PDA

View Full Version : How does your lawn striping kit work?

lawnagent
03-02-2004, 07:18 AM
I am going the homemade route on my striping kit. I look at alot of kits that all of you use and it seems about a 50/50 split between those that stripe the area behind the rear wheels and those that only come to the rearwheel. What are the pros and cons of both types? Thanks.

geogunn
03-02-2004, 07:43 AM
my lesco 48 belt unit stripes perfectly. no attachments necessary.

GEO

John Gamba
03-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Heres Exmarks roller, it s also good as an antiscalpe roller and when you go backward over leaves it rolls them over to go under the deck to chop the leaves more.
John

Tharrell
03-02-2004, 08:57 AM
If you're talking about a walkbehind there is a cheap way to make an effective stripe kit. eXmark puts a flap on both hydro and geardive walkbehind mowers. I bought one for my Bob-Cat geardrive and installed some threaded rod in the bottom to add weight. My Bob-Cat striped perfectly until I put Gators on it and now it's back to normal. I believe it's intended to keep objects from hitting the operator in the feet/lower legs originally.

lawnagent
03-02-2004, 04:56 PM
I am putting them on my ZTR. I was looking at pics of Eric Elms Dixie Chopper and a chain striper that was behind a Hustler, as well as the rubber flap that Hustler sells now. They hang from the back of the mower itself, but they do not reach over past the inside edge of the rear wheels. Do the wheels make a good enough stripe? Or am I missing something?

lawnagent
03-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Back to the top

NCSULandscaper
03-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Really only needs to be on the inside of the wheels. The tires make the rest of the stripe complete. I keep mine only on the inside of the tires.

Flat Top Lawn
03-02-2004, 07:52 PM
I use a home made one. They are made from a truck tailgate bed liner. They are inside of the wheels. Going to the Scag roller as soon as my dealer gets them in. The rubber ones work fine, but I'm going to give the other ones a try.

Sam-Ohio
03-02-2004, 08:01 PM
If you look carefully at the picture that John Gamba posted, you can clearly see that the tires are laying down an even darker stripe at the edge, and the color is not quit as deep in the middle of the stripe.

The rear tires on a full size Z mower have 400 + pounds of weight on each tire. This is going to press down on the lawn surface a lot harder than any stripe kit could do. This effect would probably be there whether the stripe roller was wider than the tires or if the roller just came inside the width of the tires.

To make the color tone in the stripe exactly even would require putting far too much weight onto the turf, and no doubt would start to give you problems with soil compaction.

lawnagent
03-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Cool! Thanks guys! Now this is what I was looking for. I know how I will make them now. Also thanks to Frankenscag Machines for helping me on chat. I am going to go with the truck bed rubber mat. :D

TheKingNJ
03-03-2004, 12:25 AM
hey is it woth me making a striping kit for my 52 in scag walkbehind if i'm ruinng proslides?

NCSULandscaper
03-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by TheKingNJ
hey is it woth me making a striping kit for my 52 in scag walkbehind if i'm ruinng proslides?

Nope, proslide will be fine

John Gamba
03-03-2004, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheKingNJ
[B]hey is it woth me making a striping kit for my 52 in scag walkbehind if i'm ruinng proslides?

Only on hill or in tight places where you have the pro up.
John

hartlawnmain
03-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I have a 52" Great Dane Gateway. That is, the left side of the deck will lift up to allow me to go through 36" gates then I drop it down to full width to mow. There's no striper kit available. The idea of a truck bed liner sounds good. I had thought about buying a mud flap for a semi and cutting it to size. Anyone tried or thought of that?

Soupy
03-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Sam-Ohio
If you look carefully at the picture that John Gamba posted, you can clearly see that the tires are laying down an even darker stripe at the edge, and the color is not quit as deep in the middle of the stripe.

The rear tires on a full size Z mower have 400 + pounds of weight on each tire. This is going to press down on the lawn surface a lot harder than any stripe kit could do. This effect would probably be there whether the stripe roller was wider than the tires or if the roller just came inside the width of the tires.

To make the color tone in the stripe exactly even would require putting far too much weight onto the turf, and no doubt would start to give you problems with soil compaction.

I noticed that my Dixie doesn't leave a darker stripe. I beleive this is were the turf boss tires shine over regular turf tires. Well and the fact they don't collect mud either.

lawnagent
03-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by hartlawnmain
I have a 52" Great Dane Gateway. That is, the left side of the deck will lift up to allow me to go through 36" gates then I drop it down to full width to mow. There's no striper kit available. The idea of a truck bed liner sounds good. I had thought about buying a mud flap for a semi and cutting it to size. Anyone tried or thought of that?

It would work, however, alot of truck flaps are made from hard plastic, rather than rubber. Hard plastic could tear up the turf in the right situation. Hold out for a rubber truck mud flap. It will bend and help prevent possible turf damage.

sgoalie23
03-05-2004, 10:12 PM
I made a striping kit that goes on my Metro HP 48" wb. It works like a champ. Basically it is 30 pounds of chain with a threaded bolt running through the last links.

lawnagent
03-06-2004, 10:18 PM
sgoalie23.........

Can you post a pic?

imograss
03-06-2004, 10:53 PM
I use a chain kit I made.

craigs lawncare
03-06-2004, 11:33 PM
I have a Turflex...
For those that don't know, it is a chain striper.

Craig :)

sgoalie23
03-07-2004, 12:15 AM
lawnagent, ill get a pic to you as soon as i can.

bastalker
03-07-2004, 01:07 AM
The bottom line is, it doesn't matter what you use as long as it lays the grass down..

There will be numerous ideas, but just imagine what you have to put on the back of your mower that will bend the grass over...This is what stiping is all about.

You know that the tires will bend the grass over, so what can you put between the tires to bend the grass. The options are all over the place. Experiment, and come up with a design that works for you....

Its not rocket science, You can come up with something.......

cwb20
03-07-2004, 03:42 AM
does it work for a walk behind

bastalker
03-07-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by cwb20
does it work for a walk behind

Uh huh.....