PDA

View Full Version : Demo results-Scag, Ferris, Everride, Husqvarna, JD, Exmark

mag360
03-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Well, we put six machines through the paces yesterday and I thought I'd share my opinions.

All were 60-61inch cut
Scag Turf Tiger---27hp Kohler
Ferris IS3000---27hp Kohler
Husqvarna XP6127---27hp Kohler
Everride Warrior---25hp Kawi
John Deer F687---23hp Kohler
Exmark Lazer---26hp Kohler EFI

No unit really performed poorly, these were all well designed pieces of equipment and each one had its good points, which I will try to list below.

KathysLGC
03-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Cant wait! I want to see what you thought about the Ferris. What prices did you get?

mag360
03-02-2004, 09:11 PM
In the cut quality category---we ran each mower through 4in and 5-6in grass at about 10 mph (except JD---top speed was 8.5) and the best to worst results were...

Scag/Exmark/Husky---Pretty much equal

JD---as good as the top three but we were unable to test at 10mph

Ferris/Everride---not quite at the level of the others for cutting clean at 10mph---The Everride seems geared toward cutting tall/thick grass and has an extra tall discharge chute. The clippings discharged from this mower were a little longer than those discharged from the others.

Keep in mind that this is Pa and the grass we were cutting is still dormant

All mowers dispersed cut grass evenly while cutting thick 5inch+ grass down to 3inches or so.

The striping was good (given conditions) on all mowers.

mag360
03-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Top speeds...

Everride---12mph
Husqvarna---10.5mph
Scag---10mph
Ferris---10mph
Exmark---10 mph
JD---8.5mph

deere mowers
03-02-2004, 09:18 PM
I run a Gravely ZTR , just curious why you did not try this brand? I would be very interested in hearing from a test such as the one you held. I sure like mine.

mag360
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Control feel. These are not listed in any order---just noting the different feel of the hydros on each.

Exmark/Husqvarna---very quick and responsive, jerky at first but nice once you get used to it.

Everride---Quick and responsive but smoother than the first two. (overall the nicest to operate in my opinion)

Scag---less responsive and very smooth

Ferris---smooth forward and very responsive in reverse.

JD---nice and smooth, different than the others since it is a front mount mower.

mag360
03-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Deere Mower,
We put the demo together on a whim and did not know of a gravely dealer in this area---I wish I could've run a 260 with the hydraulic deck lift though. The exmark and John Deere actually were not demo pieces---they were owned by Joshua Tree Lawn Care/and Green Spaces of Pa, respectively.

Flipperneck
03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Test em again in may and let us know.

mag360
03-02-2004, 09:50 PM
The hydro pumps were all made by Hydro-Gear(I think) and were all 10cc pumps except the Scag which ran 16cc pumps, and the Everride which I think ran 21cc pumps.

All had auxilliary oil coolers except the ferris which ran dual fans directly over the pumps (the Ferris rep said this was better than the others)

Deck drive was a shaft drive to Scag, Ferris, and JD decks
Direct belt to Husky and Everride
Mule drive belt to Exmark

Spindles were sealed, non-greasable on exmark and ferris
Greasable from the side on scag
Greasable from the top on JD and Husky
I don't remember seeing grease fitting on the Everride but I can't remember for sure.

LASTEC
03-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Hey next time someone has a test like this let me know i would like to get a Lastec mower entered in the test. email me swhite@lastec.com

mag360
03-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Flipperneck---I am testing the Ferris again when the grass greens up---but not because you told me to:cool:

My opinions on the cut quality are shared by both of the other LCO's that were there---all three of us are trying it again in green grass---all three of us feel it lacks suction---the deck design is very much like a scag advantage deck with the front baffle all the way up---the blades stick down further than the front of the deck by 1/4 in or more

mag360
03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Lastech,
I bet there are a bunch of us in the philly/jersey/delaware triangle who would demo it---I am all out of uncut grass now

I wonder if the other sponsors would be willing to participate in a lawnsite sponsor expo of some sort---any members who come out can post honest reviews for those of us who are not in the same region.

Tonyr
03-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Would of been interesting to hear your comments about the new Toro model range, e.g the 588E. I just bought one and am rapt with it.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-02-2004, 10:50 PM
lastec would be a good demo in this area

mag360
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Tonyr,
I couldn't get one from the local dealer but I watched the video and I really really like the adjustable discharge chute.

