PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Question

Jeff's Classics
11-15-2000, 02:41 PM
First, let me introduce myself. Name's Jeff, just bought a 1976 454 Suburban, Silverado, dual air, 2WD, 90K original miles from the original owner. This thing is cherry. I've been looking for a nice older Chevy truck, blazer, or suburban off and on for several years, this is one of the best preserved trucks I've seen.
OK, on to the question. How do I know if I've got a tall-block truck engine? I am looking for a set of headers and Dynomax says theirs won't fit the tall block. I haven't scraped the oil off the stamp-pad to see which engine suffix I have, but will probably do that this evening while installing the new spark plug wires and changing the oil.
What headers do you guys recommend for a mild 454?
Any other Suburban guys on the list?
Thanks!!
Jeff

John DiMartino
11-15-2000, 04:49 PM
Welcome Jeff,good to have you here.You should not have a tall deck motor in your truck,the tall decks were put in the MD truck,and marine engines only as far as I know.It was in 427 and 366 diplacements only.

Captkaos
11-16-2000, 03:20 AM
John, you are correct. The tall decks were only offered in 427 and 366 displacements and heavy duty applications. All 1/2 tons used passenger car blocks.

Jeff's Classics
11-16-2000, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, everybody. This means that the headers I want (Dynomax CeramCoat) will fit, excellent!

roland26
11-19-2000, 08:13 PM
congrats on coming on the board. and big thumbs up on finding such a fine truck. I have a 84 GMC that has had alot of stuff done to it. the headers for the 454 will sure help it. but dont make the mistake I did and let the muff shop
install a set of their turbo muffs. my truck had cats on it and they replaced that too. I had just installed a GM crate
motor and it didnot run like I wanted it too. I finaly went to another shop. had them install a hooker maxiflo muff
( from summit). that helped some. I then orded a hi flo
cat ( summit) and that really brouht it alive. later I ditched the air filter ( a 6" open purolater) and orded a
4" k&N. when I installed it,believ it that mabe a big difference.so you see you need to try to spend your money wisely.good luck