PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Z leaves deep tire marks?


Soupy
03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
I bought a Hustler Z last fall. It cuts evenly without leaving stringers, but it leaves bad tire marks. It's not the normal darker looking tire marks you would notice from the grass being laid down. These look like ruts. Has anyone else had the same experience? I own a Dixe Chopper and it doesn't leave these ruts, I'm thinking maybe it is because of the atv type tires on the Dixie. But I honestly haven't seen any other mower leave ruts like this. The ruts are not the kind you would expect to see when cutting a wet lawn. These are just shorter areas of grass the width of the back tires. I know it can't be normal because I don't know anyone that would be happy with this quality of cut. I didn't use it last fall and took it to my dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They also didn't have any grass to test it on (it was dormant already). I took it back to the dealer today after talking to Hustler (which is doing it's best to help), but I dought they have any grass to test it on now either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Soupy

Soupy
03-02-2004, 07:02 PM
I want to add that I bought this mower used with 28 hours on it with full warranty.

Soupy

Sam-Ohio
03-02-2004, 09:34 PM
What is the exact size of the rear tires on the Hustler ?

What is the tire brand , and tread model name ? Like Carlisle is the brand, and "turf saver" is a particular tread design.

What air pressure do you normally keep in the rear tires ?

Soupy
03-03-2004, 12:43 AM
It has the stock tires on it. I believe they are turf master's. I have tried all different tire pressure. Hustler recommends 8-10psi. I have it set to 9psi now.

I have tried several blade combinations and have tried it with and without a mulch kit.

I measured the blades yesterday and the right side was 3/16 higher in the back and the left side was even. the front of each side was the same. This is what the dealer is going to fix this week. I just don't see how that small of a adjustment is going to help. I could understand if I had stragglers, but I'm leaving huge tire indents in the ground.

The mower cuts clean and holds hills great. I love everything about the mower except for the tire marks. My other mowers cut worse (stragglers) but don't leave tire Marks. I would rather have a few stragglers then tire marks any day.

I am in no way trying to bash hustler, they have been good to me trying to figure out the problem. They say it shouldn't be leaving tire marks, but have not seen the problem in person. I just don't see what it can be except for the huge tires. But I have not heard anyone else complain about this. I bought this mower when the grass was dormant (so I didn't test the cut) and purchased it because of Hustler's reputation on lawnsite. Plus the fact that it was a pleasure to drive on pavement.

Soupy
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Bump.....TTT.......

coonman
03-03-2004, 05:45 PM
That is exactly the same problem we had with the 36inch stander last year. It would leave ruts like that on lawns in mid July when it is extremely dry. I am not sure about the Hustler but the Stander's compact design might have something to do with our problem. I think it weighs around 660 and then add the operator directly on to the tires more or less. If it has rained within a few days, forget about it. We are selling ours for that very reason. Good luck

imograss
03-03-2004, 05:58 PM
I'm confused:confused:
Are you having issues with the tires or the quality of cut? Are you saying it has the Turf Boss tread design, like a Dixie?

Soupy
03-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by imograss
I'm confused:confused:
Are you having issues with the tires or the quality of cut? Are you saying it has the Turf Boss tread design, like a Dixie?

No, it has the same tires that come on all Hustlers. I'm having problems with the finished result after cutting. I don't know if it is the tires or something to do with the deck setup.

All I know is that when I use the Hustler to cut grass, It leaves a uneven look. It looks like ruts but the ground itself isn't rutting, the grass appears to be lower on each side. The lower parts are the width of the tires. The grass doesn't lay over it actual appears to be shorter or just pushed down. It's really hard to explain.

I thought it was the offset blades, but I tried gators on it and it didn't help. I also tried doubles with the offset blade on top and the gators on bottom. This makes both blades about the same height in cut. Nothing I have tried works.