Pecker
03-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Why did you use the JD F687 instead of the JD 757? It doesn't look you are camparing apples to apples because the JD F687 is an outfront mower, not a mid-mount ZTR. The JD 757 is 60", 25 HP Kawi and mows at 10 mph as well. Just wanted to point that out. Ya can't compare a ZTR to a front mower with any accuracy.

mag360
03-03-2004, 12:01 AM
My opinion on each mower as a unit...

Ferris---I like the suspension on this mower, it really smooths out the smaller bumps and ridges.
The direct belt drive to the deck (sorry---I listed it as having a shaft drive earlier) is simple and reliable.
The hands free deck raise and lower system is nice but requires alot of force.
The deck idler pulleys are larger than the other manufacturer's and there are more of them.
With the lighter, air-cooled engine I feel that the unit could use a little more weight over the drive tires.
The high back seat looked a little funny but was very comfortable.
Fuel capacity is over 11 gallons
This machine looked very solid, felt pretty well, and cut pretty well---If I could alter it in any way I would make the front baffle on the deck adjustable, make the hydro levers easier to push, and make the spindles greaseable.
If the mower is in for repairs for over 24hrs the dealer is required to give you a free loaner until repairs are finished
Price I was quoted is $8200 cash before tax

Everride---Everything on this mower looked great to me.
The frame is of a 7gauge steel that is capable of flexing without breaking.
The front axle pivots and is linked to the deck.
A suspension seat is standard and takes enough shock out of bumps and ruts that I felt as comfortable as on the Ferris
12 gallons of fuel for all day mowing
This machine looks solid, feels great, and mows pretty well---I would only change the deck if I could. Price I was quoted is $8500 cash before tax

Scag---The new Scag sits the operator lower than before (compared to my '01)
After running the ferris and everride the stock seat was not acceptable---a suspension seat is an option though
The deck is a plus on this unit---the adjustable front baffle is a good thing.
The single tank under the seat only holds 10 gallons
The shaft drive to the deck is a good system in my opinion and the greasable spindles are a plus.
The foot deck lift requires less force than any of the others
Things I would change are---I would make it faster and make a suspension seat standard. I was quoted $8500 cash before tax with the optional suspension seat.

Husqvarna---The husky sits nice and low, like the scag, and also needs a suspension seat like the scag.
The control levers don't meet in the middle
I like that the grease points are dead center on the top of the spindles and the outside spindles can be greased through a small hole in the deck cover.
Over 11 gallons of fuel capacity
If the mower is in for repairs for 24hrs or more the dealer is required by husky to give you a free loaner until repairs are finished
Things I would change are---suspension seat standard, slightly faster speed, and I would get rid of the "official lawn care equipment of nascar" decal.

mag360
03-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ******
Why did you use the JD F687 instead of the JD 757? It doesn't look you are camparing apples to apples because the JD F687 is an outfront mower, not a mid-mount ZTR. The JD 757 is 60", 25 HP Kawi and mows at 10 mph as well. Just wanted to point that out. Ya can't compare a ZTR to a front mower with any accuracy.

******---the F687 belongs to another landscaper, he picked it up from the shop on the way over to the demo site and we took it off the trailer to see what kind of cut the JD 7iron deck leaves. I was not trying to make any offensive comments about the F687 and apologize for putting it on the top speed list where it wound up on the bottom---I did make positive comments about the deck, though:angel:

By the way---this guy just purchased a 757 and it was in but not assembled as of our demo date.

dreisman
03-03-2004, 12:25 AM
I am thinking of buying a Kubota desel. Let meknow if you test one..Thanks..

Tonyr
03-03-2004, 02:46 AM
KLC99

Very good unbias comparisons, when in the buying market posts like yours are extremely useful! Thanks!

If the chance comes your way to try the new Toro, be worth a demo, these are totally new! Lovin mine, I primarily mulch and these things are great, I'm changing the deck over tomorrow to do my 2nd batch of side discharge work, these things can really spray the clippings out, I mean really!

Wander if Toro wants another field rep, hmmmmm? LOL!

Only thing I dislike is the "largish" job to change deck over from mulch to side discharge, still getting used to working under a deck, not infront of it like my front mount I just traded that lifted the deck straight up. Keep knockin' my beer over workin' on my back! ha, ha.

KathysLGC
03-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Isn't Toro like the Ferris? Or are they like the Exmark? I can't keep up with these things.

