PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Best Western Motel, HELP, HUGE PROJECT!!!!!!

lawnboyblake
03-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the site and have been mowing and plowin for quite a few years. I got an account to plow this winter and it was a good deal for me. It is a brand new motel that hasn't opened up yet. The dirt is mostly all leveled out and needs seeded and all the beds matted, planted and mulched. This is a pretty good sized place and I feel that it is a HUGE project, money and material wise. The owner lady really likes me and told me that she wants me to do all of the work for it. How in the world am I going to bid this. I will have to go and get all the plants, mulch, and other needed equipment. I might be able to rent a tractor from a friend of mine to do some dirtwork and other moving of mulch around. There will also have to be some blackdirt brought in to the site. How am I going to charge for all of this? I am almost in the dark on this one, you guys gotta help me out on it. I know how to do all the work but need to figure out how to charge for it. I always work for way too cheap and I'm tired of it, so thats why I am askin the pro's of the site to help me out. Thanks a lot for all the replies guys!!!!!!!!

treedoc1
03-02-2004, 12:06 PM
If it is applicable in your area...

We have our own dump trucks and skid steers

Our labor is also calculated and included in these costs

It is always easiest to measure sq footage and apply your costs. Labor hours many times are miscalculated.

Mulch or topsoil applied 2-3" deep $0.65 sq foot 1000 sq ft = $650.00
Strip existing turf, edge, and mulch $2.00 sq foot 1000 sq ft = $2000
Slit seed or broadcast and straw $.02 sq ftoot 1000 sq ft = $30.00
Sod install $0.50 sq foot 1000 sq ft = $500.00
Plant install w/warranty and planting with amendments and mulching and staking if necessary wholesale price x 2.5 $16 3 gallon plant is $40.00 installed. $185.00 2" caliper tree is $462.50 installed.

Maybe this will help you.

BSDeality
03-02-2004, 03:36 PM
rent a skid steer and do all the beds and planting first, then use the skid steer to level the lot and seed it.

another option would be to sub out a hydroseeder (or rent one if you can).

little green guy
03-03-2004, 01:56 AM
Do they have specs on the instal or do they want you to design it?

The way I figure #'s are to break each part of the job down for myself. For example I will seperate each part of the job like the planting, the grading, the lawn, if there is hardscape or concrete work, irrigation ect... then break each part down to materials and labor and equipment. The planting will include xxx plants and make a material list then figure out how much time the planting will take with how many guys and figure out your total man hrs into that part of the job plus if your running equipment how much your rates are for that and figure all the rest of the parts the same way then add everything together. Then add a certian percentage into the end for a fudge factor.

As far as prices, I mark plants up 2x the retail cost even though i get a discount, all other materials are also marked up such as mulch, topsiol ect.. If you gonna sub any of the work out to contactors such as excavation, irrigation or masonry make sure you mark up thier #'s to so you make something off them.