PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina Question

CNE
03-03-2004, 06:57 PM
To fellow NC LCO's, do you set up monthly payments for your clients? How do you determine the number of mows in a year. What is the average around here? I'm in eastern NC. West of Raleigh. Do you just estimate and eat the rest if needed, or refund if you didn't mow it as many times as you predicted? I am thinking about setting some of my clients up like this and any info would be appreciated.

NCSULandscaper
03-03-2004, 07:02 PM
I am north of raleigh near the VA border. I put 32 cuts per year in my contracts. For the last few years i actually get close to that amount. If its 1 or 2 cuts off i dont worry about it, but if its another wet year like last year i have to add some to the bill. We did about 38 cuts on average last year, unbelievable. Your best bet is to figure weekly cuts from april to nov. in NC which means 8 months times 4 cuts a month is 32 cuts per season.

CNE
03-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks, but what if you only mow the yard 30 times? Do you refund or prorate the last months bill?

NCSULandscaper
03-03-2004, 07:51 PM
I dont refund. If i dont do enough cuts i find some other service thats needed that would be close to the price difference. Either way they get something for their money.

Westbrooklawn
03-03-2004, 08:13 PM
I am in Durham. I figure 41 cuts per year. 4.3 cuts per month for March through November, and 2 cuts in December (there are actually 4.3 weeks in a month....each third month you do 5 cuts if you do weekly). The early March and December cuts are really more of a "bag and cleanup" type cut.....not too much grass actually being cut, but a lot of leaves and trash being bagged.

I figure my per cut price, times 41, add any other services, and divide by 12. That is my monthly year round rate, and it has been an acceptable agreement with my customers.

NCSULandscaper
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Yea you can add in your early and late season cuts too. Usually i add those cuts to the price of fall and spring cleanups instead of additional cuts.

03-03-2004, 11:12 PM
I go with 38 cuts per year and have not had any problems. I go with 38X price per cut and then add in other services and come up with a total price and then devide by 12 to get the monthly fee. Thing to be carefull of and it will happen, you get a customer in June and everything is fine until December rolls around and they want to cancel. What I tell me customers is if they cancel early they owe me for two months out. So far I've been lucky with only two out of fifty to cancel on me early. Good luck!

Westbrooklawn
03-04-2004, 08:33 AM
On the issue of cancellations in December.......

I have wording in my agreement which states:

''The monthly billing specified in this agreement is an average monthly cost based on a 12 month period, so termination of the contract could result in an actual accounting of services provided, and a proper billing or refund to Customer'.

For example I explain to the customer that if they were to enter into an agreement with me in October and then cancelled in February, they would actually be due a refund since they received little service in Dec, Jan, and Feb. On the other hand, if they enter into an agreement with me in March and then cancel in December, they would be billed for the difference between the average price they had been paying and the actual price for services provided during that period.

GrassBlaster
03-04-2004, 11:53 AM
I figured 35 cuts from April 1 until November 30 and billed based on this.