PDA

View Full Version : weeping birch

mmacsek
03-03-2004, 06:13 PM
I have a customer that I will be doing maint. for and she asked a question about a weeping birch. The tree is about 5 ft. tall and has alot of sucker growths. These are growing straight up and drowning out the tree. She said when they are cut off they grow back pretty fast. Is there a solution or do you just keep cutting them? I don't have a picture. Thanks Matt

Grassmechanic
03-03-2004, 10:30 PM
keep pruning them back.

mmacsek
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the reply. Will this ever stop or is this on going? I don't want to sound stupid but these grow faster than what I seen on apple or walnut trees. It needs to be done at least 2 or 3 times a year. Thanks Matt

D Felix
03-04-2004, 01:41 AM
One of the consulting arborists over on arboristsite has mentioned that he is experimenting with NAA (I think that's what he said) applications on those sucker growths. I don't think he has made a determination yet, but I would think that a growth regulator applied to the cuts would possibly help to slow them down.

If the tree is only 5' tall, how long has it been since it was planted? Chances are that it's planted too deeply, which is causing the sucker growth. If you can re-set the tree, and excavate the soil around the truck to the proper depth, that may help. I would suggest the first step before that be a small hand excavation around the trunk to determine where the root flare is though.

Dan

mmacsek
03-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Dan,
The tree has been there at least 4 years. That is when I started cutting the grass. The funny thing about this tree is most pictures I see on weeping birch show the trunk growing straight up for a few feet and then weep. This one weeps close to the ground. Matt

ladibugg
03-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Is it possible that the root stock and stem graph are the only thing growing? Does the original top graph still produce? A picture is the only way to get a decent anwser.

Russ
03-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Instead of just cutting the sucker off, scrape the soil away from the root flare from which the sucker is growing. Then with a sharp knife cut the sucker or suckers sideways with the flare. Just cutting a sucker will promote additional suckers. The auxin that is responsible for cell elongation may be transfered to additional buds to promote growth of additional suckers. The lateral cut to the root flare were the sucker is growing will heal and should then transfer the auxin to the merstemic tissue, You may still have suckers but you will have a lot less and you will have a healthier plant. I think.

mmacsek
03-05-2004, 12:20 AM
I will take some pictures tomorrow and have them made to a disk. Then figure out how to post them here. I think that would be the best. I'm probably the most computer illiterate on this forum. Matt