I am using a Hustler Z on mostly cool season grass.

jsr2741
03-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but the grass that gets run over by the wheels (due to the weight of the machine) will have a different look than the grass thats laid over by the vaccum from the deck.

Soupy
03-03-2004, 06:49 PM
I understand that the grass laid over by the tires will leave a darker stripe. But this looks completely uneven or rutted when finished.

If no one else is having this problem then it can't be the tires. It has to be a vacuum problem with the deck.

I'll wait and see what the dealer says. Last fall when I took it in they tried to tell me the deck needed scraped. The problem there was, the day before I took it in I scalped my lawn with it (I was aerating) and forgot to tell my worker to scrape the deck before he took it in. I tried to explain to the dealer that I wasn't a newbie and always keep the decks clean and the blades sharp when the mower is being used. This time I made sure the deck was clean and the blades were sharp.

imograss
03-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Do your stripes look like mine? (done with 27/60 Super Z)

Soupy
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
No, instead of the darker trail left behind by your tires. Mine leaves ruts. so it looks like the sides of each pass was cut lower then the middle.

Yours looks like it is a little uneven too, but not near as bad as mine. Do you use a stripe kit? I have not tried one on the Hustler yet. I do have a homemade chain kit on my Dixie Chopper. Maybe this will help even things out. I just excepted the mower to cut good without the need for modification.

specialtylc
03-03-2004, 08:26 PM
Was the turf water stressed or was it frosting at night. When the grass is drought stressed it will bend under the tires and not spring back up. Same in cold weather.
You said you just bought it last fall. How many lawns did you use it on.

Gabriel Turf
03-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Was the turf water stressed or was it frosting at night. When the grass is drought stressed it will bend under the tires and not spring back up. Same in cold weather.
You said you just bought it last fall. How many lawns did you use it on.

I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes new seedllings will really "rut", as you describe, in the fall but will be fine in the spring when they get some size.

I imagine your Dixie tires just perform much better on grass that is heat stressed or has been hit by some frost.

Altering your mowing pattern each visit will help alot.

I have the problem on a couple of my properties that are not irrigated and don't let me do the fert.

Soupy
03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
I tried it on several lawns. None of my other mowers do this.

Just so you guys know, I have been in this business for 15 years. What I am experiencing is not normal. I actually bought the mower on August 8th. I said last fall because it seems like I just bought it since I really have not been able to use it. I peridicolly tried it on all my lawns at one point.

Soupy
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
As for the altering pattern, When I do use this mower I am stuck going in a criss cross pattern to try to hide the ruts.

If I could get a tire such as the turf boss to fit, I would try it. But I don't know of such a tire. This leads me back to think that if it was the tire design, then everyone would have this problem.

P&J Lawncare
03-05-2004, 02:34 AM
It sounds like the deck is not level. This would cause all kinds of grief with your stripes. I dont see how the tires could do it especially when the hustler doesn't weigh any more then your other zero turn mowers.

bastalker
03-05-2004, 02:53 AM
Wow Soupy, thats quite the dilema.... My first thought was the same as the others, that the soil was water logged, thus creating the ruts. You have said in fact that this is not the case.

The tires, well I really dont think the tires will have much to do with this problem. Alot of members have this same setup, and are not having these problems.

My opinion on this is, its only March, an bein in Ill. would lead me to believe that although it may not look like the ground is moist for the first couple of inches. It is still thawing out below those couple of inches. This would definately create a rut problem.

I bet after thaw, you wont see those ruts anymore......

Soupy
03-05-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by bastalker
Wow Soupy, thats quite the dilema.... My first thought was the same as the others, that the soil was water logged, thus creating the ruts. You have said in fact that this is not the case.

The tires, well I really dont think the tires will have much to do with this problem. Alot of members have this same setup, and are not having these problems.

My opinion on this is, its only March, an bein in Ill. would lead me to believe that although it may not look like the ground is moist for the first couple of inches. It is still thawing out below those couple of inches. This would definately create a rut problem.