I was quoted close to $10,000 for the Scag Turf tiger. $8500 aint bad.

mklawnman
03-03-2004, 11:15 AM
$10,000 for a Scag Turf Tiger 61" 27 Kohler if thats what u were quoted seems high. I know my dealer sells 27Kawi LC with the 61" for like $8,700 or so. Maybe shop around if you are really intrested.
I'd agree with KLC99, next time i buy a new TT im buying the suspension seat, also I believe the new TT goes 10.5mph with the bigger pumps the dealer said that it would make the TT go faster.
matt

mag360
03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Hey Matt,
I think you're right about the speed being faster on the new scag---It came in second in a race between the husky, ferris, and scag

Playboy,
I am sure that toro and exmark share a base platform
The pricing on the toros is weird though---I was quoted $8700 for the 27kohler but the price dropped to $7300 for the exact same mower with 23hp kohler

mag360
03-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Well I made the rounds yesterday to get quotes on the two pieces I liked best...

Scag Turf Tiger
27 kohler
61in advantage deck
clamshell bagger
suspension seat
$11,138 including sales tax

Husqvarna large frame XP
27 kohler
61in ACS deck
clamshell style bagger(12 bushel)
suspension seat
Exmark style striping roller
$10,138 including sales tax
(My dealer discounted an additional 6% off the total unit price for surpassing $10,000 which cancelled out Pa sales tax---we threw in the striping kit to hit that mark)

I am going today to try out a new Scag wildcat and get a quote---I really think the Wildcat is more comparable to the husky, exmark, ferris, because of the smaller pumps and belt drive to the deck.

westernmdlawn
03-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey all... just thought I'd mention some things I like about my John Deere ZTR 737. It has a 7guage deck with greasable spindles (holes in the outside covers for easy access), in fact just about everything is greasable. There are grease fiitings on the front caster wheel spindles, the deck pivot arms, and pretty much everything that hinges or moves. It has a 23hp Kawasaki engine which so far runs like a champ, with gobs of torque. Top speed is 10mph, and can usually mow at this speed if the grass is not to tall or wet. The drive system for the blades is a belt configuration with a warner electric clutch (pto). I believe there is an optional suspension seat available for this model, but I didn't get it. I've only got about 100 hours on mine now and so far haven't had much trouble. I did have one spring fail. The spring that holds tension on the idler pulley in the blades drive system failed and therefore I lost power to my blades. I was down for about a half hour, I was able to bend a new hook on the end of the spring until I got a new one in. Oh yeah.... one other thing I had trouble with last summer.... the plastic wheels on the deck on the front side, all of them were worn out and had to be replaced. This is with less than 100hours!!! They were replaced for free since it is still under warranty, but still I don't think that should have happened. I think I got it fixed thoughk, I think the deck height adjustment wasn't correct. All of the weight of the deck was always on the wheels, I found out that the deck is supposed to be suspended from the machine and the wheels are only there as a secondary support system. I think they should put swivel caster wheels on the fronts of the decks on all ZTR's, just like they front wheels are.

madmax
03-03-2004, 12:04 PM
After testing which do feel is the best. I thought about getting a feris, I heard they out proformed a Dixie Chopper. But know it doesnt seem like there are that fast.

mag360
03-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Madmax,

This is only my personal opinion but I did prefer the Scag for hydro feel, cut quality, deck drive system, the 16cc pumps, easy deck lift, and easy access to belts off the back of the mower.

I know the Exmark is also a good reliable piece but the one I ran had over 1000 hrs on it and can't be compared to the brand new demo units---I purposely said little about it

My bang for the buck favorite is the husky. It performed as well as any of the others but I don't know how to be sure of its longevity---you can see from my earlier post that I am seriously considering purchasing one---if I hadn't run it for myself and looked hard at the features I would laugh at someone who ran one, but I am convinced that it is a high quality/high performance machine.

Pecker
03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
KCL99, no offense taken. And I'm very happy to hear that you liked the deck. Mine has the 7-Iron, and I've been very impressed with it.

mag360
03-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I just saw in the everride warrior thread that the price I was qouted ($8500) is very high. Looks like I should be able to get below $7500 in this area---I will check with another dealer I heard about and post any change in price.

LASTEC
03-03-2004, 02:38 PM
I would be very willing to attened a expo "Commercial Mower Cut Off" Let me know if anyone pulls something like this together we will be there.

mag360
03-03-2004, 05:33 PM
I checked out a Wildcat today and was impressed with the comfort level of the non-suspension seat---this mower really seemed to soak in the bumps.

