PDA

View Full Version : Striping, When and Where

MOturkey
03-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Just curious. I've read a lot about the equipment used to stripe, looked at many of the pictures posted on here, and think it looks great. To be honest, I've never seen a striped lawn here locally. Perhaps I don't spend enough time in the high rent district. Anyway, I mow a place just up the road that has a large front yard right on the highway. Thought I might try striping it this spring just to get some attention drawn to my mowing.

Now, to my question. For those of you who make an art of striping, how do you decide which lawns to stripe? Owner request, location, stripe all lawns, stripe only the big ones? Also, if you don't stripe all properties, do you charge any additional fee for doing so. I'd think to do it properly would require a little more time. Also, dumb question, but how do you make your turns so as to make the ends look even. Thanks. Neill

Flat Top Lawn
03-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I try to stripe every lawn I cut. My opinion is, it looks better than a basic mow. I do not charge any more this is just part of my services. If I do a good quality stripe job it will get noticed by more than the home owner. This means more customers.

chefdrp
03-03-2004, 12:54 AM
I cant mow a lawn and not lay a stripe. How whould you mow and not have a stripe? Mybe its just my area.

WAGS LandL
03-03-2004, 09:10 AM
I stripe every lawn I cut. The rollers on my mowers are mounted
in a fixed position. Make 2 trim passes around the edges of the
property and the house first then start your passes back and forth from one side to the other. Turn where you made your trim
passes and you will not see where you turned. Good luck.

advantagelawn
03-08-2004, 02:12 AM
every yard is striped, from rentals to million dollar homes. striping is a must in this business for professionalism, it makes you look better.

swim
03-08-2004, 09:32 AM
WAGS I stripe every lawn I cut. The rollers on my mowers are mounted
in a fixed position. Make 2 trim passes around the edges of the
property and the house first then start your passes back and forth from one side to the other. Turn where you made your trim
passes and you will not see where you turned. Good luck.

That is exactly the way its done. Well said.

LawnMower
03-08-2004, 11:53 AM
I like laying a stripe too. The only time its tough to lay a stripe is when your taking to much grass off at ones.

Theres guy in town here that dose everything to avoid laying a stripe. When hes done mowing, he pushes his leave blower over the lawn, and stands the grass back up.

Its a nice clean look, but I still like the striped look better.

specialtylc
03-08-2004, 12:00 PM
All mowers will stripe the lawn to some extent. Its just the grass blades being bent in opposite direction on alternating passes. The striping kits just make it more pronounced.

Lawn Made Easy
03-08-2004, 08:15 PM
I have an exmark 36" metro walk behind. In reading the exmark section of this site, I see that they do not offer a stripping kit for it. Anyone have any ideas on how to add this feature to this kind of mower.

Thank You

WAGS LandL
03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Lawn Made Easy,
You could try a place called York Sheet Metal. Check their web
site. I know they have them for 48" walkbehinds so they may
have them for your 36".
Good luck.