I bet after thaw, you wont see those ruts anymore......

I wish that was the case. But this has been going on since the day I bought it on August 8th. I took it to the dealer last September and he said that everything checked out and the deck just needed cleaned. I asked him to double check and make sure the deck was setup right. I guess he didn't do that.

The deck is off just a hair and I hope that when I get the mower back the problem will be solved. The only thing wrong with the deck is that the left side has no pitch. the right side has a 3/16 (just over an 1/8) pitch. The front of the blades are even across the deck.

bastalker
03-05-2004, 03:36 AM
I dont understand how the deck being off a hair would cause a rutting problem.........IMO, rutting the turf has nothing to do with the deck.

This is definately a new one on me.........Have you checked to see if the back tires are square? Not toed in or out? If they are square, then I have no clue, an will shut up.......

Good luck Soupy, I hope ya get it figured out...

Soupy
03-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by bastalker
I dont understand how the deck being off a hair would cause a rutting problem.........IMO, rutting the turf has nothing to do with the deck.

This is definately a new one on me.........Have you checked to see if the back tires are square? Not toed in or out? If they are square, then I have no clue, an will shut up.......

Good luck Soupy, I hope ya get it figured out...

I didn't even think to check the tires to make sure they weren't defective. The tires look brand new still. I will see what my dealer says.
Thanks for the advice

bastalker
03-05-2004, 04:21 AM
No problem Soupy....

Envy Lawn Service
03-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Is the mower equipped with 9.5" wide tires or 12" wide tires?

What type of turf are you mowing?

What is the finished cutting height of the turf?

Soupy
03-05-2004, 04:38 AM
I believe they are 12" tires. I am mowing mostly tall fescue, and Kentucky Blue Grass. I have a few Bermuda and Zoysia lawns too. For the most part we have mostly cool season grass here though. The problem exist on all those grass types.

I have tried all mowing heights. I need to cut at 3" to 31/2"

awm
03-05-2004, 07:14 AM
im thinking u got a deck problem, which the dealer couldnt correct .. hence it was available to u with 28 hrs on it..to be honest i think it can be fixed ,,but possibly not by the dealer u are using..
be nice if mower consultant could look at it ,,as its gonna take somebody ,really in the know on decks.. good luck

Soupy
03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
I bought it from a home owner that moved to a smaller lawn a year after buying it. The dealer that he bought it from sold out to a dealer that doesn't carry Hustler. So I'm using a different dealer then purchase place.

Mower consultant knows of my problem and has gotten me in contact with Hustler and they are trying to work with the dealer to fix the problem. They don't know what the problem is for sure either. They told me to take it to the dealer for a second time and have the deck adjusted. Which I asked the dealer to check the first time I took it to them. They were convinced I didn't know what I was talking about and said the deck just needed cleaned.

swim
03-05-2004, 10:06 AM
I see lots of people who do not understand your problem with the mower on this sight and I'm not sure that I do 100%. I know that you have had many other mowers from your posts and that they have never had this problem. I was just wondering if this is the nature of the mower, or maybe the finish cut of all of this brand mower looks the same. Maybe you should demo a new mower of the same brand and set up to see if there is any difference. I know that this will not solve your problem, but it could give you something to compare to.

battags
03-05-2004, 10:08 AM
I have seen mowers with bent decks/frames that don't distribute the weight evenly on all wheels. Kinda like that anoying dinner table that rocks and won't sit steady when your eating on it. The only thing I can think is that his deck problems may lead to a similar problem. More weight on one wheel leading to ruts? I dunno....

Brian

bastalker
03-05-2004, 11:27 PM
This would drive me nuts!! Can you post any pics?

HustlerZman
03-05-2004, 11:49 PM
I personally dont think this mower is a problem.
I believe that your problem is "compaction". I think with the winters that you guys have which will soften the ground severly.
With that type of softened soil I dont think it would matter what type of mower you were using.

