PDA

View Full Version : wabbits

mulchmonkey2000
03-01-2004, 07:33 PM
do any of you guys know what kind of flowers that rabbits don't like to eat? I have an office complex that has a courtyard and last year i planted marigolds. Needless to say in a week or so the rabbits ate up almost all 600 i planted. I tried the liquid fence, hot pepper spray, and a few other things and it didn't work. The owner doesn't want marigolds anymore b/c he's afraid that they will be ate no matter what i put on them. Any ideas of what flower they won't eat? I'm looking for something with a lot of color too. Thanks

Flipperneck
03-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Dead Rabits don't eat......................................Just kidding

NNJLandman
03-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Keep your flowers and get a product called liquid fence, made especially for Deer, Rabbit, and other varmit. They say that it smells for a while, i believe there is rotten eggs in the substance, but after a while the smell goes away and doesn't lose effectivness after rain. Just put it around the perimeter of your property. www.liquidfence.com Good Luck

Jeff

ElephantNest
03-02-2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by mulchmonkey2000
I tried the liquid fence, hot pepper spray, and a few other things and it didn't work.

Just a hunch, but I think he tried that.:p

Tried pure cayenne pepper? Pigs blood?

little green guy
03-03-2004, 02:01 AM
did you try a dog yet?

Danimal
03-03-2004, 09:59 AM
poison flowers they usually try these once but never try ttem again.

Mats
03-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I've never had success with repellants, they need to be applied too frequently and after every rain. The only way I've kept rabbits away from flowers is with a fence - and that won't work for your office courtyard. I use chicken wire fencing around individual shrubs/plants which surprisingly isn't too obvious from a distance. Especially if you use the green wire.

If the area is sunny, two flowering plants I have success with are lantana and geraniums. I've heard the aromatic plant Nepeta or 'catmint' will work.

A Google search turned up this info: http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/factsheets/278-97.htm

swim
03-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Talcum or baby powder will repel rabbits (until it rains).

Thats how I keep them out of my vegatable graden.

Moth balls will work for deer to.

D Felix
03-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Find a local artist and have them paint flowers on rocks.:D

Dan

Russ
03-04-2004, 09:08 AM
A Gamo 1000, wrapped in burlap, carried in a golf bag will work when repeated applications are made at dusk and dawn on most vertebrate pest. Just be careful. It looks like a real rifle and is more powerful but makes almost no noise. You may also want to consider introducing outside cats for long term natural control.

mulchmonkey2000
03-05-2004, 06:20 PM
thanks for the replys guys.

Swim: i thought about trying the moth balls but wasn't sure how it would look. I suppose if i put them between the flowers they wouldn't be too noticable.

Mats: I had the same problem you did with applying the liquid fence and hot pepper wax only to have it wash away a few hours later. Unfortunatley the wire fence is not an option for me. The flowers are planted along a walkway in the courtyard that leads to the various entrances. That link you provided me seems to have a nice list of flowers. I wanna check out what some other local nursery's have to say. Glad i have a good start though. thanks.

Anyone else have any ideas?