PDA

View Full Version : Someone stole my pics:-\

EagleLandscape
03-04-2004, 01:47 AM
AMW-

This pic, from the index page of my website:-\
http://www.amwlawncare.com/images/wspic/mnpc.jpg

Now it's not a property I take care of, but I bought and paid for the rights to that photograph, and now he uses it on his own page.

Cut 2 Please
03-04-2004, 02:34 AM
It is posible that someone also sold him rights to that picture.

vipermanz
03-04-2004, 04:28 AM
why not just ask the guy?? http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15121

Richard Martin
03-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Here's something you can do. Instead of complaining about the use of pictures of work you didn't do (legal or not, you are still misrepresenting your work) try using pictures of your own work. Your fellow members here at Lawnsite would get upset if your images were ripped off.

Blades of Steel
03-04-2004, 06:34 AM
you know there are ways to lock pics on your website so that when someone "right-clicks" on the image it tells them that this is "write-protected" and will not allow them to capture the image. Check with your webmaster for details.

Just a thought!

Tim

kootoomootoo
03-04-2004, 06:58 AM
HE DID NOT TAKE YOUR PIC! That picture is available on many web template sites. Do a search in yahoo or google for lawn care web template or something similar and you will see them for sale with same pic for $20. Bit different though if you actually took that photo of your own work.

The Lawn Boy Pro
03-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Blades of Steel
you know there are ways to lock pics on your website so that when someone "right-clicks" on the image it tells them that this is "write-protected" and will not allow them to capture the image. Check with your webmaster for details.

Just a thought!

Tim Man, you beat me to it!:) If you do that though, you have to put watermarks on photos also, becasue that "Prt Scrn" button on the keyboard, ya'll know what that does? Press it sometime. It takes a "picture" of everything on your computer screen. Then you can go into some image editing program, and click PASTE, and walaah! you have whatever you saw on your computer screen, now in a editable picture format. So, all you would have to do is crop down to the "locked-out" photo, and then save it. Theres other ways around that garbage too, so you either have to take as many precautions as you can, or just pray hard no one will take any pics.

Blades of Steel
03-04-2004, 07:53 AM
The Lawn Boy Pro

Well it's nice to know your aware of a technique to capture images, in which there are many ways to do this. However, posting ways to capture/steal images was not the idea here. Illustrating exactly how to illegally capture images from the web is not exactly a good idea. Explaining to those who would like to steal photos doesn't exactly help matters.The print screen function has been around for years and is functionally well designed for people who have the abilities to edit images. Most thieves will not have the knowledge to do this so lets tell them how. These guys work hard to keep there website unique to there own liking.

Tim

metro-hp_48
03-04-2004, 08:14 AM
"Most thieves will not have the knowledge to do this" LOL

Who knows better than thieves how to steal anything? nobody.

naturescape
03-04-2004, 11:07 AM
metro-hp:

Well said. It's just about impossible to fool thieves with anything. The print screen key is actually pretty common knowledge, anyway.

Blades of Steel
03-04-2004, 11:28 AM
I agree that it is common knowledge but why put it out there for people to use when everyone is having problems with image theft. Nothing like adding fuel to fire..

mtdman
03-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Print screen will get you a degraded copy of the image. And even using the right click blocking script is easily worked around if you know what you are doing. There are always possibilities that people will steal your stuff on the web. A picture is nothing. I had a lawn site member steal my website and all the content I created myself last summer. Including content based on years of fliers and company literature I had used for a long time. That's about as low as you can get, and the goof still has the balls to show his face on this site.

That right click disabling function is a javascript function that will put a pop up on the screen whenever someone tries to right click on the page and do a "save image". Look here. (http://www.codelifter.com/main/javascript/norightclick1.html)

Blades of Steel
03-04-2004, 11:41 AM
mtdman,

That just SUCKS...... People don't have the brains to do it themselves or the cash to pay it done. What a bunch of losers!!!!!!!!

Tim

mtdman
03-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Yep. Worst part is, they never booted him off lawn site.

Blades of Steel
03-04-2004, 11:54 AM
yeah thats grounds to kicked off or the crap kicked out of.. Hey I like your site though. Very in depth!

The Lawn Boy Pro
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Well, if you cant think of anything else, save the image with an embedded file protection (EFP) password. I believe Linux came out with it about 3 years ago, due to the distribution of the Linux software across the internet. The same EFP can be added to photos of certain formats.

Eric 1
03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Man how cheap do they get, $20 to buy a photo, man just get a pic. of your own accounts not steel someone Else's.

lawnagent
03-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I right clicked someones lawn pic last year. It was of a beautifly striped yard. At my house it was 20 degrees and snowing outside. I right clicked it and saved it to my desktop for a background to look at and think about the season to come. But I did not use it in my biz.

EagleLandscape
03-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Then you just do View | Source, and grab the url of the image. That right-click only protects it a little bit.
Originally posted by Blades of Steel

Just a thought!

Tim

bastalker
03-05-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Here's something you can do. Instead of complaining about the use of pictures of work you didn't do (legal or not, you are still misrepresenting your work) try using pictures of your own work. Your fellow members here at Lawnsite would get upset if your images were ripped off.

That pretty much sums it up.....

If your work isn't good enough for your own pictures.....You might have a problem..

EagleLandscape
03-05-2004, 02:56 AM
Hey, I made this site in the winter. (and yards don't look very good in the winter).
So back off and sit back down in your seat. Now that the season is finally rolling again, I can get some pics of my work.
Oh, and I paid the full price to buy the template and buy it all up so no-one could use that template anymore. I paid for the "layout" not the actual pictures you moron.

bastalker
03-05-2004, 03:16 AM
Now it's not a property I take care of, but I bought and paid for the rights to that photograph, and now he uses it on his own page.

I think this is what you said in your original post. The photo of a property you dont take care of.

So you are building a web site in the middle of winter, an need pics of a lawn you dont take care of for all to see. Now you are telling me that you payed for the use of this pic on your site.
I strongly dought this is the case, for the simple fact of the way you replied to my last post. Your credibility went right out the window. Not for the fact that you called me a moron, but for the fact that you said you payed for the layout, an not the pic.

Your original post, conveyed a different story. You in fact payed for a picture, an I still stand by my statement. Put your own work on your web site, not someone elses, an quit whining about someone copying the pictures that you have copied, payed for or not, an get your own.......

metro-hp_48
03-05-2004, 03:31 AM
........"moron" did seem alittle harsh. Springs is deff. upon us, so you'll have no prob. putting your own pics on your site. Good luck this 2004 season (everyone). Was a nice pic.

*would it be "misrepresenting"? hmmm, just in my opinion, I would agree with Richard M., and say yes.
(atleast you tried to do the right thing, as far as buying the rights to use it. Alot would have just grabbed it, and used it, regardless)

Richard Martin
03-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
I paid for the "layout" not the actual pictures you moron.

And I quote you from the first post in this thread:

I bought and paid for the rights to that photograph,

Which one was it, the pictures or the layout you moron?

metro-hp_48
03-05-2004, 03:42 AM
(glad to see I'm not the only one up (semi-insomnia) at this late hour)

Have a feeling this thread is fixing to get interesting.

Soupy
03-05-2004, 03:51 AM
Even if you buy full right to a template. The people that bought partial rights to it before you are still allowed to use it. What you did was just stop anyone from buying after you.

chuckwk
03-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Now, this is closed ....