This is just my two cent's.

P&J Lawncare
03-06-2004, 03:36 AM
here's what my super z's (3 of them) stripe like.

P&J Lawncare
03-06-2004, 03:39 AM
woops forgot the picture.

captken
03-06-2004, 07:18 AM
I think you are just picky. I use a Hustler. Ruts? On the ground? Ruts are usually caused by poor conditions [wet] and excessive weight.....the impact that properly inflated tire produces [pounds per square inch] would be called the contact area, is less than say my 95 lb 21 inch John Deere JX!
I'd use the Ztr because of the Low Ground Pressure. Ruts? I don't think so sonny. Can you say stripping?

Soupy
03-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by HustlerZman
I personally dont think this mower is a problem.
I believe that your problem is "compaction". I think with the winters that you guys have which will soften the ground severly.
With that type of softened soil I dont think it would matter what type of mower you were using.

This is just my two cent's.

If you go back and read what I said, you will see that I have had this problem since last August. You will also see that I said none of my other mowers do this.

Soupy
03-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by captken
I think you are just picky. I use a Hustler. Ruts? On the ground? Ruts are usually caused by poor conditions [wet] and excessive weight.....the impact that properly inflated tire produces [pounds per square inch] would be called the contact area, is less than say my 95 lb 21 inch John Deere JX!
I'd use the Ztr because of the Low Ground Pressure. Ruts? I don't think so sonny. Can you say stripping?

I didn't say all Hustlers do this. Just because you are not having the problem that i'm having doesn't mean I'm imagining it.

I'm not being picky. Everyone that has seen the finish cut of this mower has told me it looks like crap. There is no way I could use this mower on my customers lawn.

I know what stripes are. Here is a picture of stripes from one of my other mowers.

Soupy
03-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Listen, no one needs to get upset because they use a Hustler. I'm not bashing Hustler! I'm just trying to figure out how to fix my mower so it cuts like all of yours.

thapco4
03-06-2004, 11:05 PM
If anyone is still following this thread, I have the EXACT same problem with my 36" Toro w/ Floating Deck. Dealer says he's never heard of such a thing...must be soft/wet ground. I got the ruts in July in Dallas! They really are ruts. Oh yeah, I only mowed the yard I'm talking about 2 times, I even mowed it perpendicular the second time. I know it has to do with the front tires, but I dont know what to do. Help me, please.

Evan528
03-06-2004, 11:19 PM
I had the same exact problem with my Toro Z master. Everyone I told this problem too thought I was nuts. Where the wheels rolled over would be mashed down and 2 inches lower then in between the 2 wheel marks. It happend on some lawns....some it didnt. I sold the mower and bought a DC. I no longer have this problem and I think it was due to the turf saver tires on my toro. The Boss II tires on the dixie have the tread so far apart that only a fraction of the tire is actually contacting the ground instad of the entire surface area of the turf saver tire. About the only thing I like about the Boss tires.

Pecker
03-06-2004, 11:35 PM
It seems to me that you have ruled out all conceivable causes. However, somewhere in the thread you or someone else mentioned the possbility of the deck / blades not producing enough lift. If I were a betting man, I'd be willing to bet this is where the problem is. Lift is one of the main differences between a homeowner mower and a commercial unit a major factor in the difference in the quality of cut. My old lawn tractor does exactly like you describe on my lawn (after the front tires roll over the turf and lays it down, it never gets sucked back into the upright position to be cut and the result is the "rut"). I can get off of it and jump on my ZTR and there is no comparison in quality of cut, side by side on the same lawn at the same time. . . . Please let us know what the problem was when you do figure it all out.

Soupy
03-07-2004, 01:53 AM
I was looking at Hustler's website and noticed they use the Carlisle Chevron tire on the Hustler ATZ mower. I wonder if this tire will help my situation? The only thing I don't understand, If it was the tires then everyone would be having this problem.