I like it alot but the track width is not as wide as the turf tiger and the price is only about $400 less.

mklawnman
03-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Basically that Wildcat is off of the Tiger Cub frame, just that it has the big engine and deck. I'd still get the Turf Tiger because it has a wider stance and everything on it is bigger.
Matt

rivablaster701
03-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Just purchased a 61" 23kaw Husky XP at chicagos best dealer for $6200- 6750 out the door Find me a better deal than that

scannon
03-04-2004, 10:24 PM
I was just quoted for the Husky iZ5223 (mid frame) 23 hp kaw twin...$6700.00 and for th zth5225xpql W/25hp twin kaw...$7000
Look like a good machine. Still tring to decide. Want to come to a decision by early next week. Found a turff tiger W/27 kholer 60" deck w/106 hrs. full waranty for $7200

Royalslover
03-04-2004, 11:22 PM
klc99, thanks for all the work. When I'm in the market for a Z, I will be checking out this tread.

gator-town
03-05-2004, 07:07 AM
klc99 ... this has been the most injoyable and enlightening thread that I have seen in quite a while on this forum ... you are a natural at this ... your report was thorough, unbias, and to the point ... we were hanging on every word to see if our choices would come out on top, well at least I was ... I thought all the responses were positive, and other than the need to expand your testing on more machines, you have definetly hit on something ...

Scag Turf Tiger 27 kohler 61in advantage deck clamshell bagger suspension seat $11,138 including sales tax

for my money this has always been my choice ... I have many hours on mine and never looked back ... all others would be second choice ... thanks .

KathysLGC
03-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Seems i need to continue my Scag TT search for pricing. I do like the Wildcat but your right for the few extra $00's it's worth the added features. I am one do do most of all my work even if under warrenty providing i don't have to buy parts and the Scag TT look very easy to work on. I am just trying to convince my Fiancee of the investment.
I will go to Scags web site and search for dealers in CT and start pricing them out. Thanks for sharing your honest opinions. By the wat how tall are you? This is going to be my first Z and I'm wondering if height has anything to do with rider/user comfort.

GBCS
03-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Good post on the mowers you tested. :D
The prices seem high to me because I paid $7400 for a 27HP Gravely 260Z with a suspension seat.

moonkat
03-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Chip,
Super comparo & very informative. Just the first person experiences I've been looking for.

I've posted a little more EverRide lube info at topic:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=610752#post610752

mag360
03-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Playboy,
I am 5'11'', the others were all my height or shorter and seemed to share my opinion on comfort, I guess if you are over 6' tall it is a whole different game.
Good luck this year whether you buy or not!

mag360
03-05-2004, 11:42 AM
Moonkat,

Thanks for the info on the Everride.

Anyone reading this thread should check moonkat's link for a correction on my guess that the Everride deck spindles were not greaseable. :o

mag360
03-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Well, I am going to sign the papers today on a new Husqvarna. If someone suggested doing that a month ago I'd have laughed in their face, but after putting it to work at the demo I'm sold on giving these guys a chance.

For anyone interested, the price we worked out was $11,000 even.
This price includes all the options I listed earlier in comparing the turf tiger and husky plus an auxiliary 5.5hp briggs motor on the vac (additional $500) and a 165BT back pack blower (my price $449).

I will post any problems I have with the unit as well as any problems with the Zero Down Time program from Husqvarna.

kdmaint
03-09-2004, 05:09 PM
I have been looking at the great dane riders and wb any buddy have any comments

bigshoe
03-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by LASTEC
I would be very willing to attened a expo "Commercial Mower Cut Off" Let me know if anyone pulls something like this together we will be there.

OK thought I would let you guys know That I talked to our local scag exmark dealer this weekend at the home and garden show. And their is something this happening here in Columbus - Central Ohio this weekend on the 20th and 21st. Here is who what will be there Bob-Cat, Grasshopper, Bunton, Scag, Cub Cadet, Snapper, Exmark, Toro, Ferris, Yazoo/Kees and John Deere. It is to drive and compare the top Z`s available. If any body wants some more info let me know although I do not think we will be able to cut to much with the way the weather has been.

clcare
03-09-2004, 08:59 PM
try zd21 pro from kubota you will like it alot

JDRep2
03-10-2004, 06:05 PM
I believe in fair opportunities for all, the fact is that you all are busy people.

I would relish the opportunity for a GRUDGE MATCH DAY in WI. But two major questions, when to hold it (time of year/ time of day) and where (geography).
Let the machines do the talking, what's easiest for you'll?

