PDA

View Full Version : Entry level Rider?

Mtngoat
03-02-2004, 04:41 PM
Looking for a entry level rider. John Deere as compared to Gravely or Cub Cadet. Etc Will be doing mainly acreage. Possibly few smaller residentials.
I know you guys have allready given these things the real world test! So lets have it.
What is a good solid entry level Rider? Thank You. Mtngoat:eek:

chevyman1
03-02-2004, 04:52 PM
You can't beat Dixie Chopper. I'm just get started too, so I bought the 27HP, 60INCH deck and it's the best money can buy

Mtngoat
03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
How many Beans are we talking about for the Silver Eagle Entry Level?
Is it cost effective as compared to a regular Rider-- John Deere/Gravely/Husqvarna Etc?

Mtngoat
03-03-2004, 11:36 AM
ok I would like to start out with a DIX CHOPP Money will not allow this at the time.
How about a sears Rider with a Kohler engine?

Metro Lawn
03-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I hate to tell you this, but the Dixie is nowhere near the best money can buy. The machine quality as well as the cut quality are only fair at best. It is somewhere in the middle of the pack. I wouldn't even put it in the same catagory as Hustler, Exmark, Scag, ect. We have purchased over 200,000.00 in equipment in the past 10 years. We tried a Dixie once and got rid of it within 2 months. They are juck in my opinion when compared to the other machines availible.

Hawkeye5
03-03-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm not familiar with the Sears unit, but they mostly make homeowner mowers. If the Sears is a tractor, forget it. Tractors are too slow in the turns. I broke a belt on my ZHP last year and used my John Deere 260 tractor to finish. The Deere is going to a consignment auction later this month. My opinion is you would be better off finding a low hour used mid-size mid-mount deck unit like a Exmark ZHP 48" deck.

swim
03-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Alot depends on how many lawns you have, how much can you afford to invest, and many other factors. Make sure your going to like the business before to much of an investment. Also don't forget about insurance, licenses, and advertising to name a few. When I started (and I know I'll get slack about it) I had a Murry 16hp 46in deck ridding mower that I bought used, a Murry push mower, and a Ryobi trimmer, but I had no payments. That gave me time to make mistakes, and everyone does, learn and grow without worring about going broke.

It just depends on your situation.

GreenMonster
03-03-2004, 03:43 PM
How about a good sized used w/b with a sulkie?

CNE
03-03-2004, 06:31 PM
I would steer away from a rider. Zero turns are so much more efficient. A local Toro dealer here has some residential zero turns. They aren't as heavy duty as a commercial, but offer the same cut and similar horsepower. It would be a start for you. I think he had a 52" 23HP for $4100. Toro is a good mower. Exmark also offers non-commercial models. I'm sure others do to. The only thing I use my rider for is to get into some gates and I plan on getting rid of it later this year to buy a 36" WB.

Mtngoat
03-04-2004, 12:16 AM
I want to thank everyone for there input. This is truly a great site
with alot of very good information.

Thank You. Mtngoat