Envy Lawn Service
03-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Soupy
I believe they are 12" tires. I am mowing mostly tall fescue, and Kentucky Blue Grass. I have a few Bermuda and Zoysia lawns too. For the most part we have mostly cool season grass here though. The problem exist on all those grass types.

I have tried all mowing heights. I need to cut at 3" to 31/2"

OK, so my guess was that you had the 52" cut with 23x9.5x12 tires. Seeing as that machine has no trim capacity (52" wide tire to tire & 52" cut)........

Well I was going to guess that you were overlaping your tire tracks because you had to run your tires over in the just cut pass to overlap the deck swath.....

I guess my guess was wrong??? If so I'm back to the drawing board.....

specialtylc
03-07-2004, 02:32 AM
SOUPY: originally you said it was cutting the grass shorter at the wheel tracks only. I am positive that this is physically impossible. Since #1 the blades are 20 inches long and the tires are 12 inches wide. #2 If it was a suction problem and the grass was not getting lifted up to get cut the lawn in the tire tracks would be taller than the rest of it. #3 You said the tires are all inflated to proper presure and the deck is set level side to side and 3/16 higher in rear as it should be. With that said we , we now know its the compaction from the tires. End of this thread and discusion.........

Soupy
03-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
SOUPY: originally you said it was cutting the grass shorter at the wheel tracks only. I am positive that this is physically impossible. Since #1 the blades are 20 inches long and the tires are 12 inches wide. #2 If it was a suction problem and the grass was not getting lifted up to get cut the lawn in the tire tracks would be taller than the rest of it. #3 You said the tires are all inflated to proper presure and the deck is set level side to side and 3/16 higher in rear as it should be. With that said we , we now know its the compaction from the tires. End of this thread and discusion.........

You are right about the blade being wider then the tires. I have already thought of that. This is why I am so boggled by this. By the way the blades are 18", but your still right.

The deck has the correct pitch on the right side. The left side has no pitch. They are fixing the deck right now.

I believe it is the tires also, but why is no one else having this problem? There still has to be a fix? even if it means putting different tires on it.

I'm glad you think that it is as easy as you say, and poof my problem is gone. But it's not. I believe this thread should only be ended when no one cares or I say that my problem is fixed.

Thanks,
Soupy

thapco4
03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
i think the lift is definitely a problem on my 36" Proline. I added the mulch kit and i really think that was a mistake. I'm taking it off next week and going to see if the cut quality is any better. I dont see how lifting (or not) the grass would make ruts. The thing people dont seem to understand is that the ruts arent in the grass they are impressions in the soil. I can stand on grass and it lays down, but what we are talking about is like standing in mud and leaving foot prints (extreme example). The only thing is it can happen in dry solid soil. I think I still have some of the pictures from last year. I will try to find them and get them posted so everyone can see. Also, it is not something similar to striping!

Envy Lawn Service
03-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Soupy
You are right about the blade being wider then the tires. I have already thought of that. This is why I am so boggled by this. By the way the blades are 18", but your still right.

The deck has the correct pitch on the right side. The left side has no pitch. They are fixing the deck right now.

I believe it is the tires also, but why is no one else having this problem? There still has to be a fix? even if it means putting different tires on it.

I'm glad you think that it is as easy as you say, and poof my problem is gone. But it's not. I believe this thread should only be ended when no one cares or I say that my problem is fixed.

Thanks,
Soupy
Nope...thread not over...not until you are satisfied. So if the blades are 18" then it must be a 52" cut and I bet I'm right. There is no deck overhang and you run over every track twice.

Soupy
03-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Nope...thread not over...not until you are satisfied. So if the blades are 18" then it must be a 52" cut and I bet I'm right. There is no deck overhang and you run over every track twice.

I guide my cut with the front tires. I run the tire just on the outside of my last cut. You could be right about running over every track twice, but I believe I have noticed this on the first pass. When I get the mower back, I will look into this.

