PDA

View Full Version : Customer wants bagged...what would you do?

justmjc
03-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Hey guys, I hate bagging, but I dont really want to lose the account. It's a $30 account that takes 22 mins to service, but they want it bagged this year. I'm thinking of taking her up on it, but thinking of increasing the price $5 to $35. I'm pretty sure she'll have no problem with this.

Would you do it to keep the account? Too bad bagging slows you down a bit.

swim
03-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Charge accordingly for your time and don't forget the disposal fee. If it takes more time then bill for it. We all love what we do but we do not do it for free or all jobs for the same price. If it takes more then it will always cost more.

coonman
03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
I would do exactly what you are doing as long as its a smaller lawn. If it was a larger lawn that would require several stops to dump the bag I would skip it.

greenback
03-03-2004, 04:32 PM
i bag it every time, especially the dirty ones....oh wait you are talking about grass huh. no seriously iaround here everyone bags their grass.

scannon
03-03-2004, 04:41 PM
What type of grass is it? You could pitch them about the extra nutrients that the clippings provide?

twins_lawn_care
03-03-2004, 04:49 PM
explain the benefits of mulching versus bagging, and give them the option. Explain that you will have more labor involved, and will charge $5 more if bagged. Then they will be fully aware of their options, and can make the decision. This way, either way they choose, they feel like you gave them good knowledge of their chioces, and did not force them either way. My response has been the customers really like having that feeling when making a decision on the work I do.

gravedigger5
03-03-2004, 04:55 PM
the customer is always right, so if you want the job, just bag it and charge accordingly. I have a similar situation with a leaf removal customer wants me to mow this year, but has to be bagged, no ifs ands or buts, so I ordered a new accelerator bagger, should be in tomorrow. Marc

topher924
03-03-2004, 04:58 PM
She wants it bagged....bag it. I would charge extra also.

BSDeality
03-03-2004, 05:00 PM
i refuse to bag properties, too many valuable nutrients are lost. Not to mention the PITA factor. Any commercial mower is perfectly capable of mulching them so finely you can hardly tell it hasn't been bagged if it is cut on a regular basis.

topher924
03-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Good point. I mulch most of mine

Flipperneck
03-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Does she have a fert. program? Cause some people Juice up the lawn and run sprinklers in the rain. Charge the 5 additional and if its bad either up it next year or tack on 50 here 50 there on additional services.

2 man crew
03-03-2004, 05:28 PM
We never bag during the regular cutting season. I would say that $5.00 to bag a $30.00 is not going to be cost effective. Now for this one lawn you have to make a trip to the compost site.

It might be a different situation if you had 5 or 10 customers per day getting bagged at a rate of $15.00 extra for a $30.00 lawn.

Mdirrigation
03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Simply tell the customer that they dont bag the grass on a golf course .

justmjc
03-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Actually, I called her up and spoke with her husband. They said he'll talk it over with the wife and get back.

She said she didn't want the mulch. She thinks it's leaving too much in the yard. The yard looks great in the spring time, I don't know what she's on. I see a little ignorance in her statement. I tried to tell her it's her friend. No fert program, no dethatch, only aeration. That's all they want.

Tharrell
03-03-2004, 06:50 PM
She may be concerned about kids tracking grass into the house. Buy a Walker. See, there's always a way!

mtdman
03-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Your choice. I haven't been big on bagging, but I am considering doing it for those who ask for more $$.

Pecker
03-03-2004, 11:49 PM
I don't even own a bagger. In your case, I really don't think an additional $5 is going to make you happy. Up it $10 or $15. If you don't you'll be wishing you had when its 100 degrees outside and those clippings are all over your sweaty arms and you still have 10 minutes left of mowing and then disposal at the end of the day. You might lose them, but you are the only one who knows what it is worth to you.

GrassBustersLawn
03-04-2004, 12:09 AM
IMHO $5 extra is NOT NEAR ENOUGH. Are you going to have to haul the clippings around all day or can you leave them bagged at her house? (Usually they don't want the clippings left in bags because they'll have to haul them out to the curb on trash day.) In addition to the extra time it takes to collect and bag. Do it once to see how much longer it takes you to do the job. I'll bet it doubles your time, so you need to charge $30 extra, or you are LOSING, RIGHT? (I bet if you told her $15 extra to bag, she'd choke all over it and say just mow it as usual.) We are selling our TIME, as there are only so many hours in a season, got to get our rate!

Mike

lawnman_scott
03-04-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by ******
I don't even own a bagger. In your case, I really don't think an additional $5 is going to make you happy. Up it $10 or $15. If you don't you'll be wishing you had when its 100 degrees outside and those clippings are all over your sweaty arms and you still have 10 minutes left of mowing and then disposal at the end of the day. You might lose them, but you are the only one who knows what it is worth to you. I dont have one either, I tell my customers they dont make them for commercial mowers. But if you have to, i would think its worth more than $5.

jeff_0
03-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by 2 man crew
We never bag during the regular cutting season. I would say that $5.00 to bag a $30.00 is not going to be cost effective. Now for this one lawn you have to make a trip to the compost site.

