PDA

View Full Version : wild onions how to get rid of?

knuckshemi
03-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Please help me. I need to get rid of a lot of wild onions. Put Bemunda Sod down about three years ago and one truck load is full of onions. I need help.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :confused: :confused: :confused: :blob2: :blob2:

captaingreen
03-03-2004, 03:32 PM
I would be hesitant to put herbicide down on the sod being so new, especially being warm season turf put down in winter. After it gets rooted and mowed twice, I would use an ester based herbicide if it has not died with the warmer temps. by then.

captaingreen
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Oh sh!# I'm sorry just realized the thread said 3 years not weeks, oops, I would use an ester based herb. maybe Turflon, MCPA, something in that category, being how there is little leaf surface area I would also use a spreader sticker to help adhere it to the leaf area.

MacLawnCo
03-03-2004, 04:19 PM
LOOK HERE (http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=326044&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

THIS (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26896&highlight=wild+AND+onions) one is very aplicable to you i think

leadarrows
03-03-2004, 04:50 PM
They taste good on a pot roast. LOL

tremor
03-03-2004, 06:16 PM
2,4-d ester on actively growing. Roundup on Dormant. Treat transitioning as active.

jaybird
03-04-2004, 01:32 AM
we mow some areas in jacksonville florida and at the beginning to about half way through the season i can smell those wild onions we mow about every 6-8 weeks i like it my wife hates it.

Russ
03-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Your wild onions have a very waxy coating. If you can mow em, kick em, skuff em, do anything ya can to disrupt that waxy surface your herbicide will be more effective. Ya may want to take the cameras away from your wife and neighbors prior to your pre herbicide activities. The mental pictures will be enough to entertain most people.

Doster's L & L
03-08-2004, 01:57 AM
I think i'd like to see a pic of someone kicking onions around, but that's just me. :D

I use Gordon's Trimec Classic. It's a 3 way herbicide. Has 2,4-D, MCPP and Dicamba. I usually don't kick my onions before i spray, but it lays the onions over within about a week if it's not dormant.