exam last year.....you can't even advertise it if you don't have your certification and business license........Can't even put it on you estimate form.

Expert Lawns
03-01-2004, 06:11 PM
You guys are right. I can't advertise, but I can bid for the job. As long as the customer knows that I am subbing it out. It is my duty to inform them right up front that I personally will not be doing the work. Sounds weird to me that I can't advertise, but I can bid on jobs. Those are the words he used.

Mow2nd, here in Michigan you have to work under someone for 2 years before you can get licensed. I don't have the time to do that. At the time, I thought it was legal to spray round-up, that is all I wanted to do. Not full fert apps.

mow2nd
03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
wow, I didnt know that. Here in NC anybody can get a license, all you gotta do is take 1 day class and a test. Then keep up with your credits each year by taking classes which are usually held at a dealer.................always some free food...........yummy

well good luck man

Turf Medic
03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
In some states you can't recommend a treatment or bid a job that you are going to sub out unless you are licensed. ie having one of the guys run out and measure a property so you can submit a bid

2 man crew
03-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns

Mow2nd, here in Michigan you have to work under someone for 2 years before you can get licensed.

Is this true? I wish that was the case in Minnesota.

Expert Lawns
03-01-2004, 09:08 PM
What are the qualifications in Minnesota?

Ric
03-02-2004, 06:44 AM
What are the qualifications in Minnesota?

Look at the top of this forum, First post that is locked at the TOP.

^READ ME::Licensing In all States!!

Expert Lawns
03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
too much reading. i'll let him post it in a few sentences or less

2 man crew
03-02-2004, 02:26 PM
2 part test for categories A and E turf and ornamentals. 200 questions total. Pay the license fee and show proof of insurance. For applying fertilizer it's just a fee that covers the company. no test.

Scraper
03-02-2004, 03:10 PM

That's why you got into your predicament in the first place. Always trying to find the easy way out, are we?

Expert Lawns
03-02-2004, 05:04 PM
nope, just trying to get some last minute studying done before my midterm exam. but thank you for your narrow mindedness.

he summed it up in less than 5 sentences. thank you 2 man crew.

bobbygedd
03-02-2004, 07:11 PM
you should have advertised "fertilization". when the guy called, you should have told him "weed control" meant manually.

Expert Lawns
03-03-2004, 05:01 PM
good point bobby. where were ya 5 days ago?

bobbygedd
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
i was sitting right here, in my underwear, drinking beer and eating pretzyls. all ya had to do was ask. i was investigated years ago, they showed up at my house and demanded to see my client list, storage area, and proceeded to interigate me. i wasn't licensed. i was scared sh!t, but i was still as smooooth as tennessee whisky. i could have charmed the pants off a nun that day. talked my way out of it, and got my license shortly after. my lawyer gave me some very sound advice: BOB, i can't keep looking for loopholes everytime you do something stupid. the best way to stay out of trouble, don't do anything wrong!

2 man crew
03-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Bobby,
Do you know why you were investigated? Did the Dept. of Ag see you applying chemicals? Or did a lco turn you in? It probably sucked for you, but I would like to hear more cases of non licensed individuals getting harassed or fined.

bobbygedd
03-03-2004, 05:42 PM
i got into an argument with some guy who knew what i was doing. he called the d.e.p and reported me. in his complaint he stated " he has a pallet of mach 2 in his garage,the roof leaks, the bags are wet and broken open, and the stuff is all over the place"(of course an outright lie),i actually used this in my defense, saying , "well, where's the mach 2? you can clearly see the guy was lying...." i explained to the state guy that i had an argument with an employee, and this was his way of getting even. what they do is try to scare you into confessing. they say that if you admit it right now, they'll write you an $800 fine. if you lie, and they proceed with an investigation, if they finally do catch you, they will fine you $3000 per day, per application that you applied illegally. example: if they start the investigation on march 3rd, and finnally on the 13th they have enough to get you, that's 3 grand per day=$30,000, per application. say they find out you did 10 applications, your fine is $300,000.