Grass Master
03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
KD...

I have used Great Dane mowers for years and have had very good success!

The new ZTR riders are second to none and they have the full 2 year warranty to back it up.

The Scamper walk behind is awesome. I had the good fortune of getting a 52" 17 HP at a very special price and I am very happy with it. Full 2 year warranty as well.

The biggest thing of course is dealer support. In my area I have 2 awesome Great Dane dealers that offer very good parts and service support. This is very important to me.

Which dealer(s) have Great Dane in Cleveland? I am between Akron and Youngstown and am just curious.

Try the Great Dane......I think you'll love 'em.

Tvov
04-07-2004, 06:45 PM
Criminy, how did I miss this thread? Excellent reading. The biggest reason we bought our Ferris is because of the suspension. On all the other mowers, the suspension seat was an extra cost option.

Seeing as most commercial mowers seemed to perform similarly, this is what pushed us towards Ferris.

Eric 1
04-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Wow this is great i love to see this kind of stuff. This is what i joined LS to see not all this i got low-balled feel sorry for me crap,yeah there is a place and time for some of that but it has been nonstop lately.

Thanks so much KLC99 you did us all a favor this is great honest info.

Thanks again, you da man!:cool:

jsr2741
04-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Eric 1
Wow this is great i love to see this kind of stuff. This is what i joined LS to see not all this i got low-balled feel sorry for me crap,yeah there is a place and time for some of that but it has been nonstop lately.

Thanks so much KLC99 you did us all a favor this is great honest info.

Thanks again, you da man!:cool:

The whining happens about this time every year. All those who are about to start a thread on low baller/scrubs or "I just lost an account to a scrub," I refer you to Randy J's post in the off topic forum on retromen... "Just deal with it."

mag360
09-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Well, my Husky just went over 200 hours recently and, for anyone interested, one problem to date.

We had a spindle failure at 180 hours. I was told it was due to lack of grease.
Well, it was definitely greased properly but I had noticed a problem with that spindle already and I believe it wasn't retaining grease properly.
The good news is when the spindle failed, I had an entire replacement mower on the trailer in less than 1 hour. Brandywine Power Equip. gave me no hassles and cleaned the mower for me, adjusted the parking brake, gave me some free touch up paint, and some free synthetic grease while replacing the spindles.

Overall I am satisfied with the mower so far and more than happy with my dealer and the zero down time program.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience so far.

sawman65
09-10-2004, 07:09 AM
what no hustler??

notforprofit
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
KLC99-

Sent you a PM quite a while back about your Husky . Glad to hear all is well . I picked up a Y/K 23/52 Mid Max . I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask about your unit and dealer . I'll send you another PM this afternoon or tomorrow - Gotta go for now .
P.S. Thanks for such a great post of mower comparisons !!

mag360
09-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Sawman---I am planning on adding Hustler to the list for the next demo. I am more excited about Kubota, though, as my dealer may be adding them to the lineup this fall, in which case a demo unit will definitely be on my trailer before the grass stops growing.

Mark McC
09-12-2004, 09:15 AM
I love this thread, but must ask: when do we compare the task of changing blades on these models?

Tony1045
09-12-2004, 10:16 AM
I think the bottom line, after reading all of the posts is that it comes down to personal preference. All of the machines have their good and bad points. Everyone likes something a little different. Something about one machine may be more important to you then someone else and so on. Lets not forget one important point, finding a GOOD dealer who stands behind what he sells and works with you when you have a problem. Just my two cents. Thanks

Mo Green
09-12-2004, 10:41 AM
This is like asking some one which truck is the best. Some say Ford, some Chevy, some Gmc, some Dodge. The bottom line is, you have to go with what feels right to you, which one performes best in your own opinion, and which one best suits your budget. This is a never ending battle of opinion.

mag360
09-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Mark McC----I didn't take much note on changing the blades back at the demo but I can tell you that swapping blades on my scags is much easier (with a bolt running straight up through the spindle and a nut on top) than my Husqvarna.

Tony 1045---you are absolutely right, I agree 1000%

Mark McC
09-12-2004, 03:33 PM
Mark McC----I didn't take much note on changing the blades back at the demo but I can tell you that swapping blades on my scags is much easier (with a bolt running straight up through the spindle and a nut on top) than my Husqvarna.

Thanks for that feedback, Chip. I've been looking at zeroes for next year of late and have leaned hard toward the Scag Tiger Cub, partly due to price, partly because I've heard that the Scag is a sturdier-built machine for the entry-level ZTR market.

