PDA

View Full Version : Lawn install (need HELP)

lawndude2004
03-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I need a little help on pricing a yard renovation.
includes 2.5 acrs of land with sparse grass. Owner wants to plant tall fescue. the property was very wooded and he has recently cut down several trees and removed the stumps.
I figured that i would use the dingo and a harley rake, seed, fertilize and cover with a straw chipper for $2,500--$3,000

please give any suggestions

Robert T
03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Lawn renovations are much more time consuming than just grade and seed. I found out the hard way!
Last year I tore out a 1.2 acre lawn with a harley rake I rented for my skid loader. 1 1/2 days later and a tri-axle load of grass I was finished.
You need a way to till in the existing sod or grass spots. Use a triller or disk first then the harley. Then start the normal grade and seed process.
Your price is way low for the amount of work your about to do. With out seeing the project I think I would be around$10,000

sidebuz
03-02-2004, 06:05 PM
You can do that... but you will probably regret it down the road. $2500-3000 is too cheap. I would spray what is left of the grass with R-Up, then Harley it with a tractor or skid steer model (not a dingo for 2.5 acres... you will be there all week:),then seed. A soil test shold be taken at some point. IF there still is a lot trees, you may have problems getting a good stand. Grass needs 6-8 hrs/day of good sunlight to survive. Even shade tolerant grass. So put that in the back your mind.

My price would be around $5000 because of the trees. The old root systems are not going to be fun. That is also why I wouldn't use something that rips "deep." The Harley can just stay on top more. Still get roots, but not as bad.

The Good Earth
03-02-2004, 10:33 PM
What are your costs? What is your overhead? What do you need to hit for a profit margin? We can sit and preach price all day but only you know your needs. Look at your business objectively and honestly. Do you need to make money so you can stay in the trailer park or would you like to move into a new home.

Where in the world do you even begin to think $2500 to $3000? I wouldn't even consider unloading my trailer for that low of a price. More importantly, why do you consider bidding a job that you have no concept on the scope of work or the pricing matrix that you need to achieve.

lawndude2004
03-05-2004, 04:03 PM
My company focuses on the maintenance part of the industry and while we have a little down time a customer from the past asked me if i was interested. I figured $500.00 for the seed and fert + $500 for straw puts me at $1000.00 for costs. All I wanted was some info from those of you in this part of the green industry on what this type of job goes for.
--If you would like to load up your crew to come tennessee and stay at my (trailer) on the lake on 9.5 acres be my guest.
----Thanks to robert T and side buz

ollie212@tds.net
03-06-2004, 04:31 PM
To Jay : do u think becasue a company has never sone a job that they should not ..everyone has to learn you did not have your knowledge today becasue u were born with u had to learn.. Ither by working for someone in the buiness of hiring some who knows how , or just striking out on your own and learning by your mistakes. Ethier way u had to learn one way or another. I think this man lawndude is looking for some help in learing the correct way. That is a step it the right directions first. Not just getting out there and finding out his mistakes .. He can find out here first maybe minimize his mistakes.. Im glad Jay u have it all figured out with out any help.. good luck to u

guss
03-06-2004, 10:15 PM
as a rule we price installs @ .15 per square ft. to grade rake and seed. (your job = $15,000). you have to charge enough to cover your equipment costs, (wear and tear or rental). and still put some green in your pocket. your region may not support these prices but you have to charge for equipment.

greenngrow
03-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I would charge $65.00 to $50.00 per 1000 depending on how many trees and other things I would have to work around.
Total job around $ 7000.00 you have to pay for the equipment and make enough for the call back. Believe you me you will get call back no matter how good of a job you do. That is a big area to get done and there is no way they are going to be able to water the area like it should be.

I figured right at $1500.00 for seed, fert, straw. This is not counting labor, machinery, fuel.

Good luck, let us know how you come out.

greenngrow
03-07-2004, 08:03 AM
HEY Guss,
Don't take this the wrong way, But around here that price is higher than sod.

I really wish I could get that for my work 4 big jobs a year and I could pay off my equipment (and it only 1 year old).

Not trying to start anything. It just goes to show you how the pricing game is different from area to area.

You need to know this are you will go broke.....

lawndude2004
03-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your help

Sean Adams
03-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Woooo.....hold up. No need to jump on Jay here. Not always easy to understand someone's tone when in writing. Maybe Jay was a bit harsh in his presentation, but the point he is trying to make is....maybe this isn't the best renovation job in which to get your feet wet... I am not saying don't give it a shot, just be prepared for people's opinion...that is what this board is about.