Expert Lawns
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I just went back and looked at my advertisements. All it says is "weed control in paved and mulched areas". Looks like I get to call the Dept of Agriculture and tell them it is manual pulling of weeds. In no way did I insinuate that I was spraying chemicals.

Bobby, I found a "loophole". Thanks for your post.

tremor
03-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Instead of looking for "loop holes". How about getting licensed?

Ric
03-04-2004, 09:23 AM

Tremor

Getting a license requires TOO MUCH READING. It much easier to just let someone else do all the work so I can just collect the money. After all the world owes me a living.

Yes I am getting very disenchanted with the attitudes on these forums. Therefore my attitude is not the best. I apologize to the intelligent members here, All 5 of them.

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 11:49 AM
apology accepted ric, but who are the other 4?

Expert Lawns
03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by tremor
Instead of looking for "loop holes". How about getting licensed?

because I dont' have two years to spend working under someone else. not going through the hassle just so I can spray some roundup. I'll sub it out. I have no interest in fertilizing, and if you read my posts you would have realized this.

Expert Lawns
03-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Tremor, I am a full time college student who runs a solo LCO. I have never advertised for fert. I have no interest in doing fert. Why would I spend 2 years working for someone else to get licensed for something I have no plans on doing? I was confused about the roundup issue. Didn't know I needed a license for that. I have someone I sub my fert and weed and feed to. Case Closed.

I think you need to pay more attention to the posts before you go off like that. I simply asked someone from Minnesota what the laws were there, for conversation sake. Why would I, a person from Michigan, read a bunch of literature on Minnesota laws? I have better things to do. And if you think I'm letting "someone else do all the work" then I feel that you have a horrible outlook on work ethics. When I sub my fert, it is to a licensed dependable partner company. He got licensed, he DESERVES the work. If I make a dollor or two off it, great, but Im not "collecting" the money. He is. That is why he got into the fert business. I think your post was uncalled for and pretty much made no sense when you consider the facts.

GrassBlaster
03-04-2004, 05:17 PM
In North Carolina, I can put down granular fert, but it cannot contain any herbicide or pesticide. It must be a straight fert. I'm working on my pesticide license though...luckily, we don't have to have two years under someone else

Expert Lawns
03-04-2004, 08:55 PM
GrassBlaster - we can do straight fert here without a license. just no pesticides or other chemicals

PR Fect
03-04-2004, 11:29 PM
OK, here is what I think the problem is and no one is saying so. No one needs a license to put down pesticides! Thats right, anybody, don't even have to be 18 years of age, can buy and apply herbicides. They can even buy so called "commercial pesticides" and apply them according to the label and they are not breaking the law. In some cases it does not even have to be turf that they own. Can be a neighbor or a friends lawn! Thats right, no regulation other than the product label. Now if they get paid to apply the herbicides, thats a nother story. Anyone for hire must have a license in any state. And there are strict guide lines and in some states a big fee that go with that license. I'm all for the licince. The problem is the not for hire applicator including johnny home owner. When will they be stopped? Even in this months GROUNDS magazine a guy from New York writes in "finding answers" will there be limitations on commercial pesticides that we use? Karen writes him back and say's everyone needs to be certified. Well Karen is wrong, only those of us trying to make a living at it do!

Expert Lawns
03-04-2004, 11:42 PM
I told the guy from the Dept of Agriculture that I did it once for an old lady at her house. I was mowing and she stopped me and said "Can you spray some of this in the cracks of my driveway, I have a bad back". I received no pay, just a nice gesture. The Dept of Agriculture said that was still illegal. Now, if 12 year old JOhnny down the road was walking by and she asked him, do you think Johnny would be breaking the law or just being a nice kid?

I'll leave all fert, weed n feed etc to the licensed professionals. I know there are a few things I could do legally, but why risk it I guess. I'll stick to mowing.

mtdman
03-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Tremor, I am a full time college student who runs a solo LCO. I have never advertised for fert. I have no interest in doing fert. Why would I spend 2 years working for someone else to get licensed for something I have no plans on doing? I was confused about the roundup issue. Didn't know I needed a license for that. I have someone I sub my fert and weed and feed to. Case Closed.

