PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone policy

PLI1
03-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Just curious if any of you out there have a cell phone policy for your employees. I plan on implementing a plan something like no cell phones allowed while on duty or calls only allowed on break or lunch. I'm leaning toward no phones allowed at all while on duty because I get extremely annoyed when their phones are ringing away while they are working plus I feel it's umprofessional. A few years ago this wasn't even an issue, but it seems now just about everyone has one.

Premo Services
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by PLI1
Just curious if any of you out there have a cell phone policy for your employees. I plan on implementing a plan something like no cell phones allowed while on duty or calls only allowed on break or lunch. I'm leaning toward no phones allowed at all while on duty because I get extremely annoyed when their phones are ringing away while they are working plus I feel it's umprofessional. A few years ago this wasn't even an issue, but it seems now just about everyone has one.

I agree 100%.. I was using temp employees last season and this year trying to find an employee. I will have something about cell phones. It is very annoying when they have the cell in their ear all the time. I will have them give their mate my cell number and it will have to be a real emergency if they call mine and interupt me!!!:mad: :eek: :mad: I also think it is unprofessional.

EastProLawn
03-03-2004, 09:25 PM
My employees are told to leave them in the truck, I have not had problem yet. I don't want to ban them completely because just in case an emergency comes up with their families and I am opened up for a lawsuit. They have no problem with it, they check their voice mail in between yards and as soon as we pull up they get off the phone. I stay on top of it so that it will ever get out of hand, just my two cents. Hope this helps

lawnman_scott
03-03-2004, 09:41 PM
I let them use mine if were in the truck. No one has ever kept theres with them when we are out working, so it hasnt been a problem.

little green guy
03-03-2004, 11:55 PM
I make sure atleast one person on the crew has one so that I can get ahold of them or if i'm sending them out to pick something up they have one incase I need to tell them something or they have a problem. For the most part I don't have a ploblem with them answering personal calls during the day as long as they are quick and It don't happen too frequently. If they start to get outta hand than I say something.

mtdman
03-04-2004, 12:08 AM
I woulda never thought of this problem. Thanks for bringing it up.

I think keeping them in the truck is a good idea. Here's the question though, what happens if the cell phone gets stolen from the truck? Is the LCO liable.

dougaustreim
03-04-2004, 09:19 AM
We have not had much problem with this. Ocassionaly some one over uses the phone, but I prefer that they carry their phones for company communication. We use to pay for six cell phones, for the employees to use to communicate with the shop and other crews and customers, now, they all have their own phones, so I only pay for mine. Our cell phone bill in the peak of the season used to be over a $1000.00 month, now is about $50.00

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

cklands
03-04-2004, 10:58 AM
I have allowed them in the truck for emergency purposes. The guys check the voice mail between properties. The problem that sometimes arises is that when they get to the next property they are still on the phone. So instead of getting right out of the truck they sit there and finish their conversation.

Eric 1
03-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Ah...one of the great points to being solo. No workers to keep up on. My policy is if i need to make a call i do it!

Blades of Steel
03-04-2004, 02:21 PM
I have 1 guy I will not work anymore because of his phone. I mad me so mad paying him 10 $ an hour to stand around for 20 to 30 minutes a day talking on that damn thing. It was "not work him anymore" or 'CHOKE THE HELL OUT OF HIM"!

Tim