PDA

View Full Version : Thatch or De-thatch???

Let it Grow
03-01-2004, 10:49 PM
I went to a rental place today to check their prices on a de-thatcher, and they looked at me funny and said "you mean a thatcher?".

I've heard people say both. I searched past threads, and people on this site have called it both.

So which is it???

It seems like it would be de-thatch because I'm taking away the thatch.

I need to figure this out so I can set these guys straight!

mtdman
03-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Same thing. When you remove the thatch, it's dethatching. IMO. But people say thatching instead. As long as you know what it means, who cares? I label it as dethatching in my services.

sodzilla
03-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Dethatching. I think thatching sounds like your adding thatch. Just doesn't sound right to me.

dishboy
03-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Power raking sould better?

brucec32
03-02-2004, 12:57 AM
thatching is what you do to make a roof on a hut on a tropical island. De-thatching is what you do to get the thatch off lawns.

Those guys probably would want to rent you an "air-e-rator" too.

bastalker
03-02-2004, 02:00 AM
Tell the rental place "yeah ok a thatcher, what are ya gonna charge me..........."

Tyner Lawn Service
03-02-2004, 09:39 AM
We call it powerraking around here for the most part. I've done over 1000 jobs in my day with a lot of repeat customers. Gave up on it a couple of years ago as i got older. It's good for the lawn if you know how to run one but studies show just aerate unless a lawn is real nasty. I have in the past put an ad in listing it under de-thatch!

Doster's L & L
03-02-2004, 09:53 AM
dethatcher- a machine that pulls up thatch from a lawn to allow better water infiltration......blah blah
thatcher- a machine that takes the thatch you just pulled from a lawn from your trailor and into your previous years nonpaying PITA customer.

Mr. Smith, we're sorry to inform you, but according to our records, you didn't pay for your dethatching service from last year. Sooooo......we're just gonna give it back to ya. Have a nice day. :D:D:D

KathysLGC
03-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Doster's L & L
dethatcher- a machine that pulls up thatch from a lawn to allow better water infiltration......blah blah
thatcher- a machine that takes the thatch you just pulled from a lawn from your trailor and into your previous years nonpaying PITA customer.

Mr. Smith, we're sorry to inform you, but according to our records, you didn't pay for your dethatching service from last year. Sooooo......we're just gonna give it back to ya. Have a nice day. :D:D:D

lol I was very tempted to do something like that 2 years ago!!!!!!!!!
Doesn't it stay with you when you get burned? I still get mad and it was 2 years ago!!!!!

Let it Grow
03-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys.
When the customer called she asked if I did thatching, I was tempted to tell her "sure, we'll thatch now, then de-thatch in the fall!" But I figured it would be good to have the work so I was nice to her!
Maybe I'll ask the rental guys to give me the price for the dethatcher, and the price for the thatcher...see what they say!

craglawnmanor
03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
This sounds sort of like that old George Carlin bit...."Flammable, inflammable, or non-inflammable?.. Heck, it either flams or it doesn't !!!"

Runner
03-04-2004, 07:45 PM
I've had people ask me. "Do you do thrashing?"
I'm thinking like... isn't that what they do in wheat and hay?