I think you need to pay more attention to the posts before you go off like that. I simply asked someone from Minnesota what the laws were there, for conversation sake. Why would I, a person from Michigan, read a bunch of literature on Minnesota laws? I have better things to do. And if you think I'm letting "someone else do all the work" then I feel that you have a horrible outlook on work ethics. When I sub my fert, it is to a licensed dependable partner company. He got licensed, he DESERVES the work. If I make a dollor or two off it, great, but Im not "collecting" the money. He is. That is why he got into the fert business. I think your post was uncalled for and pretty much made no sense when you consider the facts.

I'm with Expert here. He just asked a guy from Minnesota to sum up the laws there. Being a fellow Michigan LCO, why the hell do we need to read Minnesota's laws?

Besides which, becoming a licensed business in Michigan requires that you have either 2 years of experience or a turfgrass degree from MSU. After you get a personal certificate. Which means he'd have to shut down his LCO, go work for someone else for 2 years, and then come back and open his LCO again. For this very same reason, I am not interested in getting a license either. And I sub out my ferts and apps as well starting this year. Your going to tell me I'm lazy and looking for an easy way out as well?

I too am getting disenchanted with the attitudes on Lawn Site. But my disenchantment is with the butt holes who think they know all the answers and like to pass judgement on another LCO in another state, who knows nothing about the conditions of doing business there. I guess that some LCOs here know it all and get to tell everyone else here what we are doing wrong??

:rolleyes:

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 01:05 PM
For hire dosent mean you get paid for it, so your wrong and your giving bad advise.

You can do it for free and your still hired by that cusotmer and you do need a licence.

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 01:09 PM
In Mass if your driving a commerical vechile and your transporting lawn chemicals and a spreader you need a app licence.

Ive been lucky enough to be pulled over by state DEP, and had a warehouse inspection few years back, The guy was nice and it gave me a chance to ask some questions, They also asked if they could ride with me for a day while I did treatments...I declined that :0

There was a local landscaper that sold high price mowing but told the customer they get fert & Squirt for free, Cause he thought because he's not getting paid for the lawn treatments he could do this with out a licence.....well he was wrong, and got fined.

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 01:25 PM
I just went back and looked at my advertisements. All it says is "weed control in paved and mulched areas". Looks like I get to call the Dept of Agriculture and tell them it is manual pulling of weeds. In no way did I insinuate that I was spraying chemicals.

Bobby, I found a "loophole". Thanks for your post.

But you said in your first post you would spray round up.....SO now your gonna lie to the dept of ag, I guess you havent learned a lesson have you?

I think you should post the names of the people that told you it was okay to spray round up without a licence. Thats just bad advise, maybe I m one of the butt holes MTD man refers to, but this board is not just for people that agree,

Expert Lawns
03-05-2004, 01:40 PM
well said MTD. It's hard sometimes to express how you feel and explain what you mean when you have to type it. I think you did a good job.

James Courmier, when I said "loophole" I was simply quoting bobbygedd. I was being fasecious. I used that word because he used it. It's called association. Nevertheless, I do not and will not be doing any roundup, so I think it is safe for you to stop worrying about it. If you think I should name off the people that told me it's ok to do roundup, then I think you should do some investigating, not me. I feel that is irrelevant.

If you notice the Title on this Thread it is "Quick Lesson Learned". Collect the facts before you try to belittle me by saying "didn't learn your lesson did you". After all it was the whole purpose of this thread.

Expert Lawns
03-05-2004, 01:47 PM
Also, I can't believe that by reading my first thread, you couldnt' pick up on the sincerity of my choice to not do any roundup. I firmly expressed how embarrased I was. I admitted guilt and took direct action to fix it. Now for you to type the things you have is a bit uncalled for. I shared an experience: some may learn from it, and by the title of thread, you should know that I have.
Thank you to the people who posted on this thread with the intent to benefit others. For those of you who just nitpick and try to push buttons, I guess I've learned to ignore it. You have crossed the boundry between expressing your opinion and badgering others.

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Ah "Tounge in cheek" right well It's hard sometimes to express how you feel and explain what you mean when you have to type it.
I thought you where going to do that, talk about belittling someone, "the ad never said spray I plan to pull them" but now i understand you where just joking with us....