Is there anyone out there with a 52" Hustler Z? It was originally purchased in April of 2002, but I believe it is a 2001 model. I would like to hear your thoughts on this mower. Especially if you cut cool season grass.

I hope I can get this straighten out. I love everything about this mower except for this problem. It is very comfortable to operate and customer service has been great. But If this is normal I will be forced to sell this mower and get something else.

Soupy
03-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by thapco4
If anyone is still following this thread, I have the EXACT same problem with my 36" Toro w/ Floating Deck. Dealer says he's never heard of such a thing...must be soft/wet ground. I got the ruts in July in Dallas! They really are ruts. Oh yeah, I only mowed the yard I'm talking about 2 times, I even mowed it perpendicular the second time. I know it has to do with the front tires, but I dont know what to do. Help me, please.

I forgot to mention that I have a 36" Toro but it is a fixed deck. I don't have a rutting problem with this mower. I only use it on a couple of back lawns though.

I wish you luck on your problem.

Soupy
03-10-2004, 04:27 AM
I was browsing the picture forum and came across a lawn that will kida give you an idea what I am talking about.

Look at the picture of this lawn cut with a 21" mower and imagine the tire tracks 12" wide on each side.

It wouldn't let me post the picture, so go to this thread and you will see it http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64505

WESLEY BROWN
03-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Maybe Suction cause the 21" can not suck the front wheels up and then the narrow back wheels smash it. You could be right about the tires.

Soupy
03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
well I called my dealer today and they said they found the problem and are waiting for parts. When I asked her what parts, they said something about a hydro pump or something with hydro in it (I was on my cell phone at the time so I couldn't write anything down). She also said they were waiting for a few other parts. She really couldn't tell me much because the guy servicing it was not there when I called.

When I find out more detail I will let you know.

Thanks,
Soupy

Envy Lawn Service
03-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Hummm....hydro related stuff. Now that intrests me. Be sure to drop by tomorrow, get full details and post them on here, that is if your schedule allows. Personally, I have became very leary of most service departments abilities. What I mean is most places have A #1 part changers on staff. But very, very few have service people that are good at diagnosis for strange problems.

What I'm getting at is, lots of times they just don't have the know how or a field testing area to use the machine and diagnose problems. So many time they just get fed up with themselves, the machine and you. So they just guess part "X" is the problem, let's change it.

Other times you will also have arrogant serice people that decide you are just making something up to complain about. #1 because you do have know it all service people w/ attitudes like some of those members that posted in this thread. And #2 dealers do have to deal with those who are just complainers pretty often. So I suggest you watch out for that type of treatment. After all service departments have been known to tell false repair stories. You know "we changed this and adjusted that, now you're good as new!" When in fact they haven't done anything but stand around and scratch their head until they came up with the story.

Lots of times a story satisfies the complaining customer type that doesn't have a true problem or valid complaint. Then when the customer doesn't return for a while the all set back and laugh.

I think you have a real problem, so just keep your eyes open on this one. I'm really interested to know the full explaination of how the a hydro related issue might cause rutting. If they are right, I dang sure want to know what to look for if I should have that problem in the future.

For the record my next guess whas going to be a warped or out of square built frame/wheel motor mount. That could cause all kind of out of whack tire and wheel alignment.

| / \ | \ / / / \ \ / \ | \ / |

Soupy
03-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Envy, I hope they don't think I'm a complainer. I have always been nice and courteous when I talk to them. Like today, I said thank you and explained that I was in no big hurry that I was just curious as to what they found.

The good thing is, I have Randy from the customer service department at Hustler following their every move. I would have just called him today, But he called me Friday and said he was going to be out of the office most of the week and that he will check on my mower first thing when he gets back (at that time he didn't know anything). I have to hand it to Hustler, They have a top notch customer service department.

