PDA

View Full Version : my conversation with a total idiot

bobbygedd
03-03-2004, 12:45 PM
i had a conversation the other day with a man, who has been running a landscape service for 22 years. i was looking for intelligent conversation, talking a little about my business plan, goals, etc. he looked at me in amusement, and here are some of the things he said: you are better off keeping your business small, if you need help like 3-4 months out of the year, you are better off driving around looking for a daily worker than having a steady helper. only keep half your clients on the books. the other half should pay cash, or a check made out to cash,even though you have to sign the back of it to cash it, there is no way they can track that. pre pay agreements are stupid, i'd rather have people owe me money for 3-4 months, this way i have something to look foward to. contracts are stupid, we are pathetic lawn men, not proffessional business men. i don't have a pesticide license. i been doin it without one for 22 yrs, nobody has the right to tell me i can't do it. if they come to my house, they'll need a search warrent, if they get one, they may find a pallet of weed control in my garage, but i'll say it's for my own property, they can't prove otherwise. uniforms are stupid. if a customer screws me out of money, as long as it's under $300, i won't even bother chasing it, it's not worth it. TRULY AMAZING

Let it Grow
03-03-2004, 01:00 PM
I never cease to be amazed by the human race!
Maybe you should ask this guy if he would be your mentor, or better yet you should see if he wants to go into partnership with you!!!

mbricker
03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
BobbyG, I see you have hillbillies in NJ too.

Maybe you oughta consider hiring him--if you don't pay him and it's less than 300 he won't worry about it. Yeah,right.

Potchkins
03-03-2004, 02:04 PM
i see you found a shur'nuff mowruun

musselman
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
He has been in it for 22 years...and wont chase money unless its $300 or more...not the way I would do it, but he must be doing something right. I would hate to be around when he does get into an accident with a mower and has no insurance to help out.
My first few years this is how I ran my LCO...I made alot...not just a little ..,alot more money than I do now so I know its hard to argue with someone who does thing the "unproffessional" way. The only advantage I have being "proffessional" is insurance that has cost me alot over the years...and Ive never had to use it once thank goodness. Ill tell you insurance, taxes, licences add up to alot ....I dont think I would call the guy an idiot just a guy taking a major gamble that has paid off for 22 years.

broken leg
03-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Ask him if he is a hunter to.

tx_angler
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by musselman
I dont think I would call the guy an idiot just a guy taking a major gamble that has paid off for 22 years.

Bobby,

You need to take this guy to Atlantic City, but don't bet against him!

bobbygedd
03-03-2004, 03:59 PM
my thought as to why he wouldn't pursue a $300 debt is simple. when you're doing something wrong(as he clearly is) you don't ruffle other peoples feathers, you know the saying, "if you live in a glass house, don't throw rocks....." i think he IS a total idiot. he also rinses his tanks and dumps the water in the sewer in front of his house. fool , needless to say, our conversation ended in an argument. everything that we're taught here, on how to be moral and ethical business people, he does the opposite. why has he exsisted 22 years? lucky, and, by no means does he live the kind of lifestyle any sane man would call "good". if someone bones him out of $300, he just eats less spam that month for dinner. i think its a damn shame

LHlandscaping
03-03-2004, 04:10 PM
That sounds all too familiar. It's people like that who make the professionals look good though. Simply put the kind of clientele he most likely attracts doesn't care about quality and I'm sure your clientele does. He obviously doesn't have any clue what lies ahead for him in the long-term scheme of things. I'm proud that you stood firm on your beliefs with the low life. You are a true business owner and he is a hick with a mower. Stay strong man, you're not alone!!!

rodfather
03-03-2004, 05:22 PM
The world is made up of all kinds bobby...just recognize what he is so you don't ever become like him.

Flipperneck
03-03-2004, 05:30 PM
You know who else makes a killing like that? Crack dealers and they have the same problem when they IRS asks how they bought a 35' yacht.

turf9
03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Should have left the truck in gear and carried on,nothin like some free advice from a real pro of 22 years.lol

ksland
03-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Well, with that attitude it probably took him 22 years just to make a living. He has been playing roulette and someday it will catch up to him. I am not saying I have always done things strickly by the books, sometimes you have to make sacrafices.

Turfdude
03-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
. he also rinses his tanks and dumps the water in the sewer in front of his house. fool , needless to say, our conversation ended in an argument. everything that we're taught here, on how to be moral and ethical business people, he does the opposite.

Glad to see you looking at things differently now that you're f/t! My question to you however is this, are you still in the practice of "midnight dumping runs"? If you still practice this, than thats not much better than someone rinsing their tank over a storm drain IMHO. Just a little something to think about. Like you said in an earlier post, its like being a little bit pregnant...

bobbygedd
03-03-2004, 08:30 PM
ahhh, turfdude, my good man, although my attitude has changed considerably since i will be feeding my kids via the almighty grass, his rinsing and my dumping are apples to oranges. although dumping a few barrels of grass in a wooded area, only to decompose and never be seen again, may be illegal, i'm not sure it's immoral. on the other hand, dumping pesticides down a sewer, that will drain into waterways, is not only immoral, but a state AND FEDERAL offense.

PaulJ
03-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Once again that nasty word "scrub" comes to mind. Just because someone has been doing it for 22 years don't make it right. No wonder we have a hard time getting respect!

mtdman
03-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a swell guy.

:D