PDA

View Full Version : Homelite trimmer

valley boy
03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
My homelite trimmer when idling keeps spinning ??? does this mean the clutch is sticking or seized . Starts ok and works fine just hard to put down account head is always spinning any ideasa???.

deere mowers
03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
not for sure on that type, but my father-in-law has one of those . i think that is the nature of the beist with that make of trimmer. do you use that for comm. use? hope this helps

MudslinginFX4
03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
It's a homelite... thats your first problem. I'm not sure what it is, maybe someone else can help here. BTW, welcome to the site!

KathysLGC
03-01-2004, 10:13 PM
I had one of those home cheapo $50. red things along time ago and from day one it spun at idle. I even turned the idle down a bit thinking it was set to high. I think thats just how they are,

GTLC
03-01-2004, 10:23 PM
yeah i've got an old POS Homelite trimmer. it did spin a little when idling, but not much.

sildoc
03-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by ECM LAWN
It's a homelite... thats your first problem. I'm not sure what it is, maybe someone else can help here. BTW, welcome to the site!
I hate to say it but I have a homelite and I belive a few do here also. It still starts on one or 2 pulls. Run it as a back up and at least one day a week during season to keep it movin. I have had it for probably 8 years. I now have commercial trimmers and would recomend them due to the extra power.
Any ways to your question. Adjust your idle and see if that helps. on the side near the carburator there are two screws, Low and High. Adjust the low idle screw till it stops spinning.
Either 1 your trimmer wont run and there is another problem to be addressed or 2 it stops spinning at least enough to hurt anything when you set it down.
Good luck.

Rick Jones
03-01-2004, 10:41 PM
A lot of the cheap trimmers don't have a clutch. I've got a Homelite backup trimmer that doesn't have a clutch. My uncle bought a brand new Homelite back in '95 and that didn't have a clutch. You don't get a whole lot for sixty bucks!

grass_cuttin_fool
03-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Has the head always turned when the engine was running?? Some of the cheapest ones do turn all the time, but some of the more exspensive models do have a clutch
When i started out in buisness I had a Homelight that had the clutch, it served me well, but i trimed with it i didnt try to use it for a brush cutter. I had it for 4 years till one day i got in a hurry and didnt place it in the truck bed very well and it fell out on the road and i ran over it with the trailer

lawnagent
03-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Rick Jones
A lot of the cheap trimmers don't have a clutch. I've got a Homelite backup trimmer that doesn't have a clutch. My uncle bought a brand new Homelite back in '95 and that didn't have a clutch. You don't get a whole lot for sixty bucks!

Ditto that. I bought one in 95 because I was in a pinch after someone helped themselves to my Echos in the back of my truck. That Homelite had no cluch either.

specialtylc
03-02-2004, 12:38 AM
I have seen clutches fail and stick so they dont release. It may just be rusted and needs a little lube.

hole in one lco
03-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Well you need to adjust the idle on the carb. You wont be able to edge with it ether, unless you plan on cleaning the spark plug every week and a face full of smoke.

Old boss had one i spent more time f#@$ing with it then i did using it. I finally took it like a baseball bat and swung it a the trailer its dead now. :D :D :D

Jason Pallas
03-02-2004, 01:11 AM
I think everyone of us that's been in the biz for any amount of time has, at one time or another, had a POS Homelite. To answer your question, most Homelites don't have a clutch - thus the head will spin all the time. The more expensive units DO have a clutch. If that's the case with yours, the clutch spring is probably broken - causing the clutch to open against the bell housing - thus forever engaging the drive shaft - even at slow RPMs. Take the clutch housing off and inspect the clutch - my bet is that you've got a broken spring - about $3 in parts.

upsondown
03-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Rick Jones

and isn't it amazing how your customers expect their lawn to look like the 18th hole for thirty bucks. LOL

geogunn
03-02-2004, 08:59 AM
I personally believe we should have a little more love in our hearts for HOMELITE STRAIGHT SHAFT trimmers.

that is all I use and I have several used ones sitting waiting to take up the cause when the current one crapsout.

and to answer the question...unless it is the BRUSH CUTTER attachment available trimmer, it doesn't have a clutch.

it doesn't need a clutch.

I like it without a clutch.

when you are trimming around a young tree or bush, you have to be careful not to let the trimmer line cut the bark on the tree or bush.

with the ole homelite, just let it idle down and you get the grass but not the bark.

the ST-275 is a great trimmer! they are tough, long lasting and do a good job.

I also like the way the head rotates in a clockwise rotation.

GEO