PDA

View Full Version : Let two go today.

locutus
03-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Due to some time constraints and routing concerns I decided today, before the season starts, to let two of my long-time accounts go. One is a stay at home mom and the other couple are not. Here's the catch, called them both, reached neither so I left a message for them both. At the dinner table tonight, my wife is astonished that I did not drive out to talk to them face-to-face.
Heck, I broke up with her over the phone more than once before we married and every thing tuned out all right. She's got me on the ropes now feeling all guilty and crap. I told her it was just business. Its not like we ran in the same circles together, plus it's getting warmer and I dont know when I'm going to have time to get out there to them. Opinions please.

bastalker
03-01-2004, 07:09 PM
I dont know what kind of message you left, so it would be hard to put myself in thier shoes. The fact that they were long time faithful customers, would come into the picture. I imagine they feel a little let down. They probably wouldn't feel as let down if you told them in person, and might have been a little more understanding. If you ended the message with "I am sorry if this sudden change has caused you any inconvienence. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at anytime.

I would have tried to line them up with a replacement before making a call to dump them, but thats just me. Better yet, I would have tried to talk to them earlier than this, to give them more than enough time to find someone else....

j fisher
03-01-2004, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bastalker
[
I would have tried to line them up with a replacement before making a call to dump them] I agree

locutus
03-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
I dont know what kind of message you left, so it would be hard to put myself in thier shoes. The fact that they were long time faithful customers, would come into the picture. I imagine they feel a little let down. They probably wouldn't feel as let down if you told them in person, and might have been a little more understanding. If you ended the message with "I am sorry if this sudden change has caused you any inconvienence. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me at anytime.

I would have tried to line them up with a replacement before making a call to dump them, but thats just me. Better yet, I would have tried to talk to them earlier than this, to give them more than enough time to find someone else....

I left a long-winded, very concilliatory message. I also offered advice on locating another lco.
I am a part-time (legal) lco. The time constraints I refered to are due to increasing responsibilities at my primary job. I didn't know until recently that this would be the case. Thanks for the reply.

General Grounds
03-01-2004, 07:41 PM
:blob3: i send a letter saying we are unable to service the area due to the relocation of our new shop, it would take over 30 min to get there and back, i hope you understand and thank you for being a loyal customer. had to do that because we did relocate and i wasnt driving a 1/2 hour to service 2 accounts.

Turf Medic
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
At least you called I would have mailed a letter. Business is business, you can't get emotional about it. If it wasn't working for you, it's good to let them know early on, better than getting to the point where you just quit showing up mid season.

Mail the letter explaining the situation, suggest a qualified replacement, thank them for their business, move on.

lawnman_scott
03-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Does your season start tomorow? if not then dont worry.

kootoomootoo
03-01-2004, 09:20 PM
I had the same problem back in 96 or so. I had 5 accounts I didnt want so did a bunch of flyers and sold another 7 accounts in the same area. Sold those 12 accounts for a cool $5000. Mowed the new ones maybe 3 times. True story, my brother was amazed!

mtdman
03-01-2004, 11:09 PM
My wife is always trying to give me a guilt trip about getting rid of customers. I just do what I gotta do. Business is business. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lux Lawn
03-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I drop one last week I just couldn't work for this guy another day.
I sent him a very brief letter telling him we will not be back.It will be a little interesting when he sees us at the house accross the street.

Lawn Dog2001
03-02-2004, 06:12 PM
You did the right thing. At least you gave them ample notice. I know other people who dont even do that. Its not like you just stopped showing up. I wouldnt feel guilty. The shoe is usually on the other foot, and the customer usually dosent fell guilty when switching services.

rodfather
03-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey, you gave them plenty of notice and reason why you can't be there anymore. That was the right thing to do. And think about it, it isn't like you're their primary family doctor or clergyman btw...

locutus
03-02-2004, 07:39 PM
I got a voice-mail from one of them today. She (lawyers wife) said that my dropping them was o.k. because they were entertaining bids from other lco's, so I guess they were going to _hit-can me a little later on. I've never been let go by any client ever. Her reason was that they wanted a "full-service" lco, which I am. Every time I tried to get her to pay for the other services, she balked at the price. She got some shmuck to aerate,fertilize and seed last fall for $50.00. This is a 1/2 acre lawn. Needless to say the lawn looked like crap. She wouldn't even agree to crabgrass pre-emergent in spring. Over the years, crabgrass completely took over. I feel relieved anyway.

johnthe3rd
03-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Locutus,
After thearing about the lawyers wife......I would fell guilty no more. Serenity NOW!

--John