PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Sprayers: Jet vs. Mechanical Agitation

DoubleCutter
03-04-2004, 09:10 AM
After shopping around for sprayers yesterday Im a bit confused. Well not confused but need a straight up opinion.
I can get a 200 gallon sprayer start-up (just need nozzle), For bout 2950.00 Ploy tank 5.5 hp 9.5 gpm, max psi 550. Sounds perfect to me. However my brother in law is saying that Jet agitation is no good yada yada yada. BUt The only time I think jet would be a downfall is obviously with wettable powders, and the mixing ratio to those are soo low I dont see it being an issue. Im really just planning on using this for tick spraying.
In order to get a mechanical agitated sprayer from Lesco I have to step up to the fiberglass series Which will run me bout 4200.00 But It comes with higher hp 8.0 higher gpm, 14 and the same max psi.
I dont like cheaping out, but the mechanical agitated sprayer seems better, but also seems like more can break down on it.

Please give me your opinion.
PS where else can I buy sprayers at?
Bill

Got my License on the first try!!!!

MN Wildwood
03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I have never done "tick" spraying, but if the pesticide is liquid I think the jet agitation would be fine. I purchased a Lesco 200 Gal. side mount sprayer last year for spraying herbicide and it works wonderfully. The only issue I've heard with granular formulas is that it can me somewhat more abrasive on the pump housing and can over time and amount of usage cause some additional repairs. Hope this helps, congrats an getting your license. MN Wildwood

Grassmechanic
03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Jet agitation will work just fine for what you need. Lesco's 200 gal. Space Savers are awesome.

The Lawn Crew
03-04-2004, 09:47 PM
If you use a WDG, for example, Pendimethalin, it will clog using jet agitation. Stick with an EC.

tremor
03-05-2004, 09:11 AM
For Ticks get Jet. Mechanical agitation is for keeping heavy things in suspension as previously posted. 1.5 oz of Tempo per 100 gl's wouldn't settle out even if you had no agitation at all.

Steve

(Certified Arborist since '87, treated for Lyme twice, sell the same sprayer you're looking at & have for 14 years in the same state Lyme is named for. My Uncle sold the land the first case was likely vectored on LOL)

DoubleCutter
03-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Steve, Nice to see a fellow Connecticant here. Do you work for Lesco, Or just sell the sprayers at a business you own?
Id like to be your mentor......We didnt learn squat at our classes on exactly "how" you spray.....And thats how in terms of everything.
TIA
Bill

Ric
03-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Jet agitation is more than likely used by 95% of the lawn spray companies in the USA. Reason is, it effective for most application and it is more economical than mechanical to buy.

Two words are important here 1. Solutions. & 2. Suspensions.

1. Solutions once mixed will stay dispersed with in the water and will not precipitate. (settle) There is no need to agitate solutions.

2. Suspensions do Precipitate and require constant agitation. Most D-30 hy pro pump set ups have two way control valve that allows you to either agitate or spray, but not both. When in the spray mode, they dump the excess back into the tank. However this does not go Thur a agitation ventura. Therefore you do not get a true agitation.

I have installed a extra pressure regulator on the D-30 manifold to allow true agitation thur the ventura line. Even when spraying the pump is agitating the overage thur the ventura and when the gun is turn off the full output of the pump agitates thur the ventura.

ARBOR GREEN sold by Lesco and patented by Davey Tree, is a wonderful slow release for trees and other application. However it is very hard to keep suspended. Constant true agitation is required to use this product. Once you turn off the agitation you can watch it settle in a matter of seconds. To re-agitate you might have to use wand on your hose a stirrer the tank.

I am a agitation nut. Too much is better than not enough. I believe in a lot of agitation. Not only you guys but My chemical tank.

James Cormier
03-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Good post ric & tremor,

Couple other tanks to look at are greggson clark, and grahams lawn in GA. They will sell you the truck and all.

I was happy to sell all my tanks and use the perma greens, no more worries about 300gallons or mix slosshing around behind me.

tremor
03-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Bill,

Yes I'm with Leasco 14 years.
We can hook up for lunch. Email. sls247@lesco.com

Ric, Loveland (now owned by Helena?) made a Zanthum Gum material that is great at keeping ArborGreen is suspension. I have a bottle squirreled away in the garage. If you need the name let me know.

D-30 pumps as we regulate & use them, can be adjusted for sick agitation. But not as demonstrated by most of our associates.

Fourth "click". Thumb wheel turn counter clockwise (more pressure) to hold around 400 static psi with the bypass valve closed. Then open the bypass valve slowly to 150 psi. Bingo!
Good operating pressure & brisk agitation.

That or just use an N-Sure Triazone Urea based slowrelease Nitrogen fertilizer. But really there is still no comparison to ArborGreen.

A recent study indicated there is only one element most trees need.

NITROGEN. All the rest is a very careful balancing act where most of what we apply is not needed & might just create difficult imbalances that trees have difficulty overcoming.

And Mcorrhizae innoculation is basically just a money making myth for the handful of small companies that are soon to be history.

In general, I am inclined to agree.

Steve

Ric
03-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Tremor

Steve thanks for the info on Arbor Green and how to better keep it suspended.

Yes I would adjust the agitation valve to do double duty with out the second regulator. However I Found using a second regulator was not only easier buy more consistent. The old D 19 Hy Pro pump had only one by pass line and it agitated all the time. However it was not big enough to push agitation on more than a 50 gallon tank. The D 30 at 9 GPM is maxi-ed out on a 200 gallon tank IMHO. My main lawn pump is a Hydra-cell 25 and it puts out 25 gallons a minute.

tremor
03-05-2004, 11:04 PM
HydraCell is my favorite pump. But, yike$ pricey. Last forever though.

I like the dual regulator idea. My above mentioned cheat is not noted for consistent regulation but it works.

"Support" was the Loveland Chemical material we used. I just checked the bottle.