If its irrelevent then why start the post?

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 02:30 PM
Alright I went back an read your first post, what i got from that is you where unhappy with the advise you got from people in this board, IT lead to a embarssing moment, an you claimed to learn a lesson from it.

You really didnt ask any questions you just made some statements, now people are responding to your statements, giving more bad advise ( PR FEct ) and some of those statements dont jive with you and now your being badgered? Come on, Thats the sillyest thing I ve ever heard.

BTW my first two post on this message was towards PR FEct 's advise to all that reads this post,
ANd if I saw your first post where you got the bad advise on spraying round up I would have advised you not to do it, and to contact your local state dept to answer any questions and ignore the idiots that are telling you to do it

ANd if I did do that I would have been branded a "know it all" by people like MTD who want us all to just get along and agree.

Expert Lawns
03-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Courmier, you are entitled to your opinion. Some people see my point (MTD). You obviously don't. You have this cocky arrogant attitude. I realize we agree to disagree. The post was telling a story. A story about how I learned something. Simply sharing it. YOU had to go and tear it apart. But hey, whatever gets ya goin.

Just because MTD agreed with me and understood the thread, dont' back into your corner and get defensive. Everything stated in my first post was positive and had a point. Some got it, some didn't, but some could stay positive, and some just didn't respond. You're a grown up, act like it.

bobbygedd
03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
my advice is don't do it. my advice is also, NEVER ADMIT IT IF YOU DO IT, AND YOU ARE ASKED. glad you learned your lesson, my advice still stands on the advertisement, just swear what you meant by "weed control", was hand pulling of weeds.

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Courmier, you are entitled to your opinion. Some people see my point (MTD). You obviously don't. You have this cocky arrogant attitude. I realize we agree to disagree. The post was telling a story. A story about how I learned something. Simply sharing it. YOU had to go and tear it apart. But hey, whatever gets ya goin.

Just because MTD agreed with me and understood the thread, dont' back into your corner and get defensive. Everything stated in my first post was positive and had a point. Some got it, some didn't, but some could stay positive, and some just didn't respond. You're a grown up, act like it.

Wow, are you badgering me? thats pretty offensive, I only pointed out that it wasnt right to lie to the dep...

oh yeh, you where only joking.

I hope MTD comes to my side with such a personal attack on me

Expert Lawns
03-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Bobby, at the time I made the ads, I thought I could legally use the roundup. I recently found I can't. After reading the ad again, I realized that the persons reading it insinuated that I meant spraying something when I said "treated". If anyone asks, yes, I can say I meant manually pulling the weeds. I have changed my ads and I have found someone to do the fert/weednfeeds. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but there is a defense to negligence called "mistake". Yes, mistake is a legal word and has beeen used many times. I asked my law professor about this situation and he said no legal action can be taken on me. So I guess I got lucky in a way, as many of us probably have in the past. Leason learned. I will wipe my brow and move on.

PR Fect
03-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Cormier, you missed my point compleatly. And no, I was was not wrong. If you are not receiving some type of pay, you are not for hire. I was not giving anyone advice on applying herbicides. I was only trying to make the point that those of us that make a living at lawn care for hire are the only ones that the government can and does regulate. Home owners, Farmers, the guy next door, or friends are not. It may be in your state, but not under federal or Wisconsin law. If you do it for a "customer" you are getting financial gain if you bill them or not. But I'm telling you the guy that lives next to me can come over and spray on my property with a so called commercial pesticide and does not have to have a license.

mtdman
03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier
I hope MTD comes to my side with such a personal attack on me

Nope. The difference between you and Expert is that I can constructively converse with Expert, and you are just a argumentative jerk.

It's one thing to disagree, although I'm not sure how you disagree with a personal story, it's another to wrongly jump on a member and tell them they are lazy and worthless because they didn't want to take time to read the laws of another state that doesn't apply to them. You can disagree all you want. When you come off like an arrogant jerk that just slams people instead of taking time to understand the situation, I have a problem.

