PDA

View Full Version : got my "Director" ocdc yesterday

GarPA
03-04-2004, 07:55 AM
finally ordered one of these...well made, simple design, good install instructions. Looking forward to the improved productivity with this little gizmo. Mower mfrs should considee partnering with York Sheet Metal to have these come from the factory on all new mowers.....would for sure give them a marketing edge and $300 is nothing if included in the new price for the mower

hartlawnmain
03-08-2004, 04:39 PM
I guess I'm stupid or something, but what is a OCDC? I guess I just don't recognize the initials.

MasterForm
03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
OCDC = O perator C ontrolled D ischarge C hute.

Runner
03-08-2004, 08:21 PM
There was a guy at the Metro Detroit Green Industry Expo that had a cheap knock-off if this. He just had a pull lever that slid through an eyehook. Up, or down. No adjustments or increments.

WAGS LandL
03-08-2004, 09:08 PM
GarPa,
I have one on each of my mowers and they are worth their weight
in gold. You will be amazed at the time you save with this thing.
One tip, when you lock the director open angled down, it is
perfect for blowing off walks and the edges of driveways and
parking lots.
Have fun and good luck!

GarPA
03-09-2004, 07:24 AM
yep WAGS this thing should be a real productivity booster. Its sooo simple in design. I told the marketing guy at York Sheet Metal that they should try to get in with the mower mfrs and have these things installed from the factory. The mower company that has these on a new machine would certainly have an edge over the competition...and so inexpensive at $240...pays for itself in a couple of mowing days

GarPA
03-09-2004, 07:26 AM
the main reason I walk away from most residentials is I cant put the Z on them and not have the hassle of clippings blowing into planting beds. Now thats no longer a showstopper for us

PMLAWN
03-09-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm looking at a new Exmark or Toro, Z , (500 /Lazer). The web site does not say anything about fitting on a Toro. Do you Know if they make one to fit Toro? That would sway my decision to Exmark.

WAGS LandL
03-09-2004, 08:53 AM
GarPa,
I do 90% residential and love it. I live in York and mow the home
of the ex-pres. of York Sheet Metal and I sub-mow for the guy
who designed the Director. They used my 48" LHP for the pattern
last winter. You will love the results.

PM,
I am not sure but the last I knew the Director does not fit on the
Toro decks. I know it does not fit on the SFS deck. The Director
was designed for exmark decks (all the Lazers and they have them for the walk-behinds know too). They do have them for
Scag riders now. But with that said go exmark all the way, you
will not be disappointed.

GarPA
03-09-2004, 09:07 AM
well I often admit I dont know much about commercial mowers as I've only been around them for a few years. One thing I do know for sure is that my hp52 will go just about anywhere, takes a lickin and keeps tickin, and makes a fabulous cut.

and can handle multiple acre properties with speed.

I'm still amazed how much money this relatively small machine earns for me and with the Director

charlies
03-09-2004, 09:28 AM
as soon as our beginning of the season maintenance dies down, i'm planning on fabricating some for our mowers.

MR. Nomo
03-09-2004, 12:37 PM
What are some other companies that make this type of deflector?

Masterchute does not fit my Hustler.

I believe this could be very beneficial doing my "new" commercial accounts!

HarryD
03-09-2004, 01:06 PM
The master chute will probably fit on any mower. You mite have to drill a hole or 2 to make it work. I think most guys can do a Little fabricating to make things work but then again some guys have a shop do everything to there mowers cuz they cant

Buckeye1
03-09-2004, 01:49 PM
kwikchute.com
ezchute.com
trimmertrap.com

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
TrimmerTrap's is about 1/2 the prices from above....

Derek

samman
03-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Any ideas on a Grasshopper front mount?

MR. Nomo
03-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks Buckeye!!!

chevyman1
03-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Dixie Chopper is the original company for the OCDC, and it works fantastic for blocking clippings from going into flowers or on sidewalks, and helps you mulch great

precisionlawninc
03-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Mr. Nomo,

Let me know if you find some type of director/masterchute that you like. I have a Hustler 23/60 also and am looking for the same. I've talked to York Sheet Metal about designing a Director for the Hustler but haven't heard back.

GarPA
03-09-2004, 06:03 PM
ok here goes another one of my stupid-mower-questions...

had my "mechanic" install it today ( no I dont want to bother doing it myself...he charges less than what I make per hour...heh heh heh)

anyway, he followed the instructions and drilled the first hole as directions indicated. But the control sticks didn't clear when extended outward....so, I now have one see-thru hole in the deck. Will this little hole affect the performance of the deck either with or without the vac system on? If so, I guess I can put a short bolt and nut thru there right?

Now hows that for a no-brainer ? At least you guys have taught me enough to consider airflow performance....thanks for your indulgence (no laughing please)

johnbast3
03-09-2004, 06:39 PM
GarPa,
Where did you get one for 249??Thanks

GarPA
03-09-2004, 06:52 PM
John...I got it shipped from the mfr...just type in York Sheet Metal in your browser...when you hit their site, page down to the "Director"...if I'm not mistaken, there isn't even a shipping fee but then I live only about 30 miles from them...be careful how you drill the holes so they clear the sticks if its a Z....

johnbast3
03-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.I found them-looks like a great product.I will call them in the am to see if they can fit a Surfer and a Scag wb..John

GarPA
03-09-2004, 07:31 PM
John...even if they cant fit your machine right now, the more calls they get, the more likely they will retrofit their design to other machines....so be persistent ...they are just like us..they respond to market demand...

mowerconsultant
03-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by MR. Nomo
What are some other companies that make this type of deflector?

Masterchute does not fit my Hustler.

www.qwikchute.com

The Qwik Chute works great.

Pj

Lawn-Scapes
03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
GarPA.. welcome to the ocdc club. I don't believe you will have any performance issues with the little hole. It probably will clog up in your first swipe.

HustlerZman
03-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks mowerconsultant!!

That ocdc looks great does anybody have any direct experience with this chute?

Any performance, durability issues?

butler L&S
03-09-2004, 08:24 PM
I put a director on my 52' Lazer HP and liked so much I put one on my 60' full size Lazer. I did'nt realize they make one for Turf Tracers. I have 2 52' TTHPs and just ordered an Ez chute for one of them. I hope it works as well as the director.

GarPA
03-09-2004, 08:58 PM
Tom......thanks

CTservices
03-09-2004, 09:06 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52064