PDA

View Full Version : I got (((scrubbed))) today

PCLL
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Today I lost an account to a scrub. I've had this customer for several years, only to lose it to his nephew. On a positive note he gave me a months notice.

His nephew's a pencil pusher who apparently just can't "take it" anymore. So now he's decided to get out from the A.C and mow. ;)

I politely explained that his nephew should take a part-time position on my crew to make sure he's got what it takes," but he knows how to landscape" - of course he does, that explains why all the Hawthornes he planted along the side of the house have died.

I hate scrubs, they suck, and they give the rest of us a bad name. Death to scrubs.

cklands
03-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't say that a relative is a scrub. No matter what the price is you will almost always lose the acount to a relative. As far as hiring him.....why would you hire someone that you know is going to jump ship and start their own co.? Just to keep this one account?

PCLL
03-01-2004, 07:52 PM
I wanted to hire him so he wouldn't go screwing up yds down the line someday. He's coming from the office life, he won't last a month in the Bama heat.

locutus
03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Most pencil pushers have bodies the consistency of jello. You will probably get a call from this account late spring to recontinue service. Use it as an opportunity to inform them of your new price structure.

Haley Lawn Care
03-01-2004, 08:12 PM
I lost a few accounts to scrubs this year also. I am going to start turning them in for operating without a license. I know it will be hard to do if I cant prove it. But I think I will get relatives to call all these lowballers and ask if they have insurance or business license. We need to get them out the market! They are hurting us and maybe they will be gone when hot weather rolls in. Makes you wish that there was a law which would be more effective against this kind of stuff.

David :(

awsome lawns
03-01-2004, 08:38 PM
very true i hate scrubs

MudslinginFX4
03-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by cklands
I wouldn't say that a relative is a scrub. No matter what the price is you will almost always lose the acount to a relative. As far as hiring him.....why would you hire someone that you know is going to jump ship and start their own co.? Just to keep this one account?

I agree, I wouldn't consider a relative to be a scrub. If I was a homeowner that uses a landscaping service and my nephew was trying to start a business I would def. help him out anyway that I could. However, more then likely he will become a scrub on other yards if he doesn't know much about the business.

lawnman_scott
03-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Has anyone ever lost an account because they were too high priced, or didnt do a good job? Some people cant be pleased, and some just are cheap. But whenever someone looses an account, its to a "scrub", i just dont get it.

MudslinginFX4
03-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
Has anyone ever lost an account because they were too high priced, or didnt do a good job? Some people cant be pleased, and some just are cheap. But whenever someone looses an account, its to a "scrub", i just dont get it.

You've got a point lawnman_scott, what about people who loose accounts to TGCL? That would make us all scrubs if we consider loosing an acount to a cheaper man.

GTLC
03-01-2004, 09:22 PM
Hey, this season I am taking over the maintenance of a commercial account that consists of 3 locations from my Uncle, and I am no longer a scrub.

Tharrell
03-02-2004, 09:11 AM
We really need to define the word "scrub". This comes up year after year. In my mind, a scrub is simply someone who cheats uncle Sam.

Doster's L & L
03-02-2004, 09:29 AM
This guy is not a scrub......yet. It's just one of those, "i'm gonna try mowing for a while and then when i realize it gets hotter than the seventh circle of hell outside, i'm gonna get another inside job" kinda deals. I believe you'll get this account back really soon. Locutus is right, when that baby fat starts burning in the middle of spring, you can expect to get a call back from them. If he's really determined, he'll last till the end of spring. JMO

CSRA Landscaping
03-02-2004, 10:01 AM
What strikes me as odd is the various definitions of the word scrub. One such definition (anyone who undercuts you and then does not as good of a job) seems to fit the really big boys ... I seem to recall seeing a thread somewhere about Brickman killing our industry.

chimmygew
03-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Try losing some to a guy that started in business only to pay for his new mower. After it is paid, he is done. That makes me real happy.