And in general, I just disagree with James Cormier out of principle.

And please don't assume or improperly place motives on my actions, JC.

:D :D

Expert Lawns
03-05-2004, 07:21 PM
That was a good post MTD, well said.
I think the redundancy is getting to me. If he doesn't understand, then he doesn't understand. I hate having to put disclaimers at the end of all my posts (like you did). As you said, I enjoy constructively conversing with people here on lawnsite. I had to divert my engery into something negative to get my point across. I don't like doing that.

It's friday night and I have a long weekend ahead of me. MTD, is the weather down there as nice as it is up here?

mtdman
03-05-2004, 07:29 PM

It's friday night and I have a long weekend ahead of me. MTD, is the weather down there as nice as it is up here?
It was warm but windy today! Supposed to get colder this weekend. I actually have work to do tomorrow, hope it's not too cold. Did you go to the show in Novi?

timturf
03-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Ric,

QUOTE from Ric, "Yes I am getting very disenchanted with the attitudes on these forums. Therefore my attitude is not the best. I apologize to the intelligent members here, All 5 of them"

I agree, but bobbygedd and I want to know the other 4 intelligent members?

Expert Lawns
03-06-2004, 05:48 PM
windy as heck here today too. no, i didn't make it down to the show, i wanted to but had class.

James Cormier
03-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by mtdman
Nope. The difference between you and Expert is that I can constructively converse with Expert, and you are just a argumentative jerk.

It's one thing to disagree, although I'm not sure how you disagree with a personal story, it's another to wrongly jump on a member and tell them they are lazy and worthless because they didn't want to take time to read the laws of another state that doesn't apply to them. You can disagree all you want. When you come off like an arrogant jerk that just slams people instead of taking time to understand the situation, I have a problem.

And in general, I just disagree with James Cormier out of principle.

And please don't assume or improperly place motives on my actions, JC.

:D :D

MTD, I think you should go back and reread my post, I never said he was lazy and worthless for not reading another states rules,

Please dont put words in my mouth, if he was serious about calling the DEP and telling them his ads meant "pulling weeds" after he admited to us he was gonna spray them., then I would slam him and he would deserve it......but after he said it was said in joking I took it back...If you think thats arrogant thats fine,I think your problem with me is from past posts....we had good disagreements, I enjoy going back an forth with ya......I thought you did as well.....I guess I was wrong .....I love to debate people I will even take a side I dont believe in just to debate people like you just get all bent out of shape when someone dosnt agree with your side.

As far as acting grown up...look who's calling people names in here....Thats really grown up huh?

mtdman
03-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by James Cormier
MTD, I think you should go back and reread my post, I never said he was lazy and worthless for not reading another states rules,

As far as acting grown up...look who's calling people names in here....Thats really grown up huh?

I didn't say it was you calling him lazy and worthless. Go back and reread my previous post. I was addressing the fact that you think I don't want people disagreeing based on one of my earlier posts in defense of Expert, when in fact I have no problems with people disagreeing. My problem was with those who attacked Expert. (Christ, it's like Who's on First :rolleyes:).

I do not get bent out of shape when people disagree with me. I dislike it when people unfairly and irrationally pile on to someone, and I'm not afraid to say it. And there seems to be a whole lotta piling on around here at times.

And it's not name calling, imo. It's more calling a spade a spade. And I call them as I see them.

And quite frankly, I find this whole thing tiring.

Expert Lawns
03-06-2004, 07:00 PM
people argue, people debate. i say black, you say white.

I guess I'm partly at fault for not explaing the whole situation in the first post. I also find it hard to express myself in posts sometimes. YOu have to pick and choose your words carefully when posting so other people don't pick you apart.(which is unfortunate and tiring and takes a lot of fun out of it) I like when people get along on this site, but we all know it doesn't happy all the time.

It is frustrating for me to say what I want, seeing how it's hard to express humor and jokingness when typing. I think a lot of things I said were misinterpreted; thus, arguements occurred. So lets get back on topic, even though I think everything has been said already.

burnandreturn
03-06-2004, 08:06 PM
We have a big fire ant problem in my area. One of the most effictive ways to deal with a fire ant nest is just pour boiling water on the hill. I read that this is also illegal in Texas for a LCO. Doesn't matter what you apply, even just water, gotta have a licience.