One dealer in these parts says prices for the Cub are about to pop around $600, but I'll still wait until next year because the tax advantages of buying now simply don't make it a clear advantage to do so.

mag360
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Gearing up for a new test - standers.

Will be looking over some stand on machines in the next week or so and doing a quick write up.

Here's the tentative list.

Gravely pro stance 52 and 61

Scag v ride 52 and hopefully 61

Exmark vantage hopefully 61 old or new style controls

Wright stander rh 52 and hopefully zk and or x 61

Toro grandstand 48 and 52. Looking for a 60 to try as well

Deere quicktrac new model 52 and 61

We're most likely buying a 60-61inch machine or two but the smaller machines are readily available as demos so I decided to include them this time around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cat 320D LRR
03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
hey mag little of topic but what part of south east pa are you from i live in garnet valley. What dealers are you going through to get these demos

mag360
03-11-2013, 10:00 PM
We're pretty close - I'll list the dealers if they don't mind when I do the write up but you could find most of them by driving north for 10-15 minutes...
Posted via Mobile Device

The Don'z
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Well, we put six machines through the paces yesterday and I thought I'd share my opinions.

All were 60-61inch cut
Scag Turf Tiger---27hp Kohler
Ferris IS3000---27hp Kohler
Husqvarna XP6127---27hp Kohler
Everride Warrior---25hp Kawi
John Deer F687---23hp Kohler
Exmark Lazer---26hp Kohler EFI

No unit really performed poorly, these were all well designed pieces of equipment and each one had its good points, which I will try to list below.
what? no DC? lol

crazyflyboy30
03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=mag360;608196]My opinion on each mower as a unit...

Ferris---I like the suspension on this mower, it really smooths out the smaller bumps and ridges.
The direct belt drive to the deck (sorry---I listed it as having a shaft drive earlier) is simple and reliable.
The deck idler pulleys are larger than the other manufacturer's and there are more of them.
With the lighter, air-cooled engine I feel that the unit could use a little more weight over the drive tires.
This machine looked very solid, felt pretty well, and cut pretty well---If I could alter it in any way I would make the front baffle on the deck adjustable, make the hydro levers easier to push, and make the spindles greaseable.
If the mower is in for repairs for over 24hrs the dealer is required to give you a free loaner until repairs are finished

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/us/en/zero-turn-mowers/is3100z/key-features/

Looks greaseable to me.

mag360
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
[QUOTE=mag360;608196]My opinion on each mower as a unit...

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/us/en/zero-turn-mowers/is3100z/key-features/

Looks greaseable to me.

Yes they are now - all of my concerns with the machine were addressed over the last nine years and the 3100 series is now one of the nicest large frame zero turns on the market.
Posted via Mobile Device

drtrdr
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I bought a new Husqvarna for my first ZTR mainly because of brand loyalty. I have ridden their motorcycles since back in the 70's and have had great service with the weed eaters, chain saws and blowers. This mower is basicly worthless to me here in east tennesse because of the lack of traction on hills. On my first ride I found myself sliding sideways down the hill in my back yard. A place where my Scotts tractor had never given me a bit of concern. I actually purchased the thing to use in a residential mowing service I am trying to get started. I tend to get bored since I retired but this thing scared the crap outta me.....

The Don'z
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
drtrdr, try replacing the original tires with ATV tires with more grip but not so aggressive they rip the lawn apart, (Like my dixie chopper) After my rear tires get worn out I'm going with an ATV tire, not only better grip, less damage, cheaper, and I can get a 6-ply instead of 4
Good Luck

mag360
06-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I bought a new Husqvarna for my first ZTR mainly because of brand loyalty. I have ridden their motorcycles since back in the 70's and have had great service with the weed eaters, chain saws and blowers. This mower is basicly worthless to me here in east tennesse because of the lack of traction on hills. On my first ride I found myself sliding sideways down the hill in my back yard. A place where my Scotts tractor had never given me a bit of concern. I actually purchased the thing to use in a residential mowing service I am trying to get started. I tend to get bored since I retired but this thing scared the crap outta me.....

Our husky was too slippery also. The weight distribution is bad - you need to install weights low on the back of the machine (start at 40lbs and work your way up) until it starts behaving like the other brands. It was great with the bagger on the back but the traction without and jerky hydros was enough to make me park it with under 1000 hours in '06.

mag360
06-15-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=400642 stander demo