Your right about putting a customer at ease by lying to them. Because I was so glad when I heard the lady tell me their guys found the problem. That is why when she told me the parts she was waiting on, it just went right through one ear and out the other. I was still in shock that they think they figured it out. Last fall when I took it to them they swore to me that the deck just needed cleaned. They were right, the deck did need cleaned at the time. But I tried to explain that I change blades almost daily and I always scrape the decks. He didn't believe me and asked me to give it a try. Well you know that it didn't work. I kinda have my doubts about this dealer, but If they fix my problem I will be their new best friend.

Soupy
03-21-2004, 05:04 AM
I just got my mower back. They re-adjust the deck, changed a bearing in one of the spindles and changed the hydro dampeners. I tested it on my lawn and it seemed to do better, but the grass hasn't started growing yet. I will know for sure about the first week of April.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2004, 05:15 AM
The deck adjustment and bearing change I can see, because problems there would blade tip speed, lift and cut. But the dampners? Did they offer explaination of why they changed each part?

Anyways, I hope that fixes you up! Let us know....

Soupy
03-21-2004, 05:31 AM
I don't know why anything needed changed besides the deck adjustment. The mower only has 100 hours on it. I just figured the dealer wanted to get their moneys worth on the warranty.

Hustler has been great as for as customer service goes. If this mower works out, I will definitely buy another Hustler soon. I think I just had a poorly setup mower from the start, I don't think it was Hustlers fault. But the true test will have to wait a couple more weeks.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Well, my guess is maybe they were thinking it was lacking sufficient lift. So the obvious thing to do first is check deck adjustment, then check the engine RPM. IF the engine RPM checked out, then the next step to making sure the blade tip speed was OK would be to drop the deck belt and check the free spin on all 3 spindles. My guess is 1 of them wasn't as free spinning as the other 2.

Again, I hope you're all fixed up.....

johnbast3
03-21-2004, 09:37 AM
Soupy,
Quick question.To get your 3 to 3 1/2 height of cut,do you raise the deck? Try leaving the deck low and bring the blades themselves closer to the spindle,this way you will still get good vacuum..JB

Soupy
03-21-2004, 09:55 AM
The blades don't have spacers. I am hoping the problem is fixed, I just won't know for sure untill I get some good grass to cut. Shouldn't be long, just a couple more weeks.

Liberty Lawncare
03-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Sell the Hustler you are not happy.

Envy Lawn Service
05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Soupy
I am hoping the problem is fixed, I just won't know for sure untill I get some good grass to cut. Shouldn't be long, just a couple more weeks.

Well, how's it doing?

dvmcmrhp52
05-06-2004, 11:50 PM
You've all got me interested in this one.

Soupy
05-08-2004, 02:58 AM
The Hustler is cutting a lot better. It still leaves the tire marks sometime, but only under certain conditions. I'm thinking about putting ATV tires on it to see if I can get the same results as my Dixe Chopper. Don't get me wrong, the Hustler has it's benefits over the Dixie, but the Dixe shines when it comes to the tire marks left behind.

I'm sorry I didn't report back sooner. I have been really busy and really don't have time to hang out at Lawnsite right now. Hopefully after the spring growth slows down I will be able to participate more. I hope everyone is having a good season.

Soupy

John Gamba
05-08-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Soupy
The Hustler is cutting a lot better. It still leaves the tire marks sometime, but only under certain conditions. I'm thinking about putting ATV tires on it to see if I can get the same results as my Dixe Chopper. Don't get me wrong, the Hustler has it's benefits over the Dixie, but the Dixe shines when it comes to the tire marks left behind.

I'm sorry I didn't report back sooner. I have been really busy and really don't have time to hang out at Lawnsite right now. Hopefully after the spring growth slows down I will be able to participate more. I hope everyone is having a good season.

Soupy

Hay soupy! Happy spring!!
Can you give us a pic when you have time?

Thanks john