Ric
03-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by timturf
Ric,

QUOTE from Ric, "Yes I am getting very disenchanted with the attitudes on these forums. Therefore my attitude is not the best. I apologize to the intelligent members here, All 5 of them"

I agree, but bobbygedd and I want to know the other 4 intelligent members?

Tim

You are one of the 5 therefore I would Have to List the 5 as

TimTurf
Groundskper
Tremor
Runner
Russ

and banned member
Larry Stone.

Bobby just because you won the Special Olympics, does make you a member of MENSA. However it was a great come back.

Expert Lawns
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Fighting online is like the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarted.

bobbygedd
03-06-2004, 08:44 PM
well damn ric, i was gonna say there were only two. you, and me, but i'm not so sure about you. how cum i'm not in the club?

GroundKprs
03-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Good grief!!!

All this run around about someone who basically states he wants to flaunt the law. Read his original question at http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59477 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59477) "I know I'm not licensed and may get grief for this......" So he got his grief and now wants to worm his way out.

Just take his advice from the first message of this thread. Research it with your own state regulators. Don't take off the wall advice form some internet forum when you're dealing with legal consequences.

Ric
03-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
well damn ric, i was gonna say there were only two. you, and me, but i'm not so sure about you. how cum i'm not in the club?

Bobby

Personality and Intelligences are two total different things. You have personality.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 09:15 AM
and you sir? what is it that you have? and how are you grading my intillect? is this based on my education, what you see me write here, or are you just comparing me to yourself, and the big 5? how does one judge another's intillect? please be more thorough

green with envy
03-07-2004, 10:12 AM
It looks like it may be time to end this thread.:blob2:

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 10:16 AM
why? i'm being civil. it's an honest question. how does one judge another persons intillect?

green with envy
03-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Bobby, I did not aim that at you. Honest !!

This forum is supposed to be educational. Now it's just kind of a pissing contest. I think it should be relocated to another forum.
I'm also sure that I'll be attacked for saying this.:eek:

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 10:43 AM
educational, yes. did you ever notice...in high school, the classes you learned the most from were those where the teacher was not all business. it was the classes where there was some humor, and variety, that kept you interested and therefor you learned more.

Ric
03-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
and you sir? what is it that you have? and how are you grading my intellect? is this based on my education, what you see me write here, or are you just comparing me to yourself, and the big 5? how does one judge another's intellect? please be more thorough

Bobby

I have taken the liberty of correcting your spelling in the above quote. I hope you don't mind. The word intellect is spelled with a "E" not an "I", as in your case.

IMHO You sir have a wonderful personality and sense of humor that shows through in your Posting. Since you are personal friends with Sean Adams and visit with him, I am fighting a losing battle. Accept my statement about your personality as a compliment and let us be done with this. If it makes you happy I here by add your name to my list. However you requested the top 5 and IMHO I have listed them. Note that my own screen name is not on that top 5 list.

This whole thread has been about beating the system and loopholes in the law. Now I ask you. How intelligent and professional is that??

green with envy
03-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Very True. For example. I was laughing so hard I had tears coming down my face reading the post you started on the Commercially lawn care site "The dumbest thing you ever did"

That said, Scroll up this thread to see the last time something was said that actually can help someone. Long ago. So long that the nature of the thread has taken a new life.

As the brain surgeon Forrest Gump said.
"That's all I got to say about that"

green with envy
03-07-2004, 10:54 AM
That should be Commercial Lawn Care

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 11:17 AM
ah ric, spelling, give me a break. by the way, i think hereby, is one word, not two, but does it really matter? what is "intillect" anyway? how smart someone is? what level of education one has accomplished? or one's ability to learn and comprehend? i know people that have completed 6 years of college, and are dumber than dirt. and i know people who never been past the 8th grade, who are smart as a whip. and i know people who have 6, 7, 8 yrs of college, and are cutting grass for a living. to me, that's like being 8 ft tall, but not good enough to make the basketball team. what is intillect? i know some things that you don't know, does that make me smarter than you? if you think intillect and education go hand in hand, i think you are terribly wrong. there is education, and there is god given smarts. i'd take the god given smarts over the education anytime. certainly the two combined could only be better, but the combination is rare. i'm not gonna bad mouth you, i respect you, if for nothing else, because you are more than 20 years my elder. believe me, i get no favoritism from mr. addams. i've had more than my share of, "bob, you are way out of line, if this happens again....." emails. especially from jodi. now, that list ric, can you please put it up, just one more time, i'd love to see the new addition.