It might be a different situation if you had 5 or 10 customers per day getting bagged at a rate of $15.00 extra for a $30.00 lawn.

I strongly agree. I only had 2 calls that wanted there yard bagged last season. I had about 50 calls for mowing.. And i picked up 23 new accts last year. it was just my second year in business for myself. Bagging for a lot of people just isn't worth the extra hassel. And for what it's really worth, most customers aren't wanting to pay it (just my 2 cents)

Turfcutters Plus
03-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Bagging is a waste of time.I'm glad i don't have to take jobs like that anymore!I only bag when picking up leaves.Just do what you gotta do.

barnard
03-04-2004, 12:15 PM
I would discourage them with the fact that I charge triple to bag and dispose of clippings $35 regular $105 bagged. Trust me they won't want it bagged.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-04-2004, 12:16 PM
If you are getting $30 for 22 minutes then however long it takes you to mow and bag you should get $1.37 per minute.

If it adds 10 minutes then charge $44. I don't think you should earn less for more work. Also do they have a place to dump the grass on site??? If not, then it would also be more for removal and disposal.

$.02

Derek

impactlandscaping
03-04-2004, 12:25 PM
We had one last year, small yard in a neighboorhood w/ 8 other accounts.We upcharged the lawn price of $ 30.00 by 15%-$4.50 extra, plus $ 3.oo per bag of clippings removed,usually around 5-$ 15.00-so $49.50 per cut, and did't take any extra time to bag other than dumping the cliipings(20sec a bag).I used the clippings with my own on my compost pile, $ 198.00 gross monthly account for about 104 minutes of work.She passed away last fall, so we have no bagged lawns anymore...

P&C Lawn Care
03-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Do what the customer wants, bag her grass, charge her a little extra.

bobbygedd
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
for us around here, it's no longer a matter of wanting or not wanting to bag, it's impossible to get rid of grass anymore, no body takes it. if they want it bagged, i will but will leave it at the property. i can bag for others if i have to, but it's a couple bucks extra, and i could only bag maybe 3-4 lawns a day, for this little, i "arrange" disposal.

gator-town
03-04-2004, 01:00 PM
I don't even own a bagger. In your case, I really don't think an additional $5 is going to make you happy. Up it $10 or $15. If you don't you'll be wishing you had when its 100 degrees outside and those clippings are all over your sweaty arms and you still have 10 minutes left of mowing and then disposal at the end of the day. You might lose them, but you are the only one who knows what it is worth to you.

an additional $5 will not make up your time, nor will it make your point, worst of all it will not make her happy ... if you bag for $5 then she will want you to trim her bush for $5 ... man thats going to really suck ... :o

The Captain
03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Bag it. Charge her the extra $5.00 and keep the clippings for your compost pile. I've got three 30 gal. plastic trash cans w/lids in the front of my trailer next to the fuel cans, just for times and jobs like this. A $30.00 cut shouldn't generate much more than a 30 gal. can full, if that, with maybe one stop to dump before you finish. (Do that while you grab a quick drink from the cooler.) Couple of extra bucks in your pocket and good customer realtions. Seems like a win, win situation for this small property.

topher924
03-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by barnard
I would discourage them with the fact that I charge triple to bag and dispose of clippings $35 regular $105 bagged. Trust me they won't want it bagged.

105 A little extreme in my opinion

specialtylc
03-05-2004, 12:35 AM
I bag every res. lawn we do. Also the appartment accts. get bagged infront of buildings and pool areas., The commercial accts. get bagged where small mowers are used to clean up trash.
We collect average 6 to 8 yards of clippings a day. Some days in spring time its 10 yards of clippings. It looks better and people dont track it in homes.

Willis
03-05-2004, 12:49 PM
I would bag it if I were you.
And for a little extra, not much extra, because they will find someone cheaper who will.

This is how I charge:

Example:

$20 stop fee + $1 per thou sq. ft. of lawn.

Or to bag it $20 stop fee and $2 per thou sq. ft. of lawn.

Example: 10,000 sf.

Non bag- $1 x 10. + $20 stop fee = $30.

Bag it- $2 x 10. + $20 stop fee = $40.

dvmcmrhp52
03-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Don't bag,won't bag.

yardfarm
03-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Bag it, charge for the service, make sure that your cut frequency doesn't drop.
Big game here is to do callouts for bagged cuts -grass is long, lush and makes for a ton of work that you can't get compensated for. I drop the customer at the first sign of this...

naturescape
03-05-2004, 04:51 PM
Don't bag the grass! YOU are the pro, YOU know that it doesn't hurt to leave it, YOU know that if anything it's going to help. Explain why grass should be left on the lawn, and do the best job of dispersal so that the customer wouldn't know otherwise. You have to stick to your own method of working, not do whatever the customer asks for.