PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Rear tires

bayoulawn
03-03-2004, 10:21 AM
What type, such as brand and model tires do most of you run on the rear of your ztr's. Are there any that are easier on turns than others. Lugged or smooth tread?

imograss
03-03-2004, 12:07 PM
J Thomas Turf Master

soccerlawn
03-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I run turf masters ( they come standard ).

GrassBlaster
03-03-2004, 05:24 PM
I have the standard turf masters, but I was thinking about some of those like on the Dixie Choppers....I just like the way they look

soccerlawn
03-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Can you put dixie chopper tires on other machines. Because I was thinking about doing that also.

MIMAINTAINCE
03-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Turf masters just got them today. Mine are made by Carlisle. I have heard good things about them, so instead of turf savers, which i do like, i bought these.

Sam-Ohio
03-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Grassblaster:

If you are refering to the bar cleat type tires that you see on many Dixie Choppers, they are a much more aggressive tread design.

While a more aggresive tread can be helpful if you are mowing on steep banks or hillsides, they also will really rip the turf if you do a zero turn.

With those treads , you will need to always do a 3 corner turn about, and avoid ever doing a zero turn.

What brand of Z are you thinking of equiping with those tires ?

The reason that DC uses these tires is their relatively high center of gravity causes some traction issues on hills.

If your Z came with Turf Masters, you will be better off to stay with them. What ever brand Z you have, it probably doesn't need the extra tire traction to work decently on hills, and you won't have the constant hassle of watching how to turn about, and not rip the turf up with too much tread.

I'll probably have all the DC owners come down on me for saying this, but if you have read this forum for a while you will have seen this this said before.