bobbygedd
03-07-2004, 11:59 AM
anyhow, i don't even like sean. last time he was here, he ate all my shrimp, drank all my booze, and hit on my wife. he was so relentless in his pursuit, she finally gave in. i had to put him in a taxi and send him back to pittsburgh. to this day, she still refers to him as "big daddy sean". nice guy huh?

1MajorTom
03-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Cute Bob, real cute. I like how you subtly mentioned my name. Testing to see if would catch it? haha

Ric, Bobby's a pain in the butt, but I don't send him e-mails correcting him. If I did, I would be at it all day :laugh:

Expert Lawns
03-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by GroundKprs
Good grief!!!

All this run around about someone who basically states he wants to flaunt the law. Read his original question at http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59477 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59477) "I know I'm not licensed and may get grief for this......" So he got his grief and now wants to worm his way out.

Just take his advice from the first message of this thread. Research it with your own state regulators. Don't take off the wall advice form some internet forum when you're dealing with legal consequences.

I laid everything out there for everyone to read. obviously I wasn't trying to get away with anything. I set myself up for critisism, which I think everyone does when they post issues on lawnsite, but I wasn't going to beat around the bush about what I wanted feedback on. I wanted to spray for weeds, seeing how many customers had asked for it in the past. I came to lawnsite asking if it was legal or if you needed a license.

Good point not taking "off the wall" advice on legal issues. I should have consulted someone at the Dept of Agriculture.

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 07:45 PM
ric, the list, the list

Ric
03-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
Ric, Bobby's a pain in the butt, but I don't send him e-mails correcting him. If I did, I would be at it all day :laugh:

Yes BobbyG you are on the top of my list. In fact you are Numero Uno. I knew you had Clod. But I didn't realize how much Clod you had until your above post.

bobbygedd
03-08-2004, 10:26 PM
ric, lighten up young fella, it's gonna be ok, i promise. u r the king of fert, that's a fact. nothing wrong with a laugh now and then. peace my brother

bobbygedd
03-09-2004, 09:00 AM
which reminds me, i have a joke for ya: KNOCK KNOCK

Expert Lawns
03-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't think anyone's home........

Expert Lawns
03-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Hey guys, I received a copy of my advertisement in the mail. I asked the Dept of Agriculture to send me one, just to make sure it was mine. Turns out that it was all doctored up.

I use a response form with all my services on it so the potential customers can "X" off the services they would like the estimate for. At the bottom I leave an area blank that is labeled "other". Turns out that the people at this convelesant home (or someone they are affiliated with) filled in that area. They put down "fertilizer program" then went ahead and filled in the price, and amount of times it was to be applied. I could not believe my eyes. It is not my hand writing, and obviously I could not have filled it out, for it was sent out blank, and I never received it back. (besides, I have never doen fert and wouldn't know the first thing about pricing) Do you think there is any legal action to take here? It couldn't be slander, but could it be libel? They definetaly went out of their way to make my company look bad.

And for everyone's sake, lets keep this on topic. I know I'm talking about a legal issue here. Everyone that has read this post knows that I made a mistake about the licensing aspect in the past. I never purposely meant to harm anyone, anyone's integrity, or anyones reputation. These people on the other hand HAVE. I need to know if there is legal action to be taken. Your POSITIVE suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Green Quality
02-26-2005, 09:56 PM
what do I need to do,to get a fertilizer licence in pa,I do not want or mess with any pesticide at all,Just straight fertilizer! Can any body give me a step by step walk through.is there a test or just a fee ? help and thank you! for your time