PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Friend Mad at me

FineScapes
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Let me know what ya think?

At the end of last season I got an account and then realized i hadn't saved enough for winter so I got another full time job and didn't have time for the account. I mowed all of my soon to be brother n laws lawns on thursday and friday (part time)and didn't have a mower just his and so i couldn't service that property anymore. Now to the point I've started my own lawn co. and have just purchased exmark laser Z 52' 2001, echo trimmer and blower.

Well I guess I got excited and this person said repeatedly oh man you can have the yard back if you get back into lawn care....I put a flyer with my original price on it and I guess he is mad at me. My brother has a 100K plus lawn business and they became friends this winter and now he (the mad friend) is saying things like oh im gonna quit as soon as i get yards or im going to pass out my business cards while on the job b.s. etc....I really need 35 to 40 hours from my brother plus my yards. He is ruining my relationship with my brother and it hurts. I can't believe some of the things I'm hearing.

All because of a flyer put on a mail box.
So do you guys think I did something wrong? I already called his answering machine and apologized but no return call and they are avoiding me. My attitude now is who cares let them think what they think my only concern is my brother he has never acted like this.

so should i even care or just keep my cool i mean we are supposed to go full time next monday

sorry to blab just upset.

Pecker
03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Well, I think you made a mistake by mixing work with family. However, this is a subjective thing and it is different for different families. I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but a brother is a brother no matter what. And how long has he known this other dude, over the Winter? Blood is supposed to be thicker than water. If someone is bad - mouthing you, a real brother would not let that happen, whether you are right or wrong. And the other guy would not run his trap very much longer after I found out he is bad-mouthing me. One way or another the bad-mouthing stops. Right or wrong, yer brother owes you an apology, IMO. I just have a problem with back - biters. But I really won't offer you any advice because I don't know the whole situation. I take it that you just needed to vent.

Turf Medic
03-02-2004, 11:11 PM
have you talked to your brother, to let him know what your plans are? Is the guy justified in saying that you are going to be taking customers of your brother's? Are you approaching customers of your brother's? Are you advertising or talking up your side business while working for your brother?

This is a tough one, I would not let someone that is working for me, have a side business that is the same type. If you worked for me you would have to make a choice, brother or not.

lawnlubber
03-03-2004, 08:14 AM
If I was your brother, I would probably give you enough business to get started. I